Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this as a reply to the thread about the downed biker, but then decided to maybe start a new thread:

News about downed comrades who have lost to idiot cagers is always tragic. I totally agree with many others on this board that we must do all we can to enhance visibility. Many riders make bad choices on what to wear, in my opinion--black chaps, black boots, black jacket, and black helmet, which also are a lot hotter in warmer months, by the way, because black absorbs the sun's energy (put your hand on a white car on a 90-degree day, then try putting your hand on a black car). Those dorky fluorescent vests help a lot, but if not that, at least choose a light-colored jacket and helmet. I have a bright Joe Rocket jacket and a white helmet, and I fly a small U.S. flag from a rig on my luggage rack, mostly because it catches the eye. I also have small spots up front, an extra-bright tail light bulb, and extra turn signals that I mounted by my handgrips on homemade brackets. And I still don't trust any cager out there.

If we combine being seen with those safety rules we learned in the MSF course--like always keeping two or three seconds behind traffic, always doing a head check before changing lanes, not going crazy with that throttle, and being really alert at intersections--we can greatly up the odds in our favor. There are some great threads on safety on this board that we all should review once in a while.

Any other ideas on this?
___

04 1300 candy-red C with lots of do-dads.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Visibility

I think the number one cause of death and serious injury is the infamous "Head on traffic turning left" infront of you. This being the case, I don't know that what you wear makes much difference unless you have a flashing blue strobe on top of your helmut. Add to this the fact that most new cars have the lights on at all times now, our headlights just blend into the crowd. Maybe the best thing is the headlight modulator flashing between high and low beam. It's an attention getter. I haven't done this on our bikes yet, but I think I will. Like I told the wife when she started riding, "Dead doesn't care who had the right of way".
Ride safe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would also add that I'm not so sure that being seen makes much of a difference. I've been pulled out in front of several times, and I KNOW they saw me. I just didn't register. But I plan on painting my bike hot pink, maybe they'll at least stop to gaw :eek: k.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Spitting in the ocean

If they don't see a SUV with it's headlights on, they won't see the extras you suggest.

Personally, I want the death penalty for cellphone talkers who are driving. Almost hit 3 times this morning by women chattering on their phones, running stops, cutting over without looking, etc. And I was in the SUV with my headlights on.

One bimbo even had the nerve to take her other hand off the wheel and wave a fiddl-dee-dee at me (steering with her ta-tas, I guess) as she ran the stopsign right in front of me.

One super-bimbo came over on me, running us onto the shoulder because she was driving and using both hands for text-messaging. (Holding the phone at the top of the wheel and steering with her palms.)

And of course, they CAN'T signal, they don't have a free hand.

And I love the contractors, talking on the phone and reading a clipboard as they weave in and out of traffic.

But I watch the teenage girls at the school when I pick up my kids. They talk to their friends 15 feet away. ON THEIR CELLPHONES.

My dentist's receptionist had her 14-yr-old daughter, who had a cellphone "for emergencies only," run-up a $3000 bill in one month! (Mom's philosophy now that the phone is gone: A funeral is cheaper, and a one-time expense, too.)

I think things are going to get MUCH MUCH worse as "cellphone kids" grow up. They won't be able to take a dump without 3-way text messaging.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I added Kury Spots running lights, and that helped my visibility, but the absolutely best thing I added to increase my visibility is a headlight modulator. I immediately started noticing cagers doing double-takes when you can tell they would have pulled out after the first glance, cages in the left turn lane inching out then stopping when they would have otherwise pulled out in front of you, etc. I am absolutely sold that this is the single best thing one can add that will increase your visibility to oncoming cagers. Besides dramatically increasing your visibility to cagers, it makes them pause for a sec trying to determine if your a LEO or what! This pause is noticable, and seems to be enough time for them to realize/recognize you are there.

Granted, nothing will work 100% of the time, but this mod is pretty darn good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Headlight and BrakeLight Modulator

I'm with you, VTXinVA: the headlight modulator and the brakelight modulator is a great safety accessory. I'm using the Signal Dynamics unit, and I'm convinced that it gives me more conspicuity.

A group of us Nebraska VTX owners are having a Tech Day in a couple of weeks, and we're going to mount the Honda Light Bar that I ordered a few days ago. The dealer told me that I wouldn't be able to have my High Beam on when my Light Bar was on, but a couple of Nebraska VTX owners said that we can wire my light bar so that it and my high beam are on simultaneously. Now, I'll have my high beam on modulator, and my light bar on at the same time. My visibility should be greatly increased, but I still plan to ride as defensively as I can.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For those of you who don't want to do the modulator thing, when approaching an intersection you don't have a good feeling about flick the brights on and off a few times, similar to tapping the brake lights when engine decelerating.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It is funny you mention flicking the lights. Today while talking with my wife, who is a new rider (250 miles so far). We were discussing intersections and approaching them as safe as possible. She told me a few days ago when she rode to work that she was afraid a car was going to turn in front of her. She flicked her light back and forth to high beam a few times and slowed down until she got through the intersection. She said the driver was looking at her as she passed.

It may not happen like this every time but there are things we can do to be prepared. I don't want to ride with fear all the time but I am cautious and if it takes me longer to arrive at my destination then so be it. At least I have a better chance of arriving.

I just do not think there is a better rule to live my when you ride than this one.
IF YOU THINK THEY SEE YOU... THEY DON'T

IF YOU THINK THEY WON'T TURN... THEY WILL

IF YOU THINK YOU'RE DRIVING AS DEFENSIVELY AS YOU CAN... YOU'RE NOT

thanks to Father X

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
All great safety ideas, but as has been repetedly stated, if they're not lookin they ain't gonna see ya. I am finally going to take the MSF course and after a years riding, know enuf to know what I don't know which is a lot. I assume that all the cage driving morons out there are aiming at me. In other words, I assume that they do see me and are actively aiming to take me out...so far so good. 8)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't want to say I am on the side who believes "more lights" are the answer, but I also believe that they can help. I think the most important thing is the rider though. When I ride, everyday, whenever there is a possibility of soomeone pulling out in front of me, I think about what I would do if it happened. Everytime, it is just commonplace for me now. That way, if it does happen I have the escape route. It also gives some creative enjoyment and keeps you focused.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts