Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been out of touch with the forum due to the vicissitudes of life. Now that my 2006 1800 r/s clutch has died , my question is in 2020 is there a clear winner between mtc vs barnett? Years ago people would say use the mtc clutch but Barnett springs etc. Also, do anyone know of a YouTube diy video that thoroughly explains changing the entire clutch system? Thanks and i hope all is well with everyone family.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
No significant difference...,but in most cases clutch plates are still good, so you don't really need a clutch kit, just new (better) springs.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ervin is correct, most times it is just the springs. Why Honda used marginally capable springs with a hyd. actuator is not to be understood. However, if the bike has some real mileage on it you may want to also change the fiber (friction) plates. I would use either MTC or Barnett and never worry of it.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Unless the steels are blued, you'll only need fiber disks and springs at best. If you keep the OEM steels, make sure you scuff them to give the new fibers something to seat to.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here's How To change the clutch;
Gravy money.
its that easy.
I will be doing mine.
No slippage , just because.:)
"Barea$$" for sure,
And this lad....Good luck

vvv

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've had an MTC kit in my 2004 for about 70,000 miles, and I'm not gentle with it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 1800r just started slipping the clutch after bumping the power a little. Frictions and steels were fine with only @24,000 miles on them. A new set of Barnett springs and she's GTG. Pretty sure I spent more time cleaning/scraping/prepping the mating surfaces than actually turning wrenches. Easy job made easier with the .bareasschoppers instructions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts