Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question. When I picked up my new 04 1300 retro from the dealter a mechanic there told me never to use premium gas in the VTX 1300. To always use only regualr gasoline. The owners manual only says to use a minimum 86 octane. I have always used premium in my other bikes. Is this for real? Why only low grade cheap gas? Any one else get this advice?
Thanks!
Jim Munsey

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is no advantages in running premium gas in a lower compression engine. In fact several mechanics told me the the only problems they encountered from the 1300's were when people ran premium gas they tended to foul plugs more often.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Most folks are very happy running 97 octane. THis low compression engine
should not require higher grades. I started out with premium and actually
got better mileage when I switched to regular, at the advice of the riders
on this board. For the last year and a half, I've burned nothing but 97
octane.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
jwhok

jwhok:

Did you mean 87 instead of 97?

Eddie

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was recently having problems with my bike and decel pops and jerking. It was running real ruff. I called the dealer and they said I should just run 87 or 89 instead of the high octane I was running. I drained the tank, I had just filled up, and put some 87 in and it ran like a champ. I would have never believed that the gas octane could make that much of a difference. Do a search on octane and you will find some posts about the subject.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too always thought what brand of gas you should made a differences until one day I observed a fuel truck filling tanks at a Pit and Pump station and driving across the street and start filling up the Shell tanks. Made me wonder if I should go cheap or get away from name brand gas. Even though I still unless I am in desperate need of gas still tank up with name brand gas,(Citgo,BP,Shell,Texaco,Exxon,etc.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hondadavidson, you WILL have fuel related problems by doing that. There is NO difference in mileage between the two. There must have been other differences. This bike can vary a tremendous amount tank to tank if you drive it more in town or harder on the throttle. I have gotten as much as 54mpg and as low as 35 (always using 87 octane). Higher octane will not burn properly in the absence of higher compression than our bikes have.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
87 seems to run best. Believe it or not...I get much better milage with 87 and the bike seems to run better. Just my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gas octane

I think I started this thread and appreciate all the feedback. The problem I always ran into was that everyone tells me to use premium in my HD but 87 in my wifes VTX 1300. Since we nearly always ride together it was a pain filling up two bikes with different octane gas. I do think the VTX runs better on the lower octane and everyone seems to back me up on this. I really don't see much difference in the octane on My Softail. I have some friends that refuse to put anything but premium in their HD's. I am not that picky.

I compromised! These days when I have to gas up the wife's VTX and my HD I just use the 89 octane. Every once in a while when I get loose and just gas the HD I spring for the premium.

Jim

·
Registered
714 Posts
this octane thread like previous multitude of octane threads always starts with the assumption by the poster that low octane gas is not on par quality-wise with the higher octane, often called premium, i assume its premium because if its called that it makes it easier for consumers to choke down the higher price. falsly believing the primium is more powerful and pure and whatever other bull the industry would have you believe to keep you buying there higher priced fuels. industry always pushes there product line with the highest margin of profit a little harder than the other.

this is another topic that should be sticky to the top of the list. comes up almost weekly as it is.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As with any other vehicle out there, ignore the manual and the 'rules' and what every other person tells you is the right fuel. If your engine pings or knocks on hills switch to a higher octane. Pinging is that rattling sound the engine makes when it is under fairly heavy load at lower rpms.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well no intention to take sides, But I was one of those who use to run only 87 octane’s, I don’t know why but my mileage decrease last summer from 140 to 120 MPG (+/-), I was told this is because they start to use more ethanol mixed, so I switch to Premium and now I get up to 160 from the full gas tank, no pinging, no popping, nothing wrong apparently.
Since I pay attention to all the advices here I check once a month my plugs, so far they look pretty clean and no problems.
My Bike is totally stock, I always wonder what other problems could get using premium but seems that fouled plugs is the only problem.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts