Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is still good, but for how much longer?
Most maintenance-free batteries die suddenly after 3-4 years in cars. What's the story on the 02 VTX. In Louisiana we ride year round, and I have about 14,000 miles.
I want to change it the week before it dies. LOL

G

·
0 Posts
batteries

I've talked to several bikers (of all makes) and they swear by the "gel" batteries. They last many years. From the reports I've heard, anywhere from 5 years to one that's still going on 10 years.

My next battery will most certainly be a gel battery. I'm like you, I'll want to replace the day before mine dies!

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
Up here where the bike sits for 4-5 months, yes. I've had batteries last as short as 1 year, but never over 3 on any of the different bikes I've had. 8)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My Valk's battery has been going strong for 5 1/2 yrs. Knock on wood.

V

·
0 Posts
Depends how you tread the battery. Me, I don’t like battery tenders – I think they kill them. They can do the duty of our rectifier/regulator. The “other” brand have problems with bad wiring and simple circuits (1950) the drain the battery in a short time period. But, not this Honda.

In 30 years of handling bikes and their problems – I never owned a “tender”. I come from a part of Germany (south) there gets real cold in the winter – I know how this feels when the folks in Maine say – brrrr cold.
Anyway, if my bike sits for awhile I disconnect the plus and the minus. If the bike sits for longer – I take it out and keep it level, not to cold and not to hot.
I have a 2002 Frame # ends with a 008## - now you know how old my bike/battery is, 4 years. NO problem – my starter have a hell of a job to do because I have high compression pistons.
I think our battery should hold 5 years at least.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I sold my '98 R1 a few months ago with the original battery still in it and it still started well. Everybody on the R1 forum told me years ago that I was crazy to still be running the original battery and that I was gonna get stranded for sure. I've had my fair share of sudden-death bike batteries (like the one in my 900 Ninja that died while I was inside the credit union picking up the check for the R1!) but I really believe that battery technology has come a long way in the last few years. The new sealed maintenance free "absorbed glass mat" batteries are far more vibration resistant and deliver better cranking amperage than their old fashioned lead-sulfate counterparts. We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW Pete, that R1 battery of mine went in the house and on the tender every winter. Seven years is the most life I EVER got out of a bike battery. Don't be too hard on the "tenders". :wink:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Stopped for a broke down POS '74 Harley the other day. Turns out - his battery just crapped out. The date sticker on the battery?: Oct 1993

Can you say: Should have never been on the road?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I read your long version of that, got me thinking about mine.

1993, that ought to go down as a pretender to the record.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sounds like we're going for a record here. In 2000 I replaced the original battery in my 1987 Honda Helix. It looked like the original, who had never failed, was getting weak and barely starting the scoot.

On the other extreme, I purchased my 03 Retro in Oct of 02. I left the dealership and traveled about 20 miles to my brother's house. As we were looking over this new ride, we noticed a liquid leaking underneath in front of rear tire. A closer inspection revealed a battery acid leak. I immediately returned to the Honda dealership & they replaced the battery and neutralized & washed away the spilled battery acid. That's the long & short of my battery experience.

·
Registered
983 Posts
dd3genrider said:
My battery is still good, but for how much longer?
Most maintenance-free batteries die suddenly after 3-4 years in cars. What's the story on the 02 VTX. In Louisiana we ride year round, and I have about 14,000 miles.
I want to change it the week before it dies. LOL
I've been wondering the same thing. An X's battery is the same as the flagship Goldwing. My bike was built in April 2001 sold in Aug. of 02 sold to me in Aug. of 03 with 3500 miles. I ride year round and never use a tender plus the bike is in an unheated garage. It has sat for as long as 2 weeks without starting because of snow/ice. So I guess for my experience it's life is more than I first thought. Have 22k miles now and will put on another 1k this weekend, might replace the battery next spring.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if the battery dies while the engine is running. Does the alternator output carry the load at idle or would the engine die? Yikes :shock:

·
Registered
983 Posts
dd3genrider said:
What if the battery dies while the engine is running. Does the alternator output carry the load at idle or would the engine die? Yikes :shock:
bike would keep running..... wouldn't start the next time though. I'm just cheap :?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Maybe it's me, but I'd never shuck a battery just 'cause it's old. If it still works, why replace it? Keep your battery clean and charged and it should last several years. Every winter I remove mine, clean it, put it in a dark, cool corner of the basement on top of a piece of cardboard, plug it into the battery tender and let it sit. Battery tenders don't kill batteries, letting your battery go dead every year and then recharging it kills batteries. Sorry, Pete.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I have had batteries last anywhere from 10mins (03 CBR954, the dealer put in a new one and apologized profusely). to 9yrs. (1990 VFR).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mine will be four years old on April 24th with a little over 25K miles. I used a battery tender once or twice in the 4 years. It starts right up.

Carl

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Three years on my original battery, 02 1800R bought May 2002. Still runs strong, and thats in Montana winters that get downright brutal in an unheated garage or storage unit for around four months, no battery tender or battery removal. :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts