Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have 11000 miles on my 05 1300R, looking for opinions on best tires for replacements. Radials vrs Bias Ply? Brands? etc.... Thanks in advance..Darrell

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
As far as I know - nobody makes the rear (170/80-15) in radials so you are limited to bias ply.

You have that same weird sized front tire as the S, (140/80-17), and I believe the only one who makes that size is Dunlop.

So on the front your choices are Dunlop and Dunlop.

For the rear though - you can go with and Avon, Metz, or whatever other makes are listed for the stock C rear.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =352159183

·
Registered
75 Posts
Avon Venum X AM41/AM42

I agree w/Navigator... Avons are the best replacement tire. In my opinion, you did extremely well getting 11,000 miles out of your OEM Tire. I tried replacing the Original Dunlop with a Dunlop D404 (I think). I got 7,500 out of the OEM, and only 3,500 out of the Replacement Dunlop. The Dunny was inexpensive, but, you get what you pay for. Currently, I have about 5,000 miles on my Avon Venum and a couple thousand miles remaining. I will go Avon next time!!!
Best place I've found is [www.motorcycleproshop.com]. You can get the Rear for $115.00 (BW), or $156.44 (WWW), Front $79.00 (BW 110/90H19), or $96.00 (WWW 100/90H19)... Also, the Rear has a lot wider looking profile, almost looks like a 200, even though it is a 170/80HB15. I noticed the shipping weight of the Dunlop 170/80HB15 was 16lbs, where the Avon is 20lbs for the same size tire. I felt there was something to that, and the mileage I'm getting out of the Avon has proven me right... Go Avon Venum, looks GREAT!!!

p.s.-Check Navigator's Website also, they offer free shipping for 2 or more tires, if you want to order your front at the same time...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ronayers.com has best prices I've seen so far. I've got to get replacements again myself.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just a quick and appropriate question...
Did you try HAL's prices? Click that red box at the top of this page.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, I have been looking at the Avon Venoms and those are what I am going with on the rear, My front has uneven wear just as some of you have posted on the left side about 2/10s more than the right side. Has anyone got a good explanation for this? Next question, what would be the result of running a "rear" tire on the front of the appropriate size?

D

·
0 Posts
I replaced my rear with a Metzler at around 8400 miles. Seems to handle better and be a bit stikier than the Dunlop. Had to go with the Dunlop on the front - no choice due to odd size as mentioned.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just had an idea why the tire may wear more on the left then the right.

Everyone complains that their bikes pulls to the right when they let go, and mine even does with the HKs a little bit to. Well maybe when we ride, we are slightly leaned to the left (without knowing) to compensate for the pulling to the right.

Maybe?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered the Venom AM 42, 109.00 bucks from Americanmototire, HDL didn't have this one only the radial and I could not find a radial for the front. Had to go back to the standard Dunny like you guys posted. Thanks for the all the responses.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
if you guys do a search on uneven tire wear, you will find hundreds of post on it.
road crown is the cause of left side tire wear. if you dont beleive me, as any UK riders and they will tell you the right side of theirs wears faster.
its not just a VTX thing, all bikes do it.

side note: I also beleive that intersections cornering plays a part in it, since you apply more side pressure to the tire in a left turn than a right turn.

also, getting more miles out of a tire does not mean it "better". it means its harder. softer tires gives you more traction and wear faster.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Whatever the reason for left side tire wear....bottom line (for me) is that it's nothing out of the ordinary for these bikes. I just put a new Avon on the front and fully expect that to wear on the left too. When its worn, I'll replace it. Nothing to lose sleep over :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's a shame that we couldn't just switch the front tire around on the rim. Could probably get a few more miles out of it. I'm coming up on 8,000 miles and I need to start looking for a new one. The back one isn't looking so good either.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I got 10,000 out of the stockers. Went with Metzlers front and back, they feel more sticky then the dunlops and do very well in the rain.

X13

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I can't agree to the crown of the road causing wear on one side.
I have had motorcycles all my life and the VTX is the only one that I ever had a problem with. My left side of my tires are about gone and the right side looks great.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is it bad that my rear tire looks about half way worn down at 1100 miles? Haha yea I like my X.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts