Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the '04C in the shop to have a leaky fork seal replaced. Figured as long as they had the tubes off I'd spring (pardon the pun) for a set of Progressives. Unbelieveable how much better the bike handles. No more wallowing over speed bumps and out of dips. This improvement is worth every dollar. Does anyone know if the improvement is as dramatic with the shock upgrade?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree - best money spent. You'll want to replace the shocks next. My Progressive shocks are 11.5". That's not much drop visually, but what a difference! That small drop lowers the bike's center of gravity and made it so much easier to handle. And of course the progressive springs make for a better ride.

I would give it some thought if you want to go lower - the floorboards drag easily on the Retro. Also, for safety, never lower the rear more than the front. I took 1/4" off the spacers on my front springs so the front-rear is equal on my bike.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
eferg said:
I agree - best money spent. You'll want to replace the shocks next. My Progressive shocks are 11.5". That's not much drop visually, but what a difference! That small drop lowers the bike's center of gravity and made it so much easier to handle. And of course the progressive springs make for a better ride.

I would give it some thought if you want to go lower - the floorboards drag easily on the Retro. Also, for safety, never lower the rear more than the front. I took 1/4" off the spacers on my front springs so the axel heights are equal on my bike.

Putting lower shocks on doesn't make the frame lower to the ground, it brings the tire closer to the fender.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
eferg said:
I would give it some thought if you want to go lower - the floorboards drag easily on the Retro. Also, for safety, never lower the rear more than the front. I took 1/4" off the spacers on my front springs so the axel heights are equal on my bike.

Not to intrude but you don't want to lower the front more than the rear, it kills the trail numbers. I have lowered my VTX 1 inch in the front and 2 1/2"s in the rear.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree - best money spent. You'll want to replace the shocks next. My Progressive shocks are 11.5".
Why would you want to lower a bike that's already plenty low enough?
The pegs scrape early enough as it is.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
thundering zephyr said:
I agree - best money spent. You'll want to replace the shocks next. My Progressive shocks are 11.5".
Why would you want to lower a bike that's already plenty low enough?
The pegs scrape early enough as it is.
It wasn't low enough for me but now she is perfect. Lowering a bike, car, truck or whatever is just a part of customizing it is all the owners preferance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
BadX - You're correct. I typed it backwards. You never want the FRONT lower than the rear.

Cool runnins - Ground clearance is affected as well as fender clearance. There are many references on the web regarding ground clearance after installing shorter shocks:

From the Progressive Suspension web site - tech support:
There are ramifications in lowering a bike. Initial ground clearance is affected, the bike is lower to the ground. You have to be aware of that.

And from:http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/lower0106/

Even if you lower your bike by the book, handling can be affected to some degree. "When you lower a bike, you also lower its center of gravity, so it'll handle a bit better in certain circumstances," says Langley. "The negative is that your initial ground clearance is decreased. Things you used to clear, like curbs or speed bumps, might now be a problem."

They go on to say...
Here is the major drawback of lowering your bike. It will no longer lean over as far as it did before, which could get you into trouble when a corner tightens up or you mis-judge its arc or if you simply have to tighten your line to avoid an obstacle.

They conclude:
"The more you lower it, the more ride quality suffers. That's the first thing I tell anyone considering lowering a bike. What I generally recommend is going an inch lower front and rear, so you'll still have enough travel to give [yourself] a good ride. That's a pretty good compromise, but anything over that and you're giving up a good ride."

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK with all this talk of lowering, if I want to go 1" lower front and back, do I go with the Progressive front lowering springs and 11.5 rears?

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Progressive Springs

I have all my stuff on order-front springs and rear shocks. Went with the standard springs in front as several people on the board said the front end looked squatty with it lowered too much. I did opt for the 11" rears as I am very very vertically challenged and needed a bout another inch to feel comfy. I should get my stuff in a few daysI sure hope they make a difference as everyone has mentioned.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Progressive Springs

I have all my stuff on order-front springs and rear shocks. Went with the standard springs in front as several people on the board said the front end looked squatty with it lowered too much. I did opt for the 11" rears as I am very very vertically challenged and needed a bout another inch to feel comfy. I should get my stuff in a few daysI sure hope they make a difference as everyone has mentioned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I agree, the Progressive front springs was the best money spent on my retro, and I have a lot of after market parts on my bike. The ride is so much better. No more nose dive on heavy braking. No more clocking when you go over what seems like a insignificant drop in the road, like a layer of asphalt missing in the road. Not a hole mind you, just a 1 inch drop in the road and I use to get a this clunk from the front end. Same thing going over railroad tracks. I know they are just a set of springs but the front end seems tighter, not as squirrely in rough road conditions. A firmer feel in the handlebars.
I baught the stock replacement size. not the ones that lower the bike.
Further on up the road,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts