Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I noticed that my front tire had 7-8 bumps spaced along in the left half of the tread. Several of these were very soft like the tread was bubbling up. The tire has close to 20K miles on it and there appears to be more tread available (it's not down to the wear bar yet). I am aware of the uneven tire wear inherent with these bikes. There is some uneven wear, but it's not excessive. This leads to my question. Is this normal for Avon tires nearing their end? This the first Avon I've worn out on the front. When the stock dunny wore out, there was significant and obvious left-side wear with some cupping. Is the bubbling I'm seeing on the Avon just a different symptom of the uneven wear or cupping?

Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not sure why this is occuring, but I can tell you that I would not ride on that tire anymore. I have had a bump in my truck tire and essentially, these are created when the tread (rubber) starts to pull away from the inner tire. Eventually, the tire tread will come apart from the tire.

My two cents....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you got 20K miles out of that tire, consider yourself extreemely fortunate and replace it immediately. I thought I was very luckly to have gotten 18K out of my last set of Avons (front and rear). Just replaced them again with Venoms. Did not notice anything unusual in my last set of Avons as you have described.

·
Super Moderator
64,339 Posts
Yep, this is not something you want to ride on 2 wheels with. The tread is seperating from the tire, on a car/truck that is bad. On a bike, it is extremely serious.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely NOT riding on it. I was just wondering if what I have is something somebody else has experienced and what the cause may be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts