Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 days ago riding my bike East bound, coming over a slight curved hill toward intersection that shows a green light for me. My side of the road has 3 lanes going straight and 2 lanes to make a left on green arrow, which happens to be red, and there is no traffic in front of me and it usually takes 3 seconds when I see the light and to drive through at 40 mph and I usually take the far right lane. Since there was no traffic in front of me, a 2019 Chevy Express van waiting to make a left turn, wanted to make a right turn and thinks its clear does so across 3 lanes. Van has no back windows and he can only see what's to his right through the side mirror. Needless to say, all I could do is put on the brakes and hope I don't T-bone him with my bike, as you know how that would turn out. As it was, my bike slowed but my front tire finally lost traction at about 15 mph and my bike and I slid to the street without me still attached to it. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. 1st time was 6 years ago with a SUV coming out from a side street from my right, but my reaction was the same with me grabbing brakes and finally hitting the street when my front wheel locked up. That time I ended up with a broken arm and some money in the bank. Of course insurance totaled the bike.

This time I ended up with a Tibial fracture in my left leg. Prognosis in the ER would be that I would need surgery, but after going to the pediatric doctor at Kaiser, he gave me a knee brace and told not to put any weight on that leg foe 3 months and I may not need surgery if I keep off it.

Now after all that, lets get to my bike, it has only cosmetic damage. Windshield, turn signal, slight scrape on headlight cover, saddlebag. But the tank is that classic black with flames paint job and you can see in the picture it has that round slight dent and the paint is all scrapped. BikeBandit.com can order a unpainted tank for a little over $3,000, so you know I'm not going that route. Insurance company would total it for sure.

I don't care about the dent as it's just indented a bit. Figure an artist could paint something artistic there to cover it up, and maybe the other side too. Happy face anyone 馃槃?

So let's hear some ideas on how to work that tank?

Attachments

Registered
Not sure of your location, but PDR can probably handle that. This guy is really good:

I am sending my tank to him, while I have a new tank, they are getting harder to find, so he is going to repair my damaged tank and I will keep as a spare. My dent is far worse than yours and he thinks he can remove it with glue pulls and heat. I have seen a bunch of his videos on worse than mine tank and the guy does great work.

here is my damage:

Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Registered
Looks like you have a later model C with the updated dash that matches the F dash design (pointed at the bottom instead of rounded).

I can tell you from my recent experience, that tank is near impossible to find. The S/R/N and pre 2006 C tanks are in high supply all over ebay for a used tank all uNader $1,000. But the F and later model C tank is near impossible to find.

If you don鈥檛 mind an older C tank and swapping out the newer dash for the older style you might get lucky, but I鈥檓 not sure if those have the external or internal fuel pump.

I got lucky and found a Black 2005 F tank from a totaled bike that was rear ended and the tank was untouched but it was exactly that blind luck.

You might check the Facebook VTX parts group, lots of parts being posted there, so far I鈥檝e had good luck with the members and not gotten burned.

Registered
Ok I have no clue how reliable these guys are, they are in Europe, But they make reproduction decals for the VTX.
this looks like your color setup:

Registered
That PDR guy is in GA. He estimated my repair between $500 and $750.

only way to know is to call him and send him pictures.

there is another guy in Santa Maria CA. That is supposed to be really good as well. I will dig up his number in the morning.

Registered
This statement is no reflection on what anyone here does, but I'm somewhat relaxed about dents and scratches.

If that was my tank/dent, I'd shoot a spritz of clear on it, and continue riding. Come winter, the tank would come off, and I would repair it myself.

Stud gun, pull the dent out , repaint the area. A friend has a small paint shop and he's done a few of these and blends the repair into the rest.

Registered
How much does he charge? I want an alternative to submit to the insurance companies, his and mine, so they don't try the totaled BS.
Daniel Groom 707-542-3368
MotoPDR

this guy is supposed to be the best in the country at PDR for motorcycle tanks

Registered
Reactions: rangers4u

Registered

Registered
I could drive there if I wanted to, so good to know. When the insurance company comes up with their estimate, I'll have some ammunition to fire back with.

I just went through this, the new tank as you know is >$3,000 this would have totaled my bike with the other things that have to be replace, while they only add up to about $1,500 the tank pushes it over the 70% of value mark. if PDR can repair yours for under $1,000 with paint then you won't get totaled.

I lucked out and found a new "F" tank on FB for $930, received it a few days ago, the guy had the same issue, his insurance bought the tank for him 4 years ago, I'm guessing when the prices were lower. he used the Georgia PDR guy, and is the one that recommended to me. He sold me the tank he had sitting on his shelf for 4 years because I put up an WTB request on the FB VTX parts group.

I really lucked out, I am sending my tank to the one of these guys, haven't decided which yet, as I am waiting for the estimate from the Santa Maria guy, I am going to pay out of pocket to repair my tank and keep it as a spare.. I suspect it will only get harder and more expensive to find a tank going forward.

I also lucked out and got a set of decent forward controls (not OEM), however I am now looking for a shop that can assist with making some type of adapter plate so that in the future I can use Honda Fury or even Yamaha or Kawasaki controls, as VTX after market forward controls are impossible to find.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the dealership and took pictures of the tank and emailed them to Santa Rosa. He responded back that he is sorry, but he doesn't paint. The dent is so slight I had to respond back that I needed an estimate for fixing the dent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MotoPDR never responded back after I sent 2 additional emails asking an estimate.

I stopped at the Honda dealership and told them to forget about the insurance company and I will just pay to replace the turn signal and front trim piece of the headlight cover and submit for reimbursement. Afterwards he can deliver my bike as I am within walking distance to them.

Now I have to find a shop that can do the tank and fender including touch-up painting to match the original that is close to Simi Valley, CA. I am not to put weight on my left leg for three months so I can't ride it to get repaired and I'm the only rider in my household. Going to be tough if I can't ride it to different shops so the can actually what is needed.

Registered
MotoPDR never responded back after I sent 2 additional emails asking an estimate.

I stopped at the Honda dealership and told them to forget about the insurance company and I will just pay to replace the turn signal and front trim piece of the headlight cover and submit for reimbursement. Afterwards he can deliver my bike as I am within walking distance to them.

Now I have to find a shop that can do the tank and fender including touch-up painting to match the original that is close to Simi Valley, CA. I am not to put weight on my left leg for three months so I can't ride it to get repaired and I'm the only rider in my household. Going to be tough if I can't ride it to different shops so the can actually what is needed.
that's too bad about MotoPDR. I haven't sent my photos to him, I am likely using the guy in GA, he has been very responsive, he only recommended MotoPDR due to the cost to ship the tank to GA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts