Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to buy oil and a filter? I know the Hondar dealer up the street will lube me up and have their way with me if I buy it there. Any other Idears, can I just go to any autoparts store? Whats the best type and brand??

H

·
0 Posts
We sell the Honda oil filters for $7 which is virtually at cost from Honda. But if you really just want the cheapest here it is:

Wal-Mart for about $2.09

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Hal, love the board. Is there any difference between yours and the ones at Wally world (walmart)?

I would buy from you but I want to do it this weekend.

H

·
0 Posts
Is there any difference between yours and the ones at Wally world (walmart)?
Well thats the $5 question isn't it? ($7 versus $2) Oil filters fit into the category of motor oil and tires. Everybody has a different opinion and people have actually come pretty close to a fight over which is the best.

I personally am a non-believer and use what is close by. Last weekend I had to change the oil in my VTX1300 and thought I had some Honda oil in my garage. Unfortunately all I had was one quart of Honda GN4 oil, two quarts of Shell Rotella and one quart of Mobil One synthetic. So I went with what was at hand. Bike shifts much better now but I don't know which oil to heap the praises on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hal, I think I will try maybe semi synthetic. I had it for a while on my X that was stolen and I liked it.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Is there any difference between yours and the ones at Wally world (walmart)?
Well thats the $5 question isn't it? ($7 versus $2) Oil filters fit into the category of motor oil and tires. Everybody has a different opinion and people have actually come pretty close to a fight over which is the best.

I personally am a non-believer and use what is close by. Last weekend I had to change the oil in my VTX1300 and thought I had some Honda oil in my garage. Unfortunately all I had was one quart of Honda GN4 oil, two quarts of Shell Rotella and one quart of Mobil One synthetic. So I went with what was at hand. Bike shifts much better now but I don't know which oil to heap the praises on.
That could be an item...Hal's Custom Blended Motor Oil.. :wink:

·
Registered
686 Posts
We sell the Honda oil filters for $7 which is virtually at cost from Honda. But if you really just want the cheapest here it is:

Wal-Mart for about $2.09

Holy Sh*t Thats the same filter my 2004 Hyundai Elantra takes

·
Registered
271 Posts
cheap oil filter

wonder if 5 bucks is worth engine problems??? :?

H

·
0 Posts
wonder if 5 bucks is worth engine problems???
You are about to enter the "Double Jeopardy" game except there is no correct answer. Just half-baked facts, rumors, innuendo and fear.

So buy the one you want and promise to not try and influence anyone else. All it might get you is a very long thread and we don't really want to read all that do we? Especially about oil and filters.

Oh what the heck go ahead and post away.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I had was one quart of Honda GN4 oil, two quarts of Shell Rotella and one quart of Mobil One synthetic. So I went with what was at hand.
Good to know I not the only one that does that..

Not in my bike of course!, but in the truck and car yea! But Hal, not in the bike! Gawd what are you thinking man!

Truthfully, I use my old synthetic bike oil for the lawn mower, really it starts better, cuts and shifts better! OK, it might not shift better... lol

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Well Honda Oil Filter and Amsoil :D Only Way I Go :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
All I know is I just paid $14.99 for a filter at the stealership today. Farkin unbelievable. I think my next order at HDL I am going to order a few extras to have on hand.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Monstermile said:
All I know is I just paid $14.99 for a filter at the stealership today. Farkin unbelievable. I think my next order at HDL I am going to order a few extras to have on hand.
Yup, I alway throw in a couple, have 6 in the garage right now...

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Do you guys realize what just happened? A Honda Dealer essentially reconmended WalMart for a similiar product! Now that is integrity. Hal, you have my business!

Joe T.
Beautiful Downtown Newhall, California
The only state with the 3 strikes law!!!

BTW,

I have been told (by Dreamer) that my $100 gift certificate (from HDL) for Bumper at her auction in Tucson sold for $150! Way to go, whomever bought it!!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Hal, quick question: I have been told that a Gold Wing filter will work on the VTX and will allow a full 4 quarts of oil (instead of the 3.9 quarts). Is that true? If so, what is the P/N?

Thanks.
Joe T.

H

·
0 Posts
But Hal, not in the bike! Gawd what are you thinking man!
I do not wish to discriminate against any particular dinosaur. I treat them all the same.

Hal, quick question: I have been told that a Gold Wing filter will work on the VTX and will allow a full 4 quarts of oil (instead of the 3.9 quarts). Is that true? If so, what is the P/N?
I did not recommend anything. Someone asked for a cheap oil filter and I give them the answer to that question. The photo at the top of this thread is the oil filter in question. Wasn't it big enough for you? LOL.

How much oil is 1/10th of a quart? All I can say is that the Wal-Mart filter and the Honda filter have the same size outer shell. Would I use the Wal-Mart filter? Probably not as I am not a huge fan of their stores. I just find them very dirty and disorganized and most of the stuff looks like it was picked thru. And have you ever had a Wal-Mart employee ask you if they could help you? I usually find them running the other direction if they see me coming. My apologies to any Wal-mart employees but that is my perception.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
get the Honda filters from HDL...when u make a purchase over $100 shipping is free so throw in some filters when you make a big order..cant beat the price. :twisted:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a walmart one, then decided to buy the Honda filter. Even though it was over 15 dollars I am telling myself it makes a difference. Also, the mile long return line in walmart has made me decide it is not worth my time to return the crap filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts