Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scratched exhaust pipes on my stock 2004 1300 "C". Insurance is paying to replace them. Should I have the dealer order me a "better" set of pipes than the stock pipes? If so what pipes are better? I have little knowledge about the what, why, and therefores of exhaust systems...it just seems like this may be an opportunity to get an inexpensive upgrade. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
It would be a perfect time to up grade, but first you need to no how much or how little noise you can stand, then it is a matter of which style you like. You really need to get out where there are a group of riders with the different pipes so you can listen to them first hand because what looks good may not sound so good to you. And the words I just love mine is pretty usless when it comes down to the sound factor. Oh by the way I just love my roadhouse classic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree you need to listen to a few.
One thing you may want to consider is going with slipons. They are just the muffler part (use your front pipe & they just slip on) that is if the pipes aren't damaged.
new exhaust system will run you $400 & up
slip ons for around $240 & up.
Don't forget the labor, unless you do it yourself.

Complete exhaust gives you more performance, you need to rejet the carb. kit about 70 bucks

with slipons no rejet is needed

If you have a little more time research it, talk with friends. You'll be happy you did in the end.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with papa, it's a perfect time to upgrade, but find out what you can stand or like. Many websites will have WAV files of their pipes' sound. On my previous bike (Aero 750) I have a set of Hard Krome k2's, and while they were nice and loud, they were almost too loud for me. I prefer a low rumble, that the 1300 has.
Plus, if you get a full set of pipes, you will need a jet kit ($100.00) and then re-jet (I had the dealer do it, I believe it was around $100.00).
For me, I think I will go the cheaper route, and get slip ons. I'd rather spend the extra cash on other goodies for the bike.

TB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts