Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are several posts about this issue but I could not find any with my issue. First off, I have to keep about half Coke when I'm riding so the engine doesn't cut out when I throttle up. Second, when sitting at idle in the driveway, it idles just fine. I took it out for a quick ride for the first time since getting it two weeks ago and literally went 1/4 mile and came to a stop at the red light. While I was waiting for the green, there was an intermittent backfire several times. I tried to adjust the choke and the mix screw but to no avail. Light turned green and the bike shut off when I gave it some throttle. I adjusted the choke all the way out and rode it back home at about 1100 rpm just to keep it going with as little backfire as possible. The exhaust nuts are tight and there is no smell of fuel. When I parked it, it idled just fine. All suggestions are welcome.. TIA

·
Old Goat
26,413 Posts
Others will be along..mean time look at the bottom of your post page...should be some reading...good luck

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
2003 1300S has an electric fuel pump(FP). The only year that the FP was used.
Have you checked fuel flow??? Many FP have died...
Running lean creates many backfires.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
27 days ago a dead fuel pump issue 2003 1300S

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2003 1300S has an electric fuel pump(FP). The only year that the FP was used.
Have you checked fuel flow??? Many FP have died...
Running lean creates many backfires.
Any idea why l what the psi should be? I'm guessing like 45-55 maybe??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 1300vtx that I just bought she's beautiful 😍. The wife calls her The Mistress.My bike has a backfire if the choke isn't pulled to some degree. I was thinking that the carburetor was dirty so I bought a rebuild kit for my carburetor are there any "how to" videos that I can watch on line

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Vacuum hose leaks, exhaust pipe gasket at cylinder head sucking air, Aftermarket pipes - need to remove the PAIR valve, slide valve diaphragm with holes in it, loose carb/ intake manifold clamps loose are some of the things that cause backfire. Backfire from carb or explosion at exhaust pipe? Did the X stay parked for a long time???
Pictures of a carb teardown>> Carb Cleaning 101
Looks like several videos 1300 Carb cleaning. I have not looked at them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts