Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
that's too bad about MotoPDR. I haven't sent my photos to him, I am likely using the guy in GA, he has been very responsive, he only recommended MotoPDR due to the cost to ship the tank to GA.
If you ship the tank anywhere make sure you get insurance to the amount it would cost to get a new tank. And don't lose your receipt. Even with insurance I've been told it is very hard to get the USPS to pay if they lose your tank or whatever you have shipped. I really hope whoever you ship it with does not lose it but insurance is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If you ship the tank anywhere make sure you get insurance to the amount it would cost to get a new tank. And don't lose your receipt. Even with insurance I've been told it is very hard to get the USPS to pay if they lose your tank or whatever you have shipped. I really hope whoever you ship it with does not lose it but insurance is your best bet.
100%. I will ship via FedEx,, I have a corporate account and it is significantly less than shipping via a consumer account. the guy I got my replacement tank from was quoted $265 from Houston to CA at his local FedEx store, I called the store he was at and gave them my corp. account number and the rate dropped to $145 with $3K insurance.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
84 Posts
100%. I will ship via FedEx,, I have a corporate account and it is significantly less than shipping via a consumer account. they guy I got my replacement tank from was quoted $265 from Houston to CA at his local FedEx store, I called the store he was at and gave them my corp. account number and the rate dropped to $145 with $3K insurance.
Wow, that's a huge difference $120 cheaper, wow

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Wow, that's a huge difference $120 cheaper, wow
We ship a something like $5 million a year through FedEx, Corp discount is huge when you spend that much money with them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Wow that is a lot of money on shipping. So I do understand the discount. Not VTX related but what business are you in?
I’m a CIO for a luxury clothing line manufacturer and retailer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Talked to the insurance guy who estimated the repair cost for my bike, and at first I wasn't too happy as the repair bill came to $4,736.42., the front fender with a slight scratch on the edge was $961.17. I've looked at what the VTX1800 is selling for and I thought they would total the bike, and I complained to the insurance guy. But now I am happy, as they are sending me the check for the that entire amount payable to me, and so now I am dictating what gets repaired or replaced, and I keep the difference. So stopped at the Dealership, nixed the fender, the left mirror, and clutch master cylinder as they were being replaced because of slight scratches. I will pick out and buy the saddlebags, and Windshield. The tank will be removed and sent out and only the Flame decals for the left side will be done instead of the whole tank. Shoot, they were going to replace all instead of just the damaged part. The Footrest bracket seemed not right, but they are replacing that, but they had listed L Frt Footrest for 16.19, and I wonder what that is about since I don't have stock footrests, and the ones I have are more expensive then that, as I purchased them used from one of the guys in this blog, so will have another talk at the dealership about that.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts