Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
i am stayin out of the octane wars forever! i will state a theory though. when any of my machines are running really well, i tend to really get heavy on the throttle(s) just 'cause it feels good. subsequently my milage will go down! runnin twisties like a mad man with 2 up tonight the VTX (black of course) got 50+ mpg. you'll have to guess the octane but i will say that chevron and shell seem to be consistantly good fuels.

G

·
Every bike is differant, and they all run differant, just like cars.
Why does anyone care if someone want to run high octane?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My main concern was any detrimental affect of running too high of an octane in the Honda VTX 1300. One dealer mechanic told me it was not good for the VTX to run high octane yet high octane is recommended for most Harley's. I have since compromised and just fill both up with 89 when we are together.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
jmunsey said:
My main concern was any detrimental affect of running too high of an octane in the Honda VTX 1300. One dealer mechanic told me it was not good for the VTX to run high octane yet high octane is recommended for most Harley's. I have since compromised and just fill both up with 89 when we are together.
Just curious....why do you have to run the same thing????
Can't you fill yours with whatever...and hers with 93 (if thats what she needs) ????
Or are you trying to save credit card swipes.
Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
64,332 Posts
wayne said:
Every bike is differant, and they all run differant, just like cars.
Why does anyone care if someone want to run high octane?
It's not so much of trying to beat someone into submission. It's more arming people with facts, a lot of people are told to that they MUST use Premium fuel when that is just not true. If a dealer tells someone that they must use Premium, then that person generally thinks "He's the dealer and sells these things, he must know" . As we know, dealers DON"T know what type of fuel this bike needs to run properly, so we on the board enlighten them to the fact that you CAN run the lowest grade fuel and these bike typically run much better on the lowest octane. The 1800 guys actually have done a couple of seperate tests on dynos with the same bike and on several bikes with regular and Premium. The bikes that had the Premium all made poorer numbers on the dyno runs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
more miles on lower

I was getting 38-39mpg when i filled up twice with the high octane. Than this weekend i filled up with the cheap stuff and i got 47mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"Just curious....why do you have to run the same thing????
Can't you fill yours with whatever...and hers with 93 (if thats what she needs) ????
Or are you trying to save credit card swipes.
Inquiring minds want to know. "

Yep!!!! That was it. I found it a real pain to have to swipe twice and switch hoses and all. I appreciate all the feedback here. I never really liked always using premium on my bikes but somehow felt huilty not doing so. My HD seems to run just fine on 87 as well although I have some friends that will pass a pump up and darn nrear run out of gas to get to the next station that has premium. The wifes VTX did seem to run a little better on 87 than premium. She even noticed the difference.

Besides.....when you grab that premium pump and pay the extra money...how do you really know that the last time that gas stattion tank got filled up, they really used premium???

Jim

·
Registered
420 Posts
winddance said:
As with any other vehicle out there, ignore the manual and the 'rules' and what every other person tells you is the right fuel. If your engine pings or knocks on hills switch to a higher octane. Pinging is that rattling sound the engine makes when it is under fairly heavy load at lower rpms.
WOW: I think you people are finally getting it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Doesn't compression ratio determine which fuel to use? If a bike has a lower compression ratio isn't it designed to use regular? I have a friend with a higher ratio Victory and he has to use premium or his bike will ping.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've found that my VTX run great on diesel fuel. Really eliminates that knocking sound from the engine. :roll:

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Octane & Ethanol

The mechanic at my dealer says to run mid grade. I am a why person so I asked. He said it seems to be cleaner. Honda states use 86 = regular. So I am like many others and ask who knows best? I go with regular. I tried it all. My mileage varies so much I gave up, too many factors such as my wrist, tire pressure, wind, my load, etc. I would trust a dyno test. I have noticed on a regular basis that the ethanol blend does drop mileage. The research I have read also so states. When I have found non ethanol fuel my mileage increase is noticed. I did experience from a tank of fuel from a Kroger related store in Pueblo Colorado a very alcohol smell coming for my tank on the filling. As soon as I hit I-25 my 1300 topped out at 80mph indicated (we know they are at least 4% off). I have never experienced this power loss even at 10,000 ft going up hill. I would like to know the ethanol content.

I have read a lot about the grades of fuel and brands. For the most part the higher grades of brand names may, may, have more additives for what ever they decide they are for. Also for the most part the research said name brands are a little less likely to over dose on the ethanol. Some brands will add more ethanol to up the octane, bad s..t! Some states allow the 10% ethanol to be 5% over = 15%. Also since mid and premium are used less there is a greater chance of those two sitting in the cool dark underground tanks longer thus being old fuel = breaking down fuel. Remember ethanol enriched fuel does not store so well.

Now as for Canada I do not know how the independent tests were done but I read that for Shell and Beaver gasoline in Canada the regular has 10% ethanol with premium having zero so midrange has 5%. The independent source said he has not tested other brands yet.

Remember, all of the gasoline produced by refineries is in a big pot then the individual companies buy it and add their own chemicals. The ethanol gets dumped in at some point. So the "off brands" buy their fuel from the lowest bidder so they my be using brand X, Y, or Z with or without the "special" additives. When buying fuel it is advised to always use a station that sells a lot of fuel so the fuel is used up before the ethanol turns it to crap.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The mechanic at my dealer says to run mid grade. I am a why person so I asked. He said it seems to be cleaner. Honda states use 86 = regular. So I am like many others and ask who knows best? I go with regular. I tried it all. My mileage varies so much I gave up, too many factors such as my wrist, tire pressure, wind, my load, etc. I would trust a dyno test. I have noticed on a regular basis that the ethanol blend does drop mileage. The research I have read also so states. When I have found non ethanol fuel my mileage increase is noticed. I did experience from a tank of fuel from a Kroger related store in Pueblo Colorado a very alcohol smell coming for my tank on the filling. As soon as I hit I-25 my 1300 topped out at 80mph indicated (we know they are at least 4% off). I have never experienced this power loss even at 10,000 ft going up hill. I would like to know the ethanol content.

I have read a lot about the grades of fuel and brands. For the most part the higher grades of brand names may, may, have more additives for what ever they decide they are for. Also for the most part the research said name brands are a little less likely to over dose on the ethanol. Some brands will add more ethanol to up the octane, bad s..t! Some states allow the 10% ethanol to be 5% over = 15%. Also since mid and premium are used less there is a greater chance of those two sitting in the cool dark underground tanks longer thus being old fuel = breaking down fuel. Remember ethanol enriched fuel does not store so well.

Now as for Canada I do not know how the independent tests were done but I read that for Shell and Beaver gasoline in Canada the regular has 10% ethanol with premium having zero so midrange has 5%. The independent source said he has not tested other brands yet.

Remember, all of the gasoline produced by refineries is in a big pot then the individual companies buy it and add their own chemicals. The ethanol gets dumped in at some point. So the "off brands" buy their fuel from the lowest bidder so they my be using brand X, Y, or Z with or without the "special" additives. When buying fuel it is advised to always use a station that sells a lot of fuel so the fuel is used up before the ethanol turns it to crap.
Awesome info. I always try to use Shell 87 octane. Never gave much thought about which station to use based on how much turnover they have.
BTW this thread is from 2006:shock:
The thing that screws me up is peoples pics etc change with thier current info and will change to what it is now even if it is old.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Awesome info. I always try to use Shell 87 octane. Never gave much thought about which station to use based on how much turnover they have.
BTW this thread is from 2006:shock:
The thing that screws me up is peoples pics etc change with thier current info and will change to what it is now even if it is old.
Try 2004.....:shock::shock::shock:

·
Registered
97 Posts
These octane talks get way overboard, if your foulin' plugs your probably luggin', I never operate my '04 1300 under 3000 rpm. If ya ain't got a tach, get 1 ! I never shift to 5th at less than 63 mph, that's where mine hits 3k in 4th on my "Barons" tach.

I change my tires every 10k and their not wore out, just to let ya know how I drive the machine. Got over 45k miles on her and have yet to figure any gas mileage, I didn't buy the dang thang to save money. I fill 'er up every 100 miles with highest octane at the pump where I'm stopped, generally a name brand station.

I don't ride 'er hard or all that fast, but I do keep her rev'ed and ready, my motto is: "fill 'er with high, and let 'er fly". 5 sets of tires 100's of gallons of gas and absolutely no fuel or engine problems of any manner.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
wish I had a nickel for everytime this octane argument comes up...I saved this from the first time I wrote it back in '06...

michael7276 said:
This topic has been argued many times. But the botton line is, 93 Octane is not necessary for the "X".
High-octane fuels are designed to be RESISTANT TO DETONATION (hear this...i.e. LESS EXPLOSIVE) So as not to knock or ping (pre-ignite). When gasoline (or any fuel) is put under compression, it will heat up. If the compression is high enough (perhaps 10:1 or greater), low octane fuels will detonate just from the heat build up of the compression, (such is the case with a diesel engine...the air only intake of a diesel will heat up under maybe extremely high compression and the fuel is then injected into the cylinder head causing ignition). If the octane of the fuel is high enough to resist detonation and the heat build up of compression, then it will detonate at the proper time when the plugs fire.

It is impossible to increase power or mileage using 93 octane fuel. You are not doing your "X" a favor by using high-octane fuel. You are not giving your "X" MORE POWER (ala Tim "the tool man" Taylor). The compression on the "X" is not high enough to merit using 93-octane fuel. It's a waste of money and you may have some carbon build up from long term use of 93.
Some on the board say they have noticed an increase in power and mileage using 93. Well, during medical testing for new drugs, some of the 'patients' claim to have noticed an improvement in symptoms when they have only been given a sugar pill, (also known as the placebo effect). If I buy even a piece of chrome for my bike and I BELIEVE THAT IT WILL INCREASE PERFORMANCE, I WILL PROBABLY NOTICE AN INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE...funny how that works...I swear my bike runs like a bank robber running from the law after I wash and wax it!!!
Maybe one of these days I'll learn to stay away from these argumentative topics! ehhhhh...probably not!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 2005 vtx 1300 this week and forgot to ask what octane fuel to run. Thought I'd check in here and see what you guys think. This is a good thread. Reading many different thoughts on fuel requirements. From what I have read, I will be using low ocatne until something happens to cause me to switch. I don't expect that to happen.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Just bought my 2005 vtx 1300 this week and forgot to ask what octane fuel to run. Thought I'd check in here and see what you guys think. This is a good thread. Reading many different thoughts on fuel requirements. From what I have read, I will be using low ocatne until something happens to cause me to switch. I don't expect that to happen.
Welcome to the board. You have resurrected a 7year old thread. Not a record here but you had to go digging for this one.:laugh:
This one might have been best left in the archives.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts