Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the Baron Big Air Kit. I have read many posts regarding air intakes here on this forum. I know that will want to get Glenn's A/F tool. The big question is... for those of you have installed BAK... should I get the FP Jet Kit or just use what comes with the Baron BAK?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have a Baron's BAK on my 1300 and I used the FP kit because I already had it. I used the 68 pilot, 215 main, and the needle is on the 3rd clip. The A/F screw tunes out at 1.75. Bike runs awesome, never uses the choke, and averages low 40s in MPG. There is nothing wrong with the kit that comes with the BAK, but it is a rebranded DJ kit and they use their own jet sizes whereas the FP kit uses Keihin jet sizes, which is the same as the carburetor's OEM jets. Charlie D who is a member here and at the café has an excellent write-up on 1300 carb tuning and I suggest checking it out. It is titled "Carb what affects what" and is a sticky thread on the café. The FP kit also comes with a good tuning write-up too. You can try my settings and see what you think, but it's best to determine your own best tune by trial and error due to differences in elevation and climate. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I run the ones that came with the BAKit on my VTX. I also ran them on a Vstar 1100. It runs like a striped azz ape and starts up quick every time, no choke with 45 to 48 MPG. I dont remember the turn outs but just follow directions and fine tune from there. Its like Ford or Chevy, either will work great for you. Im not really a carb guy so many on here will have all kinds of experience with them. Im sure they will answer. Good Luck with it, you'll love it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I see that some folks have merely replaced their stock air filter with a K&N replacement. Is that really all you have to do to get more air?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. I see that some folks have merely replaced their stock air filter with a K&N replacement. Is that really all you have to do to get more air?
Not really, but if you decap the stock airbox (and/or mod the cover) you will get more air with the K&N vs. a stock filter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Decap is a great inexpensive mod!

So... I have been itching to do something about my stock air intake. I have read probably every thread here and at the Cafe about intakes, jet kits, Scar Mod, Decap and Glenn's A/F tool. I have spent hours narrowing down which air kit I want to get. Some come with jets some w/o... but to do it right it appears that the Factory Pro kit is the way to go so any jets that come with would just get tossed in the tool box. So... with that said, today I bought a stock air box for cheap money. I figured if I decap it and screw it up I still have my original.

I have Bubs with Stealth Baffles and apparently I have a Dyno Jet, not sure what size but there is a picture of FP, DJ and stock side by side somewhere here or at the cafe. There was only one spacer on it and the e-clip was on the center groove (3rd of 5). I broke out my Dremel and Cut off wheel and decapped the air box. I put it all back together and went for a ride.

WOW! what a huge difference... I knew it was starving! :shock:

When I first got the bike I was always looking for another gear when I got on the highway... not any more! Holy Crap! I love it! :yikes:

Best $20 I ever spent. All I am going to do now is order a K&N and possibly send my spare cover out for a custom water jet cut.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
So... I have been itching to do something about my stock air intake. I have read probably every thread here and at the Cafe about intakes, jet kits, Scar Mod, Decap and Glenn's A/F tool. I have spent hours narrowing down which air kit I want to get. Some come with jets some w/o... but to do it right it appears that the Factory Pro kit is the way to go so any jets that come with would just get tossed in the tool box. So... with that said, today I bought a stock air box for cheap money. I figured if I decap it and screw it up I still have my original.

I have Bubs with Stealth Baffles and apparently I have a Dyno Jet, not sure what size but there is a picture of FP, DJ and stock side by side somewhere here or at the cafe. There was only one spacer on it and the e-clip was on the center groove (3rd of 5). I broke out my Dremel and Cut off wheel and decapped the air box. I put it all back together and went for a ride.

WOW! what a huge difference... I knew it was starving! :shock:

When I first got the bike I was always looking for another gear when I got on the highway... not any more! Holy Crap! I love it! :yikes:

Best $20 I ever spent. All I am going to do now is order a K&N and possibly send my spare cover out for a custom water jet cut.

here is what i cut into my cover

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks great... question though... what do you get to put behind the opening besides the wire mesh?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
That looks great... question though... what do you get to put behind the opening besides the wire mesh?

that is up to you. take a walk through lowes or the hardware store. thats how i found a mesh i liked

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya but is there something else in addition to the mesh? Otherwise it appears as though large objects can get sucked into the carb defeating the air filter...

·
Registered
34,470 Posts
Ya but is there something else in addition to the mesh? Otherwise it appears as though large objects can get sucked into the carb defeating the air filter...
The air filter sits snug over the carb, nothing's going to get in, except more air.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Corrections.. I forgot to mention I also did the Scar Mod, clipped the plastic spring older in half. Also, I just saw on another thread that says if the Main Jet has 5 grooves its FP. So I must have an FP not a DynoJEt.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The air filter sits snug over the carb, nothing's going to get in, except more air.
:thumbup:

it doesnt defeat the filter. it just allows more air in

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thunder Hurricane or Baron BAK Question

Okay... I have done the Desmog and Decap... I know I have a FP Needle (on 3rd slot but also has a #4 washer on it therefore 3-1/2 slot). The only markings on my Main is 55S and no markings on the Pilot so I am not sure what the heck the previous owner did. I also have BUBS and I put in the Stealth Baffles, the dB's didn't change much but there is a noticable difference cruising and I suspect there is more back pressure because the baffles are blind. I plan on getting my own FP stage 3 kit so I have peace of mind knowing what I actually have. My changes to date are amazing, its a whole different animal. I do not want to spend a ton of money on an air intake, the decap made a world of difference... However, I keep seeing posts rating the Thunder Hurricane as being right up there with the Baron's BAK. I had my mind set on the Baron but also read that it is a PITA to get on and off. Today I see this ad for Thunder Hurricane at DLP marked down to $137 (p/n thu-t13hursb).

View attachment 102945

My question is for those who bought it ... what is in the kit? I cannot find a list of "what you get" any where.
It says it has K&N filter and Dyno Jet kit, anything else I should know...like does it come with the cover?

Please help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts