Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I would like to put a nice fairing on my 2003 1800 r/s for a radio and speakers like I had on a dresser I had I would like some info if anyone has some thanks what kind? were to get it or can I put a Harley one on it I can fab stuff

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buy the Hoppe fairing it comes with 4 speakers and is built very well. I have had mine for 5 years and is still in great shape with 30,000 miles put on it. Very nice stereo and speakers. It is called the quadzilla

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ebay Shop (similar to the Invitica fairings that are no longer around): ABS - 6x9 speaker and head unit cutout - Ebay - $500
Woody's: Fiberglass - no cutouts ($664) - with either 6x9 or 5.25" speaker and head unit cutout ($783)
Extreme Revolutions: Fiberglass - 5.25" speakers and head unit cutouts - $799
Memphis Shades: ABS - no cutouts - $280 (no windshield - $75 extra, no mounting kit - $143) - so about $500 equivalently equipped with the rest of the pack (no cutouts though).
WOC (Wide Open Customs): ABS - 5.25" speakers and head unit cutouts - built-in glovebox (provides inside access - this is a one-piece unit) - $750 (note: they use the MS quick-release brackets)
Kuryakyn Sportech Plus: ABS - no cutouts (but there is room to make them yourself) - easily detached - List $650 (but you can get it here for $390).

It seems to me that it really matters how much you want to have to prep or not. We all can argue quality all day long but the short of the long of it is that it depends on how much work you want to put into your fairing yourself or how much you want to pay the paint/body folks. All 5 are similar but the Woody's is slimmer, the XR hangs lower but is not as wide, the MS doesn't have the ability to mount an audio system, and the WOC is designed to go on and off quickly. Look at the pics of the fairing blanks and see what style you like the best. Most of the arguments against the XR fairings that I have seen (shout out to BD Cycles) is in relation to their old ABS units that they discontinued. There seems to be little argument that the MS trigger lock mounting system is the best but it's also almost $150. And the "it's cheaper" argument is no longer valid for the XR fairings.

:edit: Was schooled that Invitica is no longer around. My point still remains that at current pricing, you will pay about the same for all of them 'loaded out' by the time you have the fairing, body work, paint, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Woody will provide cut-outs as requested. I ordered mine with 5.25" speakers installed. If you e-mail him he will respond quickly and will work with you as best he can to meet your needs. Working direct with the guy that makes them is really a plus. My painter lost a part and Woody just mailed me another one no questions asked. Just my last 2 cents. 8)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Definitely a Woody's. Having the phone number/ email address of the person who is building your fairing is a great thing. The fact that he gets back to you within 24 hours is a bonus. I could not be happier with mine. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
84 Posts
What every fairing you buy you will need to put and external antenna on the bike if you install a HID head light kit. The transformer for the bulb interferes with the antenna hidden under the fairing and you get real bad reception. Or just listen to an Ipod with music loaded on it. Also fiberglass will hold up longer to the weather and the sun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a reckless fairing for $400 + $50 for the polished aluminum windshield trim. This fairing comes with black gel coat. The bracket system was easy to install. Since I am picky about stereo equipment, I ordered it bare. It has cutouts for the head unit and 4 x 5.25 speakers.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just stumbled onto a Bates fairing on Craigs List, $50 bucks,
An older model with a tall windshield, but it looks a lot like a Bat Wing, open back no radio or speaker set up,
I mounted it on the X with a bit of McGyvering, and for the money, I like it!!!!!
The tall windshield is great, I will never have a stone hit me in the face at 65mph again,,

REAPS

·
Registered
92 Posts
Woody's is the Best!!!!

well I would like to put a nice fairing on my 2003 1800 r/s for a radio and speakers like I had on a dresser I had I would like some info if anyone has some thanks what kind? were to get it or can I put a Harley one on it I can fab stuff
Woody's All the Way!!!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts