Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Most will recommend Honda OEM which I would recommend also.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
OEM give the best service, braking/life and produce far less dust than the aftermarkets.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OEM brake pads. In the past on previous motorcycles I've owned I would try using aftermarket parts to save a few bucks, sometimes things worked out, other times something was a little off. So I've learned instead of being a cheapstake, I just go ahead and spent the extra money for OEM parts. I'm already saving money by doing the work myself instead of taking my bike to a shop.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Then it looks like going back with OEM is the way to go. Unfortunately from I see online two to three times the cost of aftermarket yet I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the feedback!
^^^^What they all said!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Even though all three pad sets can fit in either of the calipers, you will notice that the OEM pads come with thicker lining on the rear set than on the fronts. This is something you will not get on the aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Any experience with what was found to be the best Brake Pads for a 1300 VTX?
Just echo-ing what everyone else has pointed out - Go with OEM pads. I have tried 2 different ater-market pads and found nothing is really better than the Honda OEM brake pads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just echo-ing what everyone else has pointed out - Go with OEM pads. I have tried 2 different ater-market pads and found nothing is really better than the Honda OEM brake pads.
Seems it's unanimous. OEM brake pads are the way to go. I've already ordered mine from local Honda dealer and looking forward to installing them myself, saving $100.! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
On my 1300 VTX best with OEM. tried EBCs, noise and faster wear.
On my Yamaha Royal Star Venture Carbon Lorraine then OEM second Choice
Haven’t tried CLs on X.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When you have apart to install the new pads make sure to clean around the pistons and lube the slide shafts. Most use Simple Green with a tooth brush to clean before pushing the pistons back for the new pads which will be thicker. Cleaning around the pistons will prevent any dirt back into the bores when pushing them in to avoid leaks. 🍻

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, spent some time this afternoon replacing the rear brake pads on my 2006 VTX 1300R. Watched at least four videos and took the best of all four. Was fairly straightforward yet not one of these videos explained what to do when the PAD SPRING and the PAD RETAINER clips fall out, which I can't see won't happen. The pad spring went in pretty easily and stayed there yet the pad retainer is a pain in the butt since it goes in the roof of the caliper and it keep falling down as I attempted to slide the pads it. Also, once they fall out it takes a minute to figure out how they both go back in properly. Finally did figure it out and everything went together from there and brakes are working perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts