Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year ago I bought a gel battery. Well a month ago I installed an accessory that drained my battery dead. I tried to charge my battery but tender flashes with error. I’m guessing the battery is done. I thought gels were supposed to handle being completely dead. Anywho, I need a new battery and I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Try hooking a 12v car battery to your tender. Then hook that battery to your bike. So there are actually 2 batteries hooked up. I've heard this can trick the tender to work for low batteries.

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
Over the years many have posted similar stories as yours....I’m sure thre are plenty of good batteries out there....but I canT remember ever reading such stories about Yuasa...I’m on my 2nd in 14 years ...good luck on your choice....

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Some tenders will not charge if the voltage is too low.
What JPT said will work but there could be a high current flow.
I would use a 12v bulb in series with the dead MC battery to prevent high current.

Neg posts connected together, a bulb from the + post to the other battery + post.

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
Some tenders will not charge if the voltage is too low.
What JPT said will work but there could be a high current flow.
I would use a 12v bulb in series with the dead MC battery to prevent high current.

Neg posts connected together, a bulb from the + post to the other battery + post.
I wish u would quit assuming all of us are as smart as u... :) (No offense Brett..) ....I enjoy your answers but I need them dumbed down...carry on Eienstien...(y)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys thank you. I will try that science experiment first. I think I might have to contact the EPA, OSHA and the local hazmat team..............
What sucks is the battery is maybe three years old. What sucks even more I have to figure out where to hook up my accessory so it goes off with the switch. I have a 2002 1800c. Is the ignition terminal in the headlight bucket? (I’m smart, but not when it comes to this stuff)

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
FYI...Amazon usually has good price on Yuasa....a lot of us run a aux. key on fuse box...should be instructions on here somewhere...or theres Hans....good luck

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
The Optional Fog Light connector in the HL bucket good for 4 amps.
It is on the same fuse as the speedo, tail light.

1800 also has a extra terminal from the IGN switch, but you have to add a fuse.
Bare says he would use it for up to 10 amps.

Reactions: BrettsX

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Guys thank you. I will try that science experiment first. I think I might have to contact the EPA, OSHA and the local hazmat team..............
What sucks is the battery is maybe three years old. What sucks even more I have to figure out where to hook up my accessory so it goes off with the switch. I have a 2002 1800c. Is the ignition terminal in the headlight bucket? (I’m smart, but not when it comes to this stuff)
How about running a 6-circuit fuse block off the battery, and individual accessories to the 6 circuits that are all fuse-protected? And use EZ ID kind that light up when they pop.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bare says he would use it for up to 10 amps.
Speaking of Bare, do you or anyone know if he is alright? When I click on his profile on his website, this is what it shows; Last visited: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Call him!
447 EVERGREEN CT SLIDELL, LA 70458 Get Directions

(985) 641-1441

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over a year ago I bought a gel battery. Well a month ago I installed an accessory that drained my battery dead. I tried to charge my battery but tender flashes with error. I’m guessing the battery is done. I thought gels were supposed to handle being completely dead. Anywho, I need a new battery and I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Don't buy a gel battery. They are a joke, once they get drained they are toast. I'd go with the yuasa. Gel batteries don't last if you don't use them every day either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nowadays, a common acid battery is a joke compared with gel, AGM or lion battery .But everyone finds their own .I installed the Wiseco bigbore kit to my bike and only one battery can turn it all times ,Shido LTX20L BS-420A 7Ah Li-ion battery.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I bought my VTX 7 years and 2 months ago. PO had an AGM battery in it when I got it and it's still going strong. Date on battery has year 2009. Lucky ? Maybe. I know Yuasa seems to be the preferred standard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts