Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick question. I was looking to buy a new half helmet. Been looking at the Bell DLX drifter helmet. I have tried on numerous helmets, vega, skidlid, etc. Most of my friends have recommended the Bell Drifter. My problem is I do not have a dealer around my area (within 120 miles) to try one on. I have looked at numerous sites online and am thinking about ordering one online. (had rather try one on but to no avail) most sites sizing charts shows me wearing a medium (almost a large). Every helmet I have ever owned has been a large. Was just wondering if anyone owns this helmet, and would recommend just ordering a large or medium. (my hat size is a 7 1/8, with my hair shorter, but I grow it out sometimes). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a quick question. I was looking to buy a new half helmet. Been looking at the Bell DLX drifter helmet. I have tried on numerous helmets, vega, skidlid, etc. Most of my friends have recommended the Bell Drifter. My problem is I do not have a dealer around my area (within 120 miles) to try one on. I have looked at numerous sites online and am thinking about ordering one online. (had rather try one on but to no avail) most sites sizing charts shows me wearing a medium (almost a large). Every helmet I have ever owned has been a large. Was just wondering if anyone owns this helmet, and would recommend just ordering a large or medium. (my hat size is a 7 1/8, with my hair shorter, but I grow it out sometimes). Thanks in advance.

I would find a dealer even if its a good ride every helmet fits different and you may not like. I tried on several half helmets until I decided on a Vega. Make sure you like the adjustable strap on the back the ones I tried on kept digging into my head.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Reviews are for the most part good but story after story of having to return for a different size. I just wouldn't buy a helmet without being able to try them on. That's just me, maybe if it was 120 miles......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned 3 of the Bell Drifter helmets. According to the size charts I should wear an XL but found the XXL fit better in all 3 cases. As others on here stated, always best to try one on before you buy, but in my experience a size larger than the chart seemed to work best. I would not recommend buying the "leather" covered drifter. The "leather" is actually vinyl or "pleather" which did not hold up well. It separates and starts to tear. The first Drifter I owned was the "leather" covered style. It started tearing in less than a year. Bell replaced it with another identical model which also started to lose it's "pleather" in a year. The 3rd drifter I got is a painted helmet which has held up rather well over the last 2 or so years. They are comfortable helmets in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have owned 3 of the Bell Drifter helmets. According to the size charts I should wear an XL but found the XXL fit better in all 3 cases. As others on here stated, always best to try one on before you buy, but in my experience a size larger than the chart seemed to work best. I would not recommend buying the "leather" covered drifter. The "leather" is actually vinyl or "pleather" which did not hold up well. It separates and starts to tear. The first Drifter I owned was the "leather" covered style. It started tearing in less than a year. Bell replaced it with another identical model which also started to lose it's "pleather" in a year. The 3rd drifter I got is a painted helmet which has held up rather well over the last 2 or so years. They are comfortable helmets in my opinion.
:agree: Bought one of the 'leather' covered drifter several yrs ago and the 1st one turned into a sticky goo to the point when you put in on the ground, grass and dirt would stick to it... had a nightmare with customer service but finally got it replaced and the second one started to wear thru on the front lip and edges.
Being a lifetime Bell helmet wearer since the late '60's I was totally done with Bell products and my new helmet choice has been:
The Scorpion EXO100 which I see they upgraded it EXO110 which has vents now... better then the ones we have. I liked the design of the flip down visor for riding in rain, I bought the 1st one for the wife and while we were going thru a rain storm she flipped the visor down and said she was fine... while I was getting peppered with my drifter and knocking rain off my glasses, bought mine after that trip with a clear and yellow replacement visor.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Pretty risky to buy without trying it on.
I wear a Large in a Full Face but my Bell Half Helmet is a Small.

I bought a Helmet online for the Wife.
It was so sloppy on her head that it is nothing more than a Wall Decoration in the garage.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My problem is I do not have a dealer around my area (within 120 miles) to try one on.
Whats the mater with a 240 mile ride?
Sounds like as good a reason as any. And I agree. I would not buy without trying one on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts