Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
twice in the last week or so I have come up to an intersection, slowed down, and at some point while downshifting into 2nd (one case I know I had the clutch in. The other case I am not sure if I had just pulled the clutch in or if I was still decellerating in 3rd) the bike gave a loud pop(backfired) and then died. In each case I pulled to the side and tried to restart. In both cases it did not restart immediately. It took several tries. In both cases it was just a tad chilly out and the I had only traveled a mile-2 miles when it happened. Bike was still on fast idle.
The bike has about 5600 miles on it and had the 4000 mile service done at 4300 miles. I also switched to Bosche 4419's because the dealer said the original plugs looked liked they needed replacing due to burning rich. Overall the bike has been running pretty good, but a couple of times I do believe I did smell gas while driving.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, I had been runnin bosch 4419's and always around 4500 to 5000 miles or so I would have problems with it quitting at stop lights, I have switched to NGK BKR5 EIX-11 and that was 7000 miles ago I have not had a problem since. IMPO Bosch tend to carbon up quickly. Swap them out with new Bosch or the NGK's see if it gets better.

Roger

jbdog said:
twice in the last week or so I have come up to an intersection, slowed down, and at some point while downshifting into 2nd (one case I know I had the clutch in. The other case I am not sure if I had just pulled the clutch in or if I was still decellerating in 3rd) the bike gave a loud pop(backfired) and then died. In each case I pulled to the side and tried to restart. In both cases it did not restart immediately. It took several tries. In both cases it was just a tad chilly out and the I had only traveled a mile-2 miles when it happened. Bike was still on fast idle.
The bike has about 5600 miles on it and had the 4000 mile service done at 4300 miles. I also switched to Bosche 4419's because the dealer said the original plugs looked liked they needed replacing due to burning rich. Overall the bike has been running pretty good, but a couple of times I do believe I did smell gas while driving.
Any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts