Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had these bars for 6 months didn’t want to tackle this because I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass.

since the bike is down from the accident and since I had to buy new handlebar controls anyway, I tackled this today.

6 freaking hours. 4 of that just depinning the connectors.. my fingers hurt, my eyes hurt (and I was using my kids electronic microscope to see the pins).

But it is done.

I will say they look really nice. I found a show chrome accessory switch and modified the bars a bit to make it fit by the brake master cylinder, don’t think it was designed for anything other than Harley Bars. But it works..

Bought some OEM master cylinders and had them PC black, then I fabricated a bracket to mount the turn signals on them using the handle pull set screw. (have only done one side so yes there is only one signal in the picture).

Fun times ahead

Art Font Jewellery Religious item Metal
Camera accessory Bicycle part Cameras & optics Camera Metal

Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle fork Automotive lighting

Reactions: Mangodog

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
6 freaking hours. 4 of that just depinning the connectors.. my fingers hurt, my eyes hurt (and I was using my kids electronic microscope to see the pins).
Ah yes, the joy of re-pinning harnesses to match. BTDT. Buddy of mine wanted Harley bars and controls on his custom bike that started life as a Kawasaki. Not easy to convert a metric bike to Harley parts but it can be done with enough labor.
The banjo bolts on the clutch and brake are probably 3/8" but should bolt up to the 10mm hoses no problem. Make sure the sealing washers are clean, soft and "plump".

I will say they look really nice. I found a show chrome accessory switch and modified the bars a bit to make it fit by the brake master cylinder, don’t think it was designed for anything other than Harley Bars. But it works..
Yeah, the Harley bars usually have "dimples" to allow the wires from the controls to pass under the brake and clutch brackets. Completely different from metric bikes. Or you can make cut-outs with a grinder to get the harness in.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, the joy of re-pinning harnesses to match. BTDT. Buddy of mine wanted Harley bars and controls on his custom bike that started life as a Kawasaki. Not easy to convert a metric bike to Harley parts but it can be done with enough labor.
The banjo bolts on the clutch and brake are probably 3/8" but should bolt up to the 10mm hoses no problem. Make sure the sealing washers are clean, soft and "plump".

Yeah, the Harley bars usually have "dimples" to allow the wires from the controls to pass under the brake and clutch brackets. Completely different from metric bikes. Or you can make cut-outs with a grinder to get the harness in.

the problem with the accessory switch was fitment, Baron's didn't leave any extra space for add on parts, the parts go from 1.5" to 1" at the control and grip area with barely enough room for the OEM Controls. The show chrome part won't bolt up to the 1.5" area. makes for a tight fit. I ended up beveling the show chrome bracket so it was able to bolt up half on the 1.5" side (which is actually about 1.3" due to the bars having their own bevel from 1.5 to 1.0) and half on the 1.0" then finding some nice rubber spacers commonly used on bicycles to shim accessories on the handlebars. worked out pretty well, it is secure.

I wish Show Chrome and put the wire loom on the back or bottom and not the side, looks funky, but it is what it is.

Now I have to run the wires for the turn signals through the bars, completely slipped my mind yesterday, was looking at it last night and realized that the turn signal wires are hanging off the bars.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I feel your pain. I bought some Clubman bars for my Yamaha V-Star and routed the control wires through them. I avoided all the de-pinning hassle by buying a used set of same controls off eBay so I only had to splice the original wiring onto the spare harnesses (which are plug-n-play).

For anyone else trying this; To pull my harness through the bar, (see photo of bar) I used a long dog walking chain fastened the the harness that dropped easy past the bends. I'm guessing you already know this, but if you the bar needs holes drilled in it, it's essential to use a center punch on your bar to give the drill a starting point, otherwise it'll walk all over the place.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: Mr. Incredible

·
Registered
VTX 1300
13 Posts

On my VTX 1300. My. Harley. Bars. Just. Fitted as. Wiring. Is. On. Out. Side of. Bars I. Did. Need. To. File. Down. The. Pins. On. Clusters to. Fit. Snug but. Easy. Fit . All cablesfitted brake linejust nice
These onmy scooter in Australia are rabbit ear bars
Harley seat fits frameok with adjustment angles
Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

I too. Got. The. Barwon. Adapted to. Fit. Head .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts