Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 34 years of riding mostly sports bikes (FZR600R, NC30, NC24, YZF750SP, five fireblades) some dirt bikes on the road and a couple of “others” (TDM900, and most recently an Aprilia shiver 750) I decided it was time to not compete in the traffic light Grand Prix and take a more relaxed riding style. As I’m turning 50 in two weeks my good lady wife has decided to buy me a new bike.

I considered an vx1600 but the only decent one I saw was a US import and had no way of checking if the recalls had been done, and if they hadn’t my dealer said their was no way for them to claim from Yamaha UK for a US bike to cover the work. I looked at a Suzuki Boulevard 1500 (c90t) - poor tank range and too old school despite being fuel injected. Kawasaki - didn’t flick my switch.

Honda VTX - Honda reliability and good looks so I travelled 3 hours to look at a 2004 vtx1300s with some farkles. All being well I’m picking it up on 8th May.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Blimey.....Congrats....enjoy and be safe

Reactions: Wildcard996

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Yes the VTX motorcycles are nice!
Clean and lube the Starter Switch. When grease gets old things heat up.
Blame it on the 5 amps the headlight demands.
Clean & Lube the shifter pedal pivot bolt.
Now and then a wire will break off of the ICM (Ign Control Module).
Another 1 inch of wire could have prevented that. Loop some tape around the cable
and the ends of the tape on Top and bottom of the ICM.
Enjoy the ride it is a good platform.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I travelled 3 hours to look at a 2004 vtx1300s with some farkles. All being well I’m picking it up on 8th May.
Quick story:
I had looked at the VTX1300 a few years ago and loved the look, not to mention the reliability. 3 months ago I decided to pull the trigger. Started the search for these bikes in the NY/Long Island area. Craigslist had 2! 2? in an area of10 million people? Kept looking and in March a beautiful 1300C came up, had everything I wanted, maintained etc.... and guess what? The guy lives a half mile away. Anyway I ended up buying it. Test ride had ZERO rear brakes, just nothing there. Bargained a few hundred off and the brakes were just a bleed job anyway. I would have driven 3 hours as well but the stars aligned for me this time. Good luck

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hopefully everything will go well and you will acquire her. You will love the VTX. Great bikes.
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was due to pick the bike up today but was greeted with the news that the train operator had grounded* all of the trains due to structural issues with suspension issues, which is not great news. Plus after a week of fair weather and sun it was wetter than an otters pocket in Blighty, so it’s MOT’d, taxed, insured, serviced, and ready to roll - it’s just 100+ miles away!

Rebooked collection for next Saturday.

https://flic.kr/p/2kXr3Xs
*not sure you can ground trains but the same principle applies - they’re all busted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts