Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Time to introduce some sober thinking. Thanks RBS.

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
The flaw in your logic is that this virus is new to us and as such it may be more or less of a problem than it already is. A few things that are known is that it spreads easily, the mortality rate is much, much higher than the flu for those who contract it, and there is no vaccine available. It gets to run its course before the contracted either get well, or die.
While I won't deny that the news industry is not likely to let a good crisis go to waste, I do believe that an over-abundance of caution with this is wise, at least until more is known about it. It has already mutated at least once and the newest strain is much more problematical for us than the original. If we chalk the "crisis" up to simple greed on the part of the news industry and let our guard down as a result there's a good chance it could get out of hand and be a true crisis, much quicker than anyone anticipates, and possibly more quickly than we can effectively deal with.
At this point I think that erring on the side of caution is the wise move. Especially for the older folks who have already been proven to be more susceptible to dire consequences.

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The flaw in your logic is that this virus is new to us and as such it may be more or less of a problem than it already is. A few things that are known is that it spreads easily, the mortality rate is much, much higher than the flu for those who contract it, and there is no vaccine available. It gets to run its course before the contracted either get well, or die.
While I won't deny that the news industry is not likely to let a good crisis go to waste, I do believe that an over-abundance of caution with this is wise, at least until more is known about it. It has already mutated at least once and the newest strain is much more problematical for us than the original. If we chalk the "crisis" up to simple greed on the part of the news industry and let our guard down as a result there's a good chance it could get out of hand and be a true crisis, much quicker than anyone anticipates, and possibly more quickly than we can effectively deal with.
At this point I think that erring on the side of caution is the wise move. Especially for the older folks who have already been proven to be more susceptible to dire consequences.
I'm not buying any of it!
What's the motto of the MSM - If It Bleeds,It Leads.
I've read articles stating a 3% mortality rate.
So, if that's the case, that's a 97% survival rate, is it not?

I believe it's serious, just not as bad as the MSM want's us to believe.

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
3% is about 4.5 times the mortality rate of the flu, which is .7%. It is serious. I'm not arguing that they're hyping this to earn ratings and revenue, I am saying that in hindsight them doing so just might prove to be a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
3% is about 4.5 times the mortality rate of the flu, which is .7%. It is serious. I'm not arguing that they're hyping this to earn ratings and revenue, I am saying that in hindsight them doing so just might prove to be a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.
I think due diligence is in order, but I agree that the media is whipping this up into something it is not. Hysteria isn't beneficial. Education is, IMO. So IMO, should we sit back and let it happen and avoid any and all precaution against spread and infection. I, like you, don't think that wise. Falsely induced panic will only serve to create a situation ending in some wrong doing. I will bet that at some point, some poor bugger gets shot because he/she was sick ... maybe not even with COVID-19. Remain calm and logical has far more benefit for the masses.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Do like Trump and all big investors, with the stock market tanking lately.......BUY! BUY! BUY!

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't know where all the panic is.
Articles I'm reading state that ppl are hoarding TP , & hand sanitizer is going for
hundreds of dollars a bottle.

Went grocery shopping today, plenty of both on their respective shelves, at the usual prices. :confused:

That being said, I guess I'm a prime candidate to get the virus.
Late 60s, with Pulmonary problems already.

So, just in case I do get it, I made sure to put 125 miles on the bike today.
Sunny, and depending where I was, upper 60s to lo 70s.(y)

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some thoughts, feel free to yell at me.

What is weird to me about the Corona Virus is that it has been covered and reacted to in a way I have never seen before.

We can quibble about infection rates and how deadly it is, but a few things are not debatable.
This article for example.

The premise is that a patient has recovered after getting HIV treatment. GREAT.

But at this point I would assume that tens of thousands have recovered, because somewhere between 97% and 99% RECOVER.

Coronavirus patient 'recovers after being treated with a HIV drug' Miguel Angel Benitez - Spain's first case - is said to have made a full recovery at the Virgen del Rocio Hospital in Seville after being treated with Kaletra. The hunt for a cure by 2021 is on track. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8077889/Coronavirus-patient-recovers-treated-HIV-drug.html
Why is this being treated as a miracle, the article doesn't list the patients condition when he was admitted or hint that he was brought back from the brink.

The article seems tailor made to aid in the panic.

The Virus originated in China, and millions were quarantined, which was unheard of and shocking.

Manufacturing shut down, media blackouts, etc.

We had no choice to assume that something truly awful was going on.
But the virus is out now, we can see its effects around the world without the thumb of the Chinese government on it.

I am not panicked by what I am seeing, but yet I am seeing a panicked RESPONSE.
Global markets are fluctuating, supply lines are broken, etc

But it all feels surreal, because the underlying reason doesn't compute.

People are recovering unaided, most of the overwhelming of the system is due to panic, not inability to treat the sick.
I have no idea if the Corona Virus is "the big one" or not, but what I will tell you is that the effect does not match the cause.

Something is off about everything that is happening.

I think that we should all take the proper precautions, it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise
BUT.

If I were going to engineer a scenario in which the Chinese government was going to attack the United States financially, stall our economy, create havoc in society, and hurt Trump's reelection chances in the fall...

I could not come up with a better plan than this.
NOTICE: Don't take medical advice from a Video Meme Doctor. You should heed public warnings and listen to medical professionals.

These are my thoughts about what I am seeing.

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
Yeah, it's a novel situation for sure. For a novel virus. As far as China being behind an underhanded attempt to debilitate the US, our economy, and Trump goes, I read that like SARS it seems to affect people of Asian descent much more prevalently than Caucasian or Black people. Whether that is true entirely or even in part I can't say.
I agree with you that something stinks about this but it might be awhile before we learn exactly what that might be, if we ever learn at all. In the meantime, to me when I see governments taking decisive actions to stem the tide I begin to think that it's not solely a media-hyped situation.

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, it's not all media hype, but they're doing their damnedest to push the negative instead of the positive.
And, I certainly don't mean to make light of anyone suffering or dying from it.
No matter how bad it gets, it could've been worse.

Trump bans foreign nationals who have traveled to China ...
Note the date.

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As Coronavirus Fears Spread, CDC Reports Show Influenza Has Already Claimed the Lives of Thousands

With Coronavirus being the new kid on the block and getting all the media attention — thanks in small part to the fact that it’s affecting the economy, giving them another anti-Trump narrative to play with — it’s gone overlooked that right here at home, the influenza virus has been wreaking havoc all on its own.

According to the Daily Wire, CDC reports are showing an unusually high number of deaths thanks to the flu. A number that ranges to around 20,000 people:
According to the most recent report from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), among the roughly 34 million people who have suffered from the flu this season, 20,000 have died. Influenza A viruses were the most commonly reported, as opposed to the usual predominance of Influenza B. 136 deaths of children have been reported; the CDC noted, “rates among school aged children and young adults are higher at this time than in recent seasons and rates among children 0-4 years old are now the highest CDC has on record at this point in the season, surpassing rates reported during the second wave of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.
The CDC reported that this season, the predominant flu virus is influenza A (H1N1).

This proves that we have a serious problem with a virus, but on a list of worries, the Coronavirus is not necessarily at the top. Right here at home, the influenza virus is making a mark, but not getting the same attention from the media due to its commonality.

This isn’t to say that the Coronavirus shouldn’t be a concern, but precautions should be made against influenza now, not just Covid. Practice good hygiene and avoid big crowds until the flu season is over. Trust me, I already got influenza A myself and I don’t recommend it to anyone

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
They missed what turned out to be the prevalent strain of the flu this year when they formulated the vaccine last summer. That might have something to do with the high mortality rate this year. But at the end of the day RBS it comes down to infection rate vs. mortality rate. And unless something is done to slow or stop the infection rate of corona it will eventually make even this year's flu season seem mild in comparison, because of the ratio of people who die from it to those who get over it.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Well, I don't know where all the panic is.
Articles I'm reading state that ppl are hoarding TP , & hand sanitizer is going for
hundreds of dollars a bottle.

Went grocery shopping today, plenty of both on their respective shelves, at the usual prices. :confused:

That being said, I guess I'm a prime candidate to get the virus.
Late 60s, with Pulmonary problems already.

So, just in case I do get it, I made sure to put 125 miles on the bike today.
Sunny, and depending where I was, upper 60s to lo 70s.(y)
NO FAIR, can't ride here yet!

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts
All the damn dems can do is complain that he hasn't made enough testing kits available.
Were it me I would keep Trump and Pence far apart and isolated. We cannot afford to have Pelosi at the reigns.

·
Registered
27,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the damn dems can do is complain that he hasn't made enough testing kits available.
Were it me I would keep Trump and Pence far apart and isolated. We cannot afford to have Pelosi at the reigns.
Now, that's scary!

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Glad to see THAT got your attention :)
ATTENTION! You scared the coronavirus out of people with the suggestion that drunken old hag could be the leader of the free world. Seriously, you gotta soften those up before you just hit us over the head with such notions. :p :D

1 - 20 of 172 Posts