glad

God had His hand on you and your wife.
so sad for those lives represented in the cars. :(

~M

·
Registered
25,836 Posts
Wow! Glad you're OK!

I recently purchased steel braided brake lines to help in just such an event as stopping even 1 foot sooner can make the difference between a hit/miss.

Based on the description of the cars, one has to imagine the driver who pulled into the head-on path was likely distracted (cell phone?). Where I live about 60-80% of the drivers have a cell phone in their hand when work lets out at 5-6 pm. :cus:

Not being a smart azz, but why would braided brake lines help you stop faster?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks for starting thread on this forum too. I saw and replied to your post on the Gold Wing forum. It's hard to believe that you were able to keep the bike upright for a 122 foot skid. Those photos are excellent, though the subject on one isn't so good.

"What it boils down to is, operating a motor vehicle and especially a motorcycle, is a crapshoot. A month ago I came over a hill just as an on coming SUV swerved onto my side of the yellow line and was heading directly toward me. I moved right and got as close to the edge of the pavement as possible (drop off into a cornfield) and fortunately the driver jerked the vehicle back over the yellow line. In 55 years of riding, I don't think I have come that close to a head on."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank God you are ok.
Seems like there are so many accidents. People do not pay attention. I don't know how many people I have seen people driving and texting, or under the influence of something. Be safe out there guys and gals!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Not being a smart azz, but why would braided brake lines help you stop faster?

Rubber hoses flex under hard braking, especially when they are hot from brake fluid under hard or extended braking (e.g. twisties). The steel braded lines have teflon inner coatings and the brading keeps the line from flexing as much. This results in a firmer, more responsive brake operation. In theory, with less line flexing it takes less pressure to get the same amount of fluid to the pad and under hot conditions, or hard braking, so quicker response to braking should equate to a shorter stopping distance, even if it is very marginal. Consider that even missing something by an inch is still missing it.

Of course it could very well be argued that a list of other things can help a rider stop faster;

• Anti-lock brakes
  • Advanced Rider courses
  • Reduced weight
  • Better Tires, proper inflation
  • Better calipers
  • Wrist exercise :laugh:
My original point was that whatever we can do to stop faster/quicker can mean all the difference between a hit or a miss.

·
Registered
25,836 Posts
Rubber hoses flex under hard braking, especially when they are hot from brake fluid under hard or extended braking (e.g. twisties). The steel braded lines have teflon inner coatings and the brading keeps the line from flexing as much. This results in a firmer, more responsive brake operation. In theory, with less line flexing it takes less pressure to get the same amount of fluid to the pad and under hot conditions, or hard braking, so quicker response to braking should equate to a shorter stopping distance, even if it is very marginal. Consider that even missing something by an inch is still missing it.

Of course it could very well be argued that a list of other things can help a rider stop faster;

• Anti-lock brakes
  • Advanced Rider courses
  • Reduced weight
  • Better Tires, proper inflation
  • Better calipers
  • Wrist exercise :laugh:
My original point was that whatever we can do to stop faster/quicker can mean all the difference between a hit or a miss.

Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
As others have said. I am glad you and your other half are OK and sorry you had to go thru what you did to help the others. Thanks for posting as it keeps the dangers in the forefront for all of us.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Poser, Having some one die while you are there is a horrible thing, while in your arms is even worse. I'm glad you have written about it and got this off your chest. We all like to think we are fairly bulletproof and not prone to stress from situations like this but the shock of being there after a scare like you had and then to see someone's life snuff out can lead to bottling it up and that is not good for our mental health. Glad you come out safe and we have all discussed it. On a side note, I bet your arse puckered when you pulled on the anchors !

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
CORRECTION

I left home at 5am this morning with a 100ft reel measure and personally measured the skid.
It's 102 feet and a few inches. Not 122 feet.

I must have mis-heard them, because I don't think they would make a mistake like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A
We are OK - no injuries.
I'm beginning to believe in Guardian Angels.

We were out riding yesterday, 2-up on the red bike - on a rural Missouri road.
For some unknown reason, an oncoming car pulled directly into the path of the car that was in front of us. Both cars were traveling at approximately 55 mph. It was an instant and horrific crash.

Thankfully, we managed to miss the accident by a foot and a half.... at the end of a 122 102 foot skid.

This crash happened virtually instantly and without warning on a nice, sunny day in a rural area where one would feel a bit more safe from the chaotic traffic of the cities.

Life is short. Try to have a little fun each day
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Glad all is OK, 102 feet from 55 mph was some very good braking. Nice controlled skid.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sir,
It seems to me that you did one heck of a job keeping the bike upright with a passenger on the back. Considering you did not have time to think but only react I am impressed by your riding skills. On those back roads, on a clear and sunny day like that, it is easy to not pay attention to our surroundings.

So sad for the other accident victims. God bless you for offering peace and comfort in a terrible situation.

Clint

21 - 36 of 36 Posts