Honda VTX Forum banner

Ape Hangers on a VTX

7K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Carioca 
#1 ·
I am considering installing ape hangers on my X. I was wondering if there is any advice I should follow before I spend the bucks. Also, does anyone have pictures of an X with ape hangers? I'd love to see what it looks like.

#2 ·
GreenValley has 14" apes on his R...I sat on it when he was in Memphis. It fit perfect and i was never fond of apes until now. 8)

I know quite a few other do have them. They look good if done right. Might at well get the braid cables when you do it, doesn't look right with the black cables. JMHO

#3 ·
Buy the bars and risers (If changing) first, put them on and measure for cable - brake line lenghth before you order them - they are custom made and are non returnable, so you got to get 'em right the first time. you will also need to splice the wiring and add length on both sides.

#4 ·
hdavis said:
I am considering installing ape hangers on my X. I was wondering if there is any advice I should follow before I spend the bucks. Also, does anyone have pictures of an X with ape hangers? I'd love to see what it looks like.
Why do you want to do that to your bike - don't you like it?

#5 ·
kathymc7719 said:
hdavis said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny....I don't care who you are....

#6 ·
I've got 16" apes with 1-1/2" risers. They're also fat 1-1/2" diameter which looks very nice. The wiring is all internal (run through the bars) which is also nice - and clean looking. If you order from www.ridevmc.com they'll hook you up with everything you need.They've done this many times before and have kits available with all of the appropriate cables etc. I just called and said "I want to install 16" apes on my VTX" and they sent everything I needed.

As for
No, I love it! Doing this looks awesome and is so much more comfortable. I've converted several skeptics by simply letting them sit on my bike. 8)

#7 ·
kathymc7719 said:
hdavis said:
Many members here have apes... you know what they say about OPINONS -- I don't like windsheilds on a bike, but when a member asks about them, I try to offer constructive criticism instead of disrespecting his or her taste...

Floodgates 8)

#8 ·
twin1300 said:
kathymc7719 said:
hdavis said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny....I don't care who you are....
Twin... I'm not surprised that you found it funny -- SMI's are usually easily amused :wink: :lol:

Floodgates 8)

#9 ·
hdavis said:
Hi and welcome to the board! There are many members on here with Apes, and I'm sure they will chime in with pictures & advise. I should have my 16" Apes on by the end of the week, and will post pictures. I went for the 1.5" bars... personally, I thought the big bars looked best on the VTX. As far as height goes... it's whatever you're comfortable with. I rode a softail with 14" Apes and was thinking that an extra 2" would be just right.

Floodgates 8)

#10 ·
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
kathymc7719 said:
hdavis said:

Twin... I'm not surprised that you found it funny -- SMI's are usually easily amused :wink: :lol:

Floodgates 8)
I wasn't mocking the ape hangers......you gotta admit....her brutal honesty was funny. Glad you saw it the same way.... :wink:

............twin 8)

#11 ·
twin1300 said:
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
kathymc7719 said:
hdavis said:

Floodgates 8)
I wasn't mocking the ape hangers......you gotta admit....her brutal honesty was funny. Glad you saw it the same way.... :wink:

............twin 8)

I wasn't amused... but then again I'm not an SMI! :wink:

Floodgates 8)

#12 ·
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
kathymc7719 said:
[quote="hdavis":17ystl71]I am considering installing ape hangers on my X. I was wondering if there is any advice I should follow before I spend the bucks. Also, does anyone have pictures of an X with ape hangers? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Floodgates 8)

............twin 8)

Floodgates 8)[/quote:17ystl71]

Sorry floodgate - it was meant to be funny. Lighten up a little - we got a holiday coming up tomorrow & ya don't wanna be all tensed up for where ever you'll be riding . . . .

BTW what is a SMI? (just so I know what names you're calling me) :p

#13 ·
MaxChaos said:
I've got 16" apes with 1-1/2" risers. They're also fat 1-1/2" diameter which looks very nice. The wiring is all internal (run through the bars) which is also nice - and clean looking. If you order from www.ridevmc.com they'll hook you up with everything you need.They've done this many times before and have kits available with all of the appropriate cables etc. I just called and said "I want to install 16" apes on my VTX" and they sent everything I needed.

As for
No, I love it! Doing this looks awesome and is so much more comfortable. I've converted several skeptics by simply letting them sit on my bike. 8)

Hey, how Tall are you, im thinking on going with the 18" Apes, I am 5'11"

#15 ·
Floodgates wrote:
twin1300 wrote:
Floodgates wrote:
twin1300 wrote:
kathymc7719 wrote:
hdavis wrote:

That's funny....I don't care who you are....

Twin... I'm not surprised that you found it funny -- SMI's are usually easily amused

Floodgates

I wasn't mocking the ape hangers......you gotta admit....her brutal honesty was funny. Glad you saw it the same way....

............twin

I wasn't amused... but then again I'm not an SMI!

Floodgates

Sorry floodgate - it was meant to be funny. Lighten up a little - we got a holiday coming up tomorrow & ya don't wanna be all tensed up for where ever you'll be riding . . . .

BTW what is a SMI? (just so I know what names you're calling me)
I don't know what SMI means; and I'm not really offended by the comments in the way my homey Floodgates seems to be. However I don't see the point in "sniping" at people in this thread - which is essentially what you and twin are doing. hdavis made a simple and sincere inquiry about apes, you guys have now in essence hijacked the thread and offered absolutely no insight of value to the person who started the thread. I love humor but I'd try to keep it in a more positive and relevant context in the future. You can be funny and substantive at the same time if you'll just stick to topics with which you have some knowledge and experience. Peace, Max

#16 ·
Hey, how Tall are you, im thinking on going with the 18" Apes, I am 5'11"
jmontes,

I'm 5'8" with short legs (29-30" inseam), longer torso. Sounds like 18" would probably have you set up about the way I am. I love it by the way. I take the occasional long trip and am really, really comfortable. I don't know if you saw my other thread but I just did 1000+ miles (Keystone CO to College Station TX) in 17 hours - you just can't do that if you're not really comfortable. Note also I'm sitting on a Mustang seat which sits me slightly higher and more forward than stock.

Max

#17 ·
kathymc7719 said:
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
Floodgates said:
twin1300 said:
[quote="kathymc7719":1hpgwehb][quote="hdavis":1hpgwehb]I am considering installing ape hangers on my X. I was wondering if there is any advice I should follow before I spend the bucks. Also, does anyone have pictures of an X with ape hangers? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Floodgates 8)

............twin 8)

Floodgates 8)[/quote:1hpgwehb]

BTW what is a SMI? (just so I know what names you're calling me) :p[/quote:1hpgwehb]

Thanks kathy........... :wink: :D :D :D I thought your sense of humor was spot on and intelligent. I got a good laugh anyway.

You see guys....that's hijacking..........Kathy was just being funny....How come you guys just get to judge whether it's humor or not. You mean you are only the funny guys on here.....Now that's SMI.

Happy 4 th of July everyone......

................................. :D twin

#19 ·
Floodgates said:
BornOnFire said:
SMI = Small Minded Individual.
Close... very close but no cigar! Individual is not quite what I had in mind... :wink:

Floodgates 8)
Come on Floodgate - ya got a burr in your saddle today? :?

#20 ·
kathymc7719 said:

BTW what is a SMI? (just so I know what names you're calling me) :p
Don't apologize to me... your comment was directed at "hdavis" (remember, just because Twin finds something amusing, doesn't make it a joke)... BTW my holiday came and went (July 1st)... and yes I had a great time out on my bike...

Floodgates 8)

#21 ·
kathymc7719 said:
Floodgates said:
BornOnFire said:
SMI = Small Minded Individual.
Close... very close but no cigar! Individual is not quite what I had in mind... :wink:

Floodgates 8)
Come on Floodgate - ya got a burr in your saddle today? :?
The thread is about Apes... what have you contributed so far??? Like Max said... you can be funny all you want, but at least try to contribute something.... :roll:

Floodgates 8)

#22 ·
hdavis said:
hdavis,

Here are some pics I took of my X right after I installed my apes, I went with the wild1 psycho chubby 20" apes. I have better pics on my home computer that are more recent that I will try to post tonight. It is a good idea to buy the bars first and mock them up so when you order cables and lines you get what you need. I went through Viking and they knew what I needed based on what i ordered, sort of a one stop shop. With that said I still would have liked about an inch more on the cables they sent me. The most tedious part to me was extending the electrical where I soldered in extensions, but some here have used harnesses. MinXrider is a good source for info on the apes as he's done a few bikes, plus I believe has done them with harnesses so...

As far as performance goes when I bought mine I was going for looks alone but was pleasantly suprised to find I was much more comfortable with the apes. I personally have no problem with slow speeds or parking lots like many would think and have done many long rides with no comfort issues as opposed to the stock bars that had me hunched over (I have no idea how the drag bar guys do it). Cornering to me is easier due to the fact that the bike leans easier because of the added leverage the bars offer, think power steering.

p.s. You'll find many that don't like the looks of apes and want to make comments, that alone should tell you you're doing something right. :wink: :twisted:

#23 ·
This wouldn't have gotten so hijacked if you hadn't thrown a fit and started calling people names, Floodgates. It's a joke. Relax. Talk about a small minded person.

My contribution: See if you can find someone's bike to sit on before you make a decision. It'd suck to spend all that money and then find out they're too high and your hands go numb.

#24 ·
DasAlbatross said:
This wouldn't have gotten so hijacked if you hadn't thrown a fit and started calling people names, Floodgates. It's a joke. Relax. Talk about a small minded person.

My contribution: See if you can find someone's bike to sit on before you make a decision. It'd suck to spend all that money and then find out they're too high and your hands go numb.
Das gets A for contributing to the thread... Oh and it's SMI -- get it right! :wink:

Floodgates 8)

#25 ·
hdavis said:
I sat on MaxC's bike and I have to admit I was supprised at how good the apes felt. However that being said I think it is good advise to see if someone in your area might have them so you can get a feel. Personally think I would have liked Mini-Apes better, say something around 10-12". Going with Viking is good advise also.

Fgates....you're going to love how PHAT those 1.5" bars look. I love my 1 1/4" bars and MaxC's 1.5" bars were soooooooo sweet. It really makes it pop especially in person.

#26 ·
Xlr8 said:
I sat on MaxC's bike and I have to admit I was supprised at how good the apes felt. However that being said I think it is good advise to see if someone in your area might have them so you can get a feel. Personally think I would have liked Mini-Apes better, say something around 10-12". Going with Viking is good advise also.

Fgates....you're going to love how PHAT those 1.5" bars look. I love my 1 1/4" bars and MaxC's 1.5" bars were soooooooo sweet. It really makes it pop especially in person.
Hey Xlr8... I'm supposed to get them tomorrow. Can't wait man! How the Spanish lessons coming?

Take care... :wink:

Floodgates 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.