Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am the only one on this site, on this side of the planet. There are always bushfires/widfires in the summer but this year is a doozy. The smell of smoke almost everyday is getting wearing. The Cudlee Creek fires were only a few miles away and are now out. (Lots of folk burnt out in my favourite riding areas) Half of Kangaroo Island is burnt out and the fire continues. This morning warnings on the radio to keep your house closed up and set the air conditioning in your car to recycle as the smoke from Kangaroo Island is coming across. Sydney has been the most air polluted city on the planet for the last month. Asthmatics warned to stay inside. A whole lot of the east coast is burnt and many people homeless because of the fires. If you know of a charity group looking for where to donate money they could do worse than give money herehttps://www.mycause.com.au/events/qld_nsw_bushfire_appeal Last year has been the worst drought on record and many farmers selling off their breeding stock as they cant afford to feed them. It will be two or three years before the farmers can build up stock again. If you are planning an overseas holiday consider Australia as the tourism dollars would be welcome. BUT, we will get over it as we always have.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
lofty,

planet weather change..
I have no words to offer..

Thanks for the report..
over here , we sometimes question the News reports truthfulness ..
as NEWS is spun-off in one director or another for News ratings..

·
Old Goat
24,192 Posts
Prayers offered up for you and yours,Australia and the planet......:thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sad news, but thanks for keeping us informed. Your family and your countrymen will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I've been watching that with a lot of concern for a while, it's worse than awful, I see how the smoke can be unbearable. Donation made, prayers sent.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I know I am the only one on this site, on this side of the planet. There are always bushfires/widfires in the summer but this year is a doozy. The smell of smoke almost everyday is getting wearing. The Cudlee Creek fires were only a few miles away and are now out. (Lots of folk burnt out in my favourite riding areas) Half of Kangaroo Island is burnt out and the fire continues. This morning warnings on the radio to keep your house closed up and set the air conditioning in your car to recycle as the smoke from Kangaroo Island is coming across. Sydney has been the most air polluted city on the planet for the last month. Asthmatics warned to stay inside. A whole lot of the east coast is burnt and many people homeless because of the fires. If you know of a charity group looking for where to donate money they could do worse than give money herehttps://www.mycause.com.au/events/qld_nsw_bushfire_appeal Last year has been the worst drought on record and many farmers selling off their breeding stock as they cant afford to feed them. It will be two or three years before the farmers can build up stock again. If you are planning an overseas holiday consider Australia as the tourism dollars would be welcome. BUT, we will get over it as we always have.
I've been watching. Canada had sent some firefighters to help out. Two years ago we had a similar situation here with the forest fires. There were days where the city looked blanketed in a thick fog, but it was smoke and it was indeed difficult to breathe. We had actually cancelled the kids' soccer games as the air quality was such that it just wasn't possible to have the kids trying to run around in that. Tough stuff my brother. We're praying for rain down under to help your situation there. Stay safe!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks Lofty, for your eye witness view and perspective on whats happening in Australia. As Chuck mentioned, the news we receive here is always sensationalized, with added unnecessary drama to their reports. It's nauseating. If you've a mind to, please keep us updated on what is factually happening, albeit, not all media's are putting their own twist to this travesty.

Thoughts and prayers for you and yours, and for the whole of Australia. Here's hoping a huge thunderstorm comes along and covers the entire country for about three days of non-stop rain. (not a deluge)

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I made a trip down under 30 years ago this month when I was 20 years old for about a month, maybe a bit more. Nearly 3 weeks in Sydney and several days in both Melbourne and Cairns. Treated like a king, the people were spectacular. I still remember they told me (here) prior to going that Sydney was big, like NYC (I've never seen NYC).
What I'll always remember about Sydney 1990? No fat people. I'm not kidding you, it was striking. My buddy and I both would sit outside a cafe and get drunk and eat and you could go a damn half hour without seeing someone fat go by.

I think back fondly on that "holiday".

I'm thinking of all my Aussie mates and wishing them the best during this. Didn't they already arrest dozens of arsonists? Intentionally set brush fires all over the place in the face of that drought? Any idea on motive, lofty? I have heard chatter that they are climate activists, but just chatter...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you gentlemen for your good wishes, it is heart warming. I feel a little guilty now, as I watched the American ABC news at lunchtime and saw the storm/tornado problems in the south east states. Mother nature is giving us all a hard time. Hang in there southerners! A bloke in the fire service who was in NSW fire fighting has told me (hearsay, not fact, as they don't release the figures.) that 163 people are under investigation over arson. Lots of farm stock lost and unfortunately because Koalas are so cute looking they get most of the attention when native animals are mentioned. Phats, there are LOTS of fat people here now. Thanks again guys for your support and good wishes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The right wingers are in power and the left are trying desperately to blame those in power for climate change and the fires. Then there are the greens who are a party of radical idiots who wish to give the last of our jobs to China and have us all go back to bicycles and village life and poverty. Protests in all city's today organised by the left factions to blame the current government for climate change. Most probably drove their 4wd and sedans in to protest. "I don't want to change my lifestyle but it is the governments fault for all the wrongs of the world" Today I wished for a second amendment! Rant over.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The right wingers are in power and the left are trying desperately to blame those in power for climate change and the fires. Then there are the greens who are a party of radical idiots who wish to give the last of our jobs to China and have us all go back to bicycles and village life and poverty. Protests in all city's today organised by the left factions to blame the current government for climate change. Most probably drove their 4wd and sedans in to protest. "I don't want to change my lifestyle but it is the governments fault for all the wrongs of the world" Today I wished for a second amendment! Rant over.

We have the exact same happening over here, though we include loads of private airplanes to the list of transportation used (Hollywood elites). It of course is always about how OTHER people should change the way they live.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
We have the exact same happening over here, though we include loads of private airplanes to the list of transportation used (Hollywood elites). It of course is always about how OTHER people should change the way they live.
Bad things happen and the finger pointing starts. I think it's human nature to lay blame. Somehow it makes people feel better if it's someone's fault. One need not look too far back historically to see that tragically played out over and over again. The one thing I've learned while running a business us that there needs to be an order. First, take care of what's most important. Instead of protesting, people could be out fighting fires. That is the first order of business. Next, establish the causality, and find a solution to eliminating it's cause. Ultimately, there has always been bouts of drought, so even if this were not related to climate change, forest fires happen. Protesting while the fires burn, really accomplishes nothing. It most certainly does nothing to quench the fires and help those displaced by it. There is time for protesting once everyone is safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts