Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ride for more then an hour I start to get real sore in the lower neck upper back area. I am a taller rider with long arms so the position of the bars aren't really working for me. I want to replace the bars that are on my R with either a T style bars that are higher or maybe even ape hangers. Can anyone give me advice on this. What should I try, where do I go about seeing what is best for me? Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes you need higher bars be it risers or apes...been there done that. Also do you have a shield? Takes the wind pressure off the upper body on long trips ie neck and shoulders....

Luck
Skip

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No windshield. I am not a fan of how they look but have thought for long rides to get one. I know that wearing my helmet increases the pain but when I ride with out it it only reduces the pain not eliminates it so I guess it is time to buy some new bars. YIPPIEEE Spend more money

·
Registered
298 Posts
Meridenff,

I was the same way about windshields, thought it detracted from the looks of the scoot. I've got a HD snap off shield thinking I just pull it off for local riding.....NOT-man I am now a confirmed convert. No more bugs at 75, getting machine-gunned with rain, rocks, cig butts, and even a bird! Not only does my neck and shoulders thank me but after a ride at dusk I don't need to be hosed off...I've got a C with risers-never seen a shield with Apes :shock: . As far as spending the bucks-welcome to VTX..

Happy Motoring
Skip

·
Registered
248 Posts
After looking at your bike (picture link below), and the picture of you on I must say you are tall and your arms look huge. I don't know if you can mount any highway pegs on that thing but you may want to try putting in another quarter. :lol:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/avat ... 6b5e6c.jpg

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have disc problems in my back and my 4" "up and back" bar risers have helped a lot. Best money I've spent in regards to long trip lower back comfort and endurance. A support belt on long rides helps me a lot too.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I wouldn't go with the apes. Your hands and arms will go numb after awhile so you'll have back, neck, arms, and hands in bad shape. Plus they don't handle as well.

Get yourself some pullback risers and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
You need a backrest and risers. They'll make a world of difference.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
wassup8687 said:
I wouldn't go with the apes. Your hands and arms will go numb after awhile so you'll have back, neck, arms, and hands in bad shape. Plus they don't handle as well.

What size Apes did you have on that cause you such discomfort, and handled so poorly?? I'm experiencing just the opposite, better comfort and increased stability!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Meridenff said:
If I ride for more then an hour I start to get real sore in the lower neck upper back area. I am a taller rider with long arms so the position of the bars aren't really working for me. I want to replace the bars that are on my R with either a T style bars that are higher or maybe even ape hangers. Can anyone give me advice on this. What should I try, where do I go about seeing what is best for me? Thanks
Go with the Apes dude! You won't regret it! It will sit you square on the saddle and eliminate having to reach forward... besides, they look kick a$$!!!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Floodgates said:
What size Apes did you have on that cause you such discomfort, and handled so poorly?? I'm experiencing just the opposite, better comfort and increased stability!

Floodgates 8)
I never had them on my bike. A friend had them on a Hog not sure what size though as it was quite a few years back. He hated them and took them off. He was getting numb on long rides.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
wassup8687 said:
Floodgates said:

Floodgates 8)
I never had them on my bike. A friend had them on a Hog not sure what size though as it was quite a few years back. He hated them and took them off. He was getting numb on long rides.
He had a Hog a few years back..... don't you think his issue was with vibration?? I rode an older Hog 1984 with buckhorn handlebars and my hands were numb after 3 minutes!!! It had nothing to do with the position of the bars, but with the vibration.

I'm yet to hear anybody who had Apes say anything bad about them. It's always someone who knows someone, or a friend of a friend -- but never the actual person... Hmmm... I wonder why that is??? Smart people can figure it out!

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used to have the exact same problem until I got some risers. I was going to get the aeromach 4" risers so I wouldn't have to change cables, but instead I ended up buying a set of risers off an '02 1800C. They have about the same rise and pullback as the aeromachs, but cost me $100 less! (I guess I'm kind of a Crapster at heart. :) ). Now I don't have any pain when I ride (except my butt; I really need to talk to BadX). Eventually, I plan on getting some apes. Good luck!

-Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
wassup8687 said:

I think you are talking too much nonsense (did you ever ride with apes).
If not ask someone first than talk, I had same pain in neck and after I changed,no pain very comfortable to ride.
Go ape :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I do decide to the ape's any idea on the best way to decide the actual size to go with. I have no idea how to measure. I know that local law (in CT) states they can't be higher then your shoulders but I don't know what other states say and I would prefer my bike to be legal (minus my louder pipes) no matter what state I drive in.
If I don't go with Apes I am looking at these T bars any one have comment on these.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detai ... ame=detail

·
Registered
430 Posts
NetGuru said:
After looking at your bike (picture link below), and the picture of you on I must say you are tall and your arms look huge. I don't know if you can mount any highway pegs on that thing but you may want to try putting in another quarter. :lol:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/avat ... 6b5e6c.jpg
DUDE...It'll take more than a quarter to make that little iron horse grow....lol...;) and +1 to the risers...you may also wanna shave that seat down a little in the burn areas...I can't believe how much a different sitting position has helped the burn in butt..neck and shoulders..BB :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually had my seat customized. The seat is not as cushy as when it was stock but has moved my long a$$ legs back farther. I like the position the seat puts me in but still need to sit up a little more, that is where I am having the problem with the bars. I know that part of my problem stems from my work wearing an airpack and all carry all the other gear for calls doesn't help my neck and shoulders but I can't change that, I can change the bars though. I would also love to move my feet farther forward but they don't make a kit to move the floor boards forward yet.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Meridenff said:
If I do decide to the ape's any idea on the best way to decide the actual size to go with. I have no idea how to measure. I know that local law (in CT) states they can't be higher then your shoulders but I don't know what other states say and I would prefer my bike to be legal (minus my louder pipes) no matter what state I drive in.
I was lucky, in so much that my bud, let me test ride his Standard Softail with 14" Apes, prior to my buying them. I thought 14" was pretty comfortable, but figured that 16" would look better, and still be comfortable. The other thing I did, was to copy down the dimensions of the bars I wanted (most suppliers have that information listed), and bent a flexible tubing to the exact dimension... mocked it up on the bike and voila! I knew what position 16" Big Buffalo Bars would be on my bike!. An additional bonus of Apes is that the height is somewhat adjustable. Closer to 90 degrees relative to the ground is higher, and more or less than 90 degrees is lower.

Hope this helps...

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm hoping you guys can help me here. I have a VTX1300c that I just put risers on. It got rid of the pain in my right shoulder, but I'm still having lower neck/upper back pain. I've got a new seat on order so that will help with the back rest. I have a 32" inseam and have also added a Lindby bar which is a perfect fit. I used to be 5'7", but being run off the road and going head first into the side of a ditch did its damage and now I'm 5'6".

I'm thinking that part of the problem might be the wrist position and that :?: maybe :?: switching the handlebars from a C version to an R version might help. What do ya'll think?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts