Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a battery tender from Wall Mart (schumacher) and hooked it up at the start of the cold season.I went out yesterday,(I thought I'd turn the motor over) and the lights barely came on. :mad:I pulled the battery today and will let it warm in the house,before I charge it. What did I do wrong? Is it to cold to leave the battery in the bike?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know I am in the minority, but I HATE battery tenders, simply not needed. Cant help you on your exact problem though. good luck.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Tenders suck IMO. I never use one and my original one lasted 7 years.

Second don't start the bike just cause. It causes more problems then it helps. By heating up the engine you won't get it up to temp to burn off moisture and can actually attract more. Just leave it until spring. Put the battery in the basement for the winter...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks, I'll just pull the battery from now on. I had read somewhere that if you could turn the motor over w/o starting it would keep surfaces oiled,they probably did'nt live in the frozen north!! Thanks agian.

·
Registered
420 Posts
walmart brand battery tender is the problem, I bought mine from Honda 6 years ago and till this day have never had a problem

G

·
First year using the Battery Tender JR. here. Have it plugged in now...Hope to not have any issues come spring! When I paid to have it stored they pulled the battery and put it on a trickle charger...which I thought all the tender is doing without having to take it out of the bike. One thing that motivated me was the adapters you can plug the pig tails into for other items like iPods and mobile phone chargers.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-appliance

sorry to hear about your woes...but I think X'N is right (Chicago Spike preaches the hell out of this as well) leave her sit until you are ready to take her out of storage.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
There are debates either way on a tender. My view is you really don't need it. I feel that by keeping it fully charged at all times it will cook the water out of your battery and degrade it. I have never had a battery go bad that I've removed, charged, and placed in an area where it won't freeze. When spring comes around top charge it if you want before you put it back in the bike.

I see the tenders as nothing more that a smart person with a good degree in advertising.

AKA snake oil

If your really worried about the cylinders rusting and such during the winter spray some fogging oil down the plug holes.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
I've always pulled mine out of the bike, and put it on a battery tender in my parents basement. It is still the original battery from when I bought the bike in 03. No problems yet. Knock on wood. Will probably replace it this year though. The big thing I think is keeping it from freezing. I think the battery tender is supposed to do that while the battery remains on the bike, but I don't like chancing it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info,I did fog the cycinders so that should be good enough. Hooking up the tender in the garage was going to have it ready on short notice in the spring! But 30 min won't make much difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts