Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone who has road with both Apes and Drag bars, which is more comfortable? I can't decide which whould be better. I want more than just looks because I want to be able to comfortably make long rides.

David

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
depends on the bike. I've ridden an HD with baby apes, it was a shovelhead superglide with 14in baby apes on... looked good and very comfortable to ride. I got to put about 250 miles on this bike... I've sat on a C mod VTX with drag bars and it felt quite aggressive, but no way for a long road trip, not for me... I'm using my stock S mod bars with 4in pullback risers. Works for me... my longest day ride was 690+ miles with this set up....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have never ridden a bike with ape hangers but some of my friends
have and they all say negative things about the experience.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have ridden with both for me apes are a lot more comfortable that drag bars. That is also an opinion that everyone will be different on. Honda factory C bars for me sucked but I sat on a bike with a set of punisher's and they felt good. On the apes as long you don't stop the flow of blood to your hands they can be extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Someone who has road with both Apes and Drag bars, which is more comfortable? I can't decide which should be better. I want more than just looks because I want to be able to comfortably make long rides.

David
There are more options out there than 'drags & apes' so take your time! See what else might fit your style.:doorag:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Someone who has road with both Apes and Drag bars, which is more comfortable? I can't decide which whould be better. I want more than just looks because I want to be able to comfortably make long rides.

David
Right now I have 20" apes that I originally bought for looks but soon found out I was 10x more comfortable not "reaching" for the stock bars. The feel is a little different but after a good week of riding you get used to the added leverage, kinda like power steering.

I have little experience with drag bars so take my opinion here with a grain of salt but the bike I rode with drag bars also had forward controls and I couldn't have been more uncomfortable, I was in that stretching to touch your toes position. Now granted this bike was set up as a bar hopper and I understand looks can take priority here but the whole leaning forward thing, even to a lesser degree and with out forward controls, just makes my lower back hurt thinking about it.

Check out a few dealerships in your area they may have some bikes set up both ways that you can sit on to get a feel but to answer you question I would have to say apes hands down are more comfortable. Good luck either way :cool:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Apes for sure!
When I owned my Broomstick Drag Bars, I got tired pretty quick after being hunched over for so long.

IMO the apes allow so much more mobility on the road that I'll probably not go back to standard bars again...I do recommend a throttle lock for those long 10 hour+ rides....

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've got the stock C bars and they get my back all tensed up, just ask my Chiropracter. I love the way they handle though and am hoping for some punishers as soon as the silly season is over and cash flow is a little better.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My experience with the apes has been great..No more shoulder pain on long or short rides...I've not had any hand or arm problems...I personally wouldn't go any higher than 16"..Also alot easier to control than you might think, it is for me anyway...

LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone's input.

I know there are more options, but my favorite bars look wise are probably Apes then drag bars. From what you guys have said I would probably be better off to look for some cool apes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts