Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch just started slipping on my 08 "F". It just turned over 55,000 last week. I bought it new in March of 2010. I was just wondering if this is fairly typical for the 1800s';
I read about clutches being replaced a lot on the forum so it seems like something that happens often enough. I bought a 5 year warranty but I'm not sure if it is good from 08
or when I bought it. Also how does the OEM compare to the after market clutches? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello from St. Pete. I still have my OEM clutch. “Clutch slipping” in the search box brings up lots ‘o clutch posts. Upgrading springs seems pretty common. Good luck. Happy trails.

·
Registered
16,079 Posts
Most folks replace with MTC or Barnett not stock. I've prolly installed over 20 MTC's and that is my clutch of choice in my shop

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My clutch just started slipping on my 08 "F". It just turned over 55,000 last week. I bought it new in March of 2010. I was just wondering if this is fairly typical for the 1800s';
I read about clutches being replaced a lot on the forum so it seems like something that happens often enough. I bought a 5 year warranty but I'm not sure if it is good from 08
or when I bought it. Also how does the OEM compare to the after market clutches? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
I would be very surprised if clutch / brakes were covered in your warranty anyway. There are people that can ruin anything and if you slip the clutch a lot when you take off or use your brakes instead of downshifting , these wear parts will need to be replaced sooner.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts

Thanks,
Phil
..............just about any aftermarket clutch is way better then the stock weak sprung, small contact area plate area clutch. The VTX motor needs a bullet proof clutch because of its torque. As Spike said, some slip, some dont, some do right away like mine, and some never do......................it all depends on the riders and the habits they have with the right hand.

MTC is in mine and many many others................the difference is night and day.

Show

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
MTC...
the factory clutch is OK.. but the clutch SPRINGS are junk.. you might be able to replace just the springs.. But for the work involved, do both.

my went at 41,000 miles. I got my bike NEW. springs went soft.

I have seen them go bad at 15,000 miles. and someone posted last week there went at 93,000...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I went 115K, but probably should have changed it at 110K.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am at 45,000 miles, still stock clutch but with Barnett springs. MTC is waiting on the shelf in case of...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MTC Clutch

[Q
UOTE=Jon's1800VTXC;3705728]Most folks replace with MTC or Barnett not stock. I've prolly installed over 20 MTC's and that is my clutch of choice in my shop[/QUOTE]

Jon, What would a full MTC clutch replacement cost? The dealer that I work with are talking about using OEM
parts as needed. Basically talking about replacing the friction plates only upon a full inspection. If the
replacement is not covered by my extended warranty I would just assume to go with a superior clutch than a
"patch fix".
PM me if you would like.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
I just received my MTC kit (clutch discs and springs) .. 180 shipped from Florida...

I will be replacing mine next week. ordered from Company that runs this forum.
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=4717&str=1
p.s. my clutch in NOT gone. last fall going uphill and passing a car in 5 gear, pulled a hand full of throttle and it slipped a little. so replacement time for me. if its NOT RIGHT, its replacement time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I bought a low milage (5/6K) 03 model last year that had been parked well over a year because a slipping clutch.Got it home ordered a MTC and started changing fluids and checking lines and flushing the tank.After 2 days work I started riding it and clutch slipped a little for the first tank of gas or so but by the time I received the MTC I couldnt get it to slip if I tried.Bike now has 17K on it and no problems.Clutches are funny and unpredictable there is no way of knowing how long they will last.All depends on riding habits and luck of the draw......probably some out there with 150k or better.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just finished replacing my stock clutch with an MTC @ 44K miles. It was slipping when I got on it in 2nd and 3rd gear.
As others have said, if you're in there to replace the springs, might as well do the whole thing - it's not very labor intensive once you get your pipes off, side covers, etc.
The stock clutch is a feeble, lavender colored cupcake compared to the beefy awesomeness of the MTC unit.
Good instructions on the Bareass Chopper Page. If your engine is mostly stock (i.e. NOT running a big bore kit or nitrous) you won't need the shims.

My MTC was about $180 shipped.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 55k miles and no obvious signs of slippage, except where the handle finds the friction zone tells me its wearing down.
I want to get the MTC but where is it sold?
If I get Barnett it looks like I should get the Kevlar but where is that sold?

Any advice on one versus the other is welcome, and where to get either is the real issue I am having....so who knows?

thanks and keep the rubber side down, and stay Covid free!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
HONDA (VTX) CLUTCH KITClutch fibers (8), clutch springs (6),CLU-VTX101 .025 shims (12), and .050 shims (12)”
Call them. I believe MTC is most often recommended. Honda springs are weak.
Order: 1-800-827-9210Int’l: [email protected]

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Hans,
that got me right to them

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
How is your clutch master cylinder?? What color is the DOT 4 fluid???
OEM springs are the problem.
Friction zone?? 55k miles, I would not expect clutch to be worn down.
Clutch lever bushing has a history of wearing out.
You may be losing some lever movement due to a worn bushing.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Hans,
I have no other symptoms. I am thinking that if I let it go too long I will wind up stranded on a long trip.
The friction zone is farther away from the grip, and after 55k miles there must be some wear. Too bad there is no easy inspection to ease my mind.
There is no slippage, and I've always ridden clutches longer on average, even in a cager. So maybe I should hold out longer and get more out of it.
I'm thinking better to be smart than sorry....hmmm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts