Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back, some of you posted you may switch back to stock exhaust.
Did anyone do it?
Did you like it?
Just checkin' before I make any changes.

·
Registered
617 Posts
stock

I went back... partly the noise on long trips... partly I think it's the right thing to do noise wisw in the long run.. I have a C model so I did takethe 2 freeze plugs out of the exhaust to make it deeper but still very civil. Its like having a new bike again

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have been considering it....However, I really would like to De-smog first to see how things sound after that. Then maybe I will get quiet again?

Changes....always looking for changes!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't have the stock exhaust so i can't switch back. That said, i'm fabricating some quiet baffles for the Big Shots this weekend. I feel they're a bit too loud to make my neighbors deal with. The exhaust echoes in the alley.

Which is kinda sad because i hear the loud pipes and a spinning car tire sound great together. I may take out the quiets briefly when i finally go darkside to see if it's all that.

As a side benefit, i think there will be less of a chance of me finding my bike on it's side some day when someone decides to quiet it themselves. :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
back to stock

I have had VTX Exhaust. Passenger complained too much.

I have had Riley Mod. I drilled it too much trying to get it "right."

I just switched back to stock to try it for the summer. Iffen it does not suit me, I'll go with Sturgeous Thunder Pipes.

Stock is great for long trips. Saves my hearing and is stealth like coming up on law enforcement.

Jack

·
Registered
795 Posts
stock pipes?

I too nolonger have my stockers to return to. Question does anyone make quiet baffles for the 3 inch big stratea? Or is there a set of after market pipes out there that are fairly quiet?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a brand new set of stocker for a R that were take offs. I got them off of e-Bay and was going to do a VTX-Xhausted then I got T-Boned. (Barely) It was on the right side of the bike. The insurance company paid for stock replacement pipes (Honda is right proud of those stock pipes. Something like $1200 to replace.) I put Road House classics on. I have the stockers available if anybody is interested PM me for details. (No, I am not giving them away. I'll do them for what it cost me plus shipping.)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I went back to stockers a while back. My main issue was with the passenger wearing a full face helmet using the autocomm mics, the roadhouse pipes, which isnt really all that loud, would trigger the mic and reduce the music noise. After I switched to the stock pipes, I had to switch back to the stock air cleaner as well, because the air noise rushing in would also trigger the mic in the intercomm system. And I had it adjusted to the best setting so that wasnt an option. Overall Im happy with the stock pipes while Im riding my bike. I like the sound of medium/loud pipes when I hear other bikes go by, I just don't want to be exposed to it myself for 8 to 10 hours a day while Im riding it :!: :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my stockers in the garage, not on the bike.
I may get a couple gaskets and re install.
Just had to stop and ask when I found the original bracket.
That thing is heavy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
stock pipes

i had v&h big shots on took them off to drill access holes to rewrap the baffles . got a spare set of stock pipes and a pair of soft tail tappers from ebay. the spare stock pipe were from another 1800r rider free and the mufflers were $2.00 plus shipping . shortened the stock pipes left the chrome sheilds the same , made a couple of brackets put the h-d mufflers
on.sounds good not to loud, looks great i hated the big stock muffler. fuel mileage yeterday on a 225 mile ride average speed 65-70 mph was 44 mpg. stock intake no desmog. no popping no backfire

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have the RH classics. I changed to the quiet baffle. It helped some, but not enough. Gonna switch to a stock C pipe as soon as I can. I agree with Badleg, I like the sound of some loud pipes going by, but I don't want to here it all day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I put my stock pipes on last weekend, so I could ride while my pipes were in the mail on a trade. I had never used the stock pipes, my bike had Big Shots on it when I bought it.

I HATED riding with the stock pipes, and couldnt wait for my trade pipes to come in LOL. The stock pipes were way too quiet for me, the entire time I was riding I felt like no one would know I was there.

The bike also felt like it handled different with all the weight from the stock pipes. That could have just been in my head, but I know between the pipes and the bracket they are pretty heavy.

Was much happier when I got the Bubs on :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I posted this a while back. I had the Cobra Slashcut mufflers. They looked great but I could not stand the noise on a long trip, even with earplugs. I also lost a lot of bottom end because the mufflers eliminated the crossover pipe. I was never satisfied with the performance even with a fuel manager.
I modified my stock mufflers and reinstalled them. I regained all of the bottom end (that is what this engine is about) and I really like the sound. The loud pipes are for those that need to be noticed or want a bike for all out performance. I am happy with the way the bike runs and will not go back. I like to roll on the throttle at 2000 rpm and feel the smooth power it delivers.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I like the Riley Mod

Hi Xers

I didn't have the cash for fancy aftermarket exhaust, and, personally, I haven't seen any that (in my opinion) look as good as the stockers on my 03 1800S.
That said, I felt the same way when riding, that no one could hear me. Heck, I could hardly hear the big X myself with a helmet on thru the stock pipes... way too quiet! I did the riley mod in stages...

First, I bought another set of stockers (whole set - mufflers, hardware, headers, chrome, etc) for $150 from someone on this site. (Like new, still stock, still in the attic in the garage if anyone is interested.)

Next I drilled the small 3/8" holes & tried it out,... better.
Then I enlarged the holes to 1/2",... better, yet.
Later, I used a "burring" bit on an end grinder to remove most of the metal between the drilled holes,... still better.
Last, I took a 2' long "star tip" cement hand-drill/chisel, and stuck it into the muffler from both ends (one end at a time, with the mufflers off the bike) until it hit the solid part of the baffle plate, and then drove it through with a hammer. When I was done, I could see light all the way through the mufflers, and a little round plug came out. This is the best sound yet! Deep and full, loud enough when I want it to be (when I crank up the throttle) but quiet enough that it is not annoying to ride/cruise for 200 miles in a day.

I keep thinking "boy them guys with the loud pipes sound real nice" but I also think "mine is loud enough for me"

If anyone has any questions about how is sounds or what I did, feel free to post or PM me. I'm in western PA, or I could send you a sound/video file (although I don't think that does it justice.)

Good luck & keep the rubber down!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Loud Pipes--Get a Pair of Ear plugs

Hey X riders Ear Plugs are cheaper and eaiser to change than Pipes. Giv them a try, you might like them. I tried them and thought they were the most economical baffels you can buy.

Regards Paperpeddler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to tell U guys but the stock pipes are damn UGLY and the power sucks. I installed V and H, PCIII, and Hypercharger...best thing I ever did. I bought the X for power, now she PULLS like a beast unleashed, the way she was meant to be. FEEL THE POWER AND ENJOY.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was in the market for pipes, sound was a major consideration (performance was number 1) so I was looking for a pipe that had good baffles or a way to tame the sound if later I wanted to quite her down. I went with the Supertrapp 2n1s because you can add or remove discs easily to change sound and backpressure. I've been very happy with them and they are not loud at all compared to some of the loud pipes you see around. Going on the freeway they sound very tame but not so much you can't here them. They also took 20 lbs off my bike compared to the stock pipes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re: stock pipes?

mike nauer said:
I too nolonger have my stockers to return to. Question does anyone make quiet baffles for the 3 inch big stratea? Or is there a set of after market pipes out there that are fairly quiet?
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

There are a few other posts pertaining to this topic.

Get your baffles through Michael7276, I highly recommend them!

Brian

·
Registered
118 Posts
stock pipes

I switched to stockers a couple of weeks ago. I bought my bike with cobra slashcuts already on it. The sound with the cobras was a little loud, but not too bad. However, my daughter thought they were much too loud. But that's understandable because she's used to the quiet of my Goldwing.

With the stockers, I'm getting a little better gas mileage. The lack of the deeper sound doesn't bother me, but I don't care much for the look of that big cannon shooting out the right side. The real motivation to change was the heat coming from the rear slashcut. Because of the way it exits, I burned my inner thigh one time too many! :x Also, at some time in the future I plan to do a total rebuild which will include a 240/250 kit and an exhaust which will allow maximum view of the rear wheel. Until then, the stock exhaust is fine for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts