Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have Vance and Hines pipes fitted to my bike, not sure which ones- any ideas?

They are silly embarressingly loud. Today I removed the PAIR valves and theuir nonsense and backfiring has gone. Second job of the day was to fit the V&H Quiet baffles. After much wrestling , the heatshield came off, only to find the existing baffles to be well and truly stuck. The holding bolts came out easy enough. While looking down the pipe it appears the baffles have a solid end that appear to have been drilled through with at least a 10mm bit. After this plate, the baffles appear to have perforations in the tube for a couple of inches or so. Is this normal? Someone has definitely tried removing the baffles before and failed, and it appears that the holes were drilled in situ as I can see skate marks, I assume by a previous owner (I'm the 2nd UK owner, god knows how many in the US but it only has 4k miles now). So, is this hole meant to be there, or as I supsect it is not- could I plug it with a bolt to quieten things up a bit? And how the heck can I get the baffles out?

20210417_141106.jpg
20210417_141122.jpg

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
those are V$H Big Shots.. some have used an automotive body tool called a slide hammer or made there own...others will chime in with better ideas ...example pic of tool below...in the past Ive just wrapped the baffles in fiberglass and held it in place with stainless wire...good luck
PS...mine just have a long perforated tube....

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Heat shields removed--Put some heat from a torch on the exhaust pipe at the baffle largest OD so it will expand.
If you can get some oil on the baffles it would help.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Careful with a slide hammer. The pipes are strong, but if you get too rough with it you can damage mounting points.

Spray a good bit of WD40 or something similar down there, and if possible, add heat externally. I used a section of welding rod with the tip bent over so I could hook it in. I put vice grips on the end of it, and tapped with a hammer. Every bit of progress is one step closer, but if you are in too much of a hurry, you might damage something.

The quiet baffles are not really quieter than the regular baffles, they deepen the tone a bit and mellow it a bit, but they're still pretty loud.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks one and all! I did think of a slide hammer but not sure where I could attach it without casuing damage. I'll look again.

Did a lot of reading last night and a LOT of people say it's not really worth it, but I've got them, so will try again. I also read that the retro and s models had the quiet baffle fitted as standard in the V&H that I have..? Thoughts..? If so, someone HAS drilled a hole in the end solid baffle. Any thoughts on putting a bolt tight in there to fill the hole?

·
Registered
12,629 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
64,141 Posts
You have R model Vance&Hines pipes. These CAME with their Quiet baffles and this sounds like what you have in there. These are their Standard baffles and they are straight through baffles, no end caps at all;

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Thanks one and all! I did think of a slide hammer but not sure where I could attach it without casuing damage. I'll look again.

Did a lot of reading last night and a LOT of people say it's not really worth it, but I've got them, so will try again. I also read that the retro and s models had the quiet baffle fitted as standard in the V&H that I have..? Thoughts..? If so, someone HAS drilled a hole in the end solid baffle. Any thoughts on putting a bolt tight in there to fill the hole?
Not what you're asking, but.........:)

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the other two comments too. Interesting. And certainly sounds like I have them fitted already but with drilled holes. I'll try a bolt and report back!

Anyone in the UK want to buy a set of unopened baffles? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :sneaky:

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Like Spike said...I looked again mine are as pictured by spike...if u have an end cap somebody been diddling with it...good luck..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts