Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X-Family,

Is there a backrest out there that can easily be mounted and taken off that doesn't cover the rear most fender strut bolt?

Here's the deal, I have the Hondaline one I bought from Hal last year.
Wife rides with me occasionaly but when she's not, I take off the stock seat and load the Corbin Young Guns for the slammed look.

I now want to slam it even more and mount Kury Bullets in that rear bolt hole as most others have. The problem? Hondaline backrest mount covers the bolt hole.

Any options?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ultimate seats has a backrest that bolts up under the passenger pillion. I don't know how strong it would be, but it would solve your mounting bracket problem. Since you would swap seats when mounting the backrest, I think it wouldn't be a big hassle to take on & off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I asked a similar question on saturday and the post on modifying the bracket will work for you. On one of the pics in the series it shows the cut out for the turn signal. I don't have the problem with the signals, but I will do the mod so I can take the rest off easily.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well here is what i did

My gf wanted a backrest when she rode with me, i have my rear turn signals mounted through the fender bolts, so i couldnt buy a backrest that had the mounting hardware through the fender bolts.
i currently have the corbin young guns, which is comfortable for me but a pain in the rear for her.
so to kill two birds with one stone, i bought a used in great condition Corbin Dual tour with 2 backrests. it solves the problem of the backrest issue and of the seat issue.
The backrests are both removable within 2 mintues or less, and when i ride alone i just swap the seat out for the young guns

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Radio said:
X-Family,

Is there a backrest out there that can easily be mounted and taken off that doesn't cover the rear most fender strut bolt?

Wife rides with me occasionaly but when she's not, I take off the stock seat and load the Corbin Young Guns for the slammed look.

I now want to slam it even more and mount Kury Bullets in that rear bolt hole as most others have. The problem? Hondaline backrest mount covers the bolt hole.

Any options?

Thanks in advance,
Buy another Corbin seat (Dual TOur w/ dual back rests). Then with the help of an X-Cessories seat knob, switching between seats is a breeze ;)

That's what I do. Then sell the Honda Line back rest on e-bay.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
X-Cessor said:
Radio said:
X-Family,

Any options?

Thanks in advance,
Buy another Corbin seat (Dual TOur w/ dual back rests). Then with the help of an X-Cessories seat knob, switching between seats is a breeze ;)

DAMN looks like great minds think alike, i did the same thing Kenny:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wildabouthorses said:
Wildabout,

The standard Hondaline backrest only "mounts" using the first two holes front to back. The rear hole isn't used in the mounting, but it covers the bolt hole, thus not mounting the Bullets there. You said no pic yet (without saddle bags) so I'm guessing the mount you specified will do the trick?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VTXLAZ said:
X-Cessor said:
Radio said:
X-Family,

Any options?

Thanks in advance,

Great ideas guys. Unfortunately getting the second Corbin w/backrest buit in is waaaayyyyyy beyond the budget right now. This may come down to cutting a notch in the rear of the mount to get me by.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Yeah from what I can remember that last bolt hole is uncovered by the deluxe rack...I'll recheck when he gets home tonight. Not sure if pics will show it since we have the Hitch Doc on now but if I can show ya I will take a pic.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Okay here's some pics...but...problem may be there is only 2/16 to 3/16th inch space between the long hitch doc bolt inside and the deluxe bracket. And there are 1/4 inch spacers between the fender bracket and the deluxe bracket pushing it out some. So it may not work with the kury lights after all.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
VTXLAZ said:
X-Cessor said:
Radio said:
X-Family,

Any options?

Thanks in advance,

Yep..you even got Knobs! ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pics Wildabout...... :) :) :)
Looks like I'll be rollin' out the bandsaw and doing some cutting on my own. Backrest is already bought and paid for so it can't hurt.

Not gonna matter for a long time anyway. Wife announced I'll be going solo for the summer due to suprise in the oven! :shock: :shock: :shock:
#3 is on the way by November.

Idiot me opted for more chrome instead of getting clipped. Anyway, got two beautiful girls now. Maybe it's a boy and I can call it quits.

It's all good...... and worthy of my official 100th post.

Best,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts