Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I got some very good use out of Samsung 9 on my 7200 mile ride back in May, though I did learn that Google maps doesn't always show the quickest route, it can try to shave off one mile by adding an hour. Depending on your mood and how many miles you have already done, an extra few miles on the highway beats stop-and-go on secondary roads.
Yes, I also need reading glasses and because of that the screen sometimes just isn't clear enough and I do miss some exits or road changes.
Locally here in Colorado, this being my 12th season owning my 2003 1800s, there is no need for maps any longer.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Ha, talk about google maps. Several years ago, myself and a lifelong buddy were touring up through New England.This was after one of the major hurricanes. I think we were in Vermont. He was a big believer in that google crap while I always favored current paper maps. Well we were in some goddamn place and had to get down to U.S. rt 7. We wound up going about 5 miles down some damn road that had just been pioneered by dozers. One of the guys operating a dozer hailed us and asked 'where the flock are you guys going' We are trying to get to US 7. He said 'do you have any dirtbike experience' I said yes we did as we had both bought Yamaha DT 400s a couple years earlier. Holy shit, that was some ride for a VTX1800C and an HD Fatboy. I still have a good ding in my frame rail from some damn rock. When we came out at the bottom the look on the flaggers face was worth a thousand bucks. Aint nothing like motorcycling fellas.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
If google maps has a setting for "scenic route", I haven't found it. I'm not all about miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles on interstates. I use a site called "My Scenic Drives" and the old Tripmaker site used to allow you to "customize" your trip planning via scenic routes. The map layout from My Scenic Drives can be uploaded into some navigation systems. Not sure about the newer wing systems, but I'll try on the new 2020 I just picked up. If not, I'll listen to Siri on my phone and headset. If your phone heats up too much, leave it in your inside pocket on your jacket and ride on. Rode 287 from Decatur, Texas to Amarillo, Texas the first week in August on the '18 wing and had no phone problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
well.... googie maps .... I do use map app on my iPhone and I do put it on the bars. Ram mount thingy. I have an old gps I have thought of hooking up..... might need to try that again

·
Registered
38,630 Posts
Ha, talk about google maps. Several years ago, myself and a lifelong buddy were touring up through New England.This was after one of the major hurricanes. I think we were in Vermont. He was a big believer in that google crap while I always favored current paper maps. Well we were in some goddamn place and had to get down to U.S. rt 7. We wound up going about 5 miles down some damn road that had just been pioneered by dozers. One of the guys operating a dozer hailed us and asked 'where the flock are you guys going' We are trying to get to US 7. He said 'do you have any dirtbike experience' I said yes we did as we had both bought Yamaha DT 400s a couple years earlier. Holy shit, that was some ride for a VTX1800C and an HD Fatboy. I still have a good ding in my frame rail from some damn rock. When we came out at the bottom the look on the flaggers face was worth a thousand bucks. Aint nothing like motorcycling fellas.
Like a lot of things these days, map reading has become a lost art.
(But not for us Old-timers.)

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
well.... googie maps .... I do use map app on my iPhone and I do put it on the bars. Ram mount thingy. I have an old gps I have thought of hooking up..... might need to try that again
FYI…Have a Garmin hardwired to aux. fuse box….keyed on…served me well…have a cell phone mount but rarely use it…good luck

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have been mounting my iphone on my handlebars since I started riding again this past February. I have a shock damping mount. but putting that aside.

if the phone is mounted in the center of the bars the vibration is minimized.
if you are not using your camera while riding, the stabilization feature that gets affected isn't active, therefore it won't get damaged.

use a helmet cam designed for motorcycles, not your phone to record your adventures.

I use mine for music through my helmet Sena system, but the phone stays off (unless I am using the GPS)., I have a set of chubby buttons strapped to my right arm so I can control volume, advance to another song, or pause the music.

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,238 Posts
My iPhone 11 is suffering from this issue. I have been mounting it to my bars on the left side for a while. Mostly because I plug it in to use Relive app and play music. Sometime I use Google maps for route planning but mostly with the screen off and just the turn by turn in my ear.

I use a Ram x grip mount. I have used the camera while it’s mounted, I wonder if this is the cause. Anyhow, it mostly effects close up photos and I can get it to stop and focus, but it’s a PITA. My employer replaces my phone every 2 years, almost time for this to happen.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My iPhone 11 is suffering from this issue. I have been mounting it to my bars on the left side for a while. Mostly because I plug it in to use Relive app and play music. Sometime I use Google maps for route planning but mostly with the screen off and just the turn by turn in my ear.

I use a Ram x grip mount. I have used the camera while it’s mounted, I wonder if this is the cause. Anyhow, it mostly effects close up photos and I can get it to stop and focus, but it’s a PITA. My employer replaces my phone every 2 years, almost time for this to happen.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

as I have understood it from our corporate apple rep. using the camera while the motorcycle is active (engine running) is what causes the issue. when the camera is active the image stabilization "motor" (for lack of a better term) is active, and the vibration causes it to malfunction as it is trying to compensate for the movement of the camera, but isn't designed to compensate for anything more than a humans jittery hands, the vibration of the motorcycle is 10,000% beyond its capability.

so not using the camera while riding will prevent the issue, also as I noted having the phone mounted at the center instead of the sides of the bars greatly reduces the vibration as well. using a vibration damping mount is also helpful, though not cheap. about $100 for all the required parts to make it work right.

mount:
Amazon.com: Quad Lock Motorcycle Handlebar Mount for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Phones : Automotive
dampener:
Amazon.com: Quad Lock Motorcycle Vibration Dampener : Automotive
cases:
Amazon.com : quad lock case

Reactions: a2rbnud
1 - 12 of 12 Posts