Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I'm planning on making my first roadtrip of the year in mid-May...I'm thinking of just a small weekend trip from Denver to Moab, UT to Salt Lake City, UT to Casper, WY and then back to Denver. I Googled "motorcycle roadtrip planners" and looked at MapQuest, MapPoint, etc...but none of them really gave me a warm fuzzy.
So I came here...

If you have a site you personally like to use, give 'em a shout out and tell us what makes them so great, {IN YOUR OPINION}

The criteria I'm using to judge a "good" site are:

1) The ability to add intermediate stops between starting point and destination and have the website consider them as part of the route (calculate mileage to them)

2) Suggestions for places to see along the way: scenic spots, museums, etc

3) Ability to add/highlight/annotate hospitals, hotels, bike dealers/garages, etc to the route

4) Ability to print it out so that it can be folded and either slipped into the pocket on my leathers or in my jacket..something smaller than 8x10 pieces of paper

I'm not opposed to paying for a membership (Ex: Honda Red Rider, AAA, some insurance company, etc)...I just want the best.

Peace,

MILF Rider

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
MILF Rider said:
Hey all...I'm planning on making my first roadtrip of the year in mid-May...I'm thinking of just a small weekend trip from Denver to Moab, UT to Salt Lake City, UT to Casper, WY and then back to Denver. I Googled "motorcycle roadtrip planners" and looked at MapQuest, MapPoint, etc...but none of them really gave me a warm fuzzy.
So I came here...

If you have a site you personally like to use, give 'em a shout out and tell us what makes them so great, {IN YOUR OPINION}

The criteria I'm using to judge a "good" site are:

1) The ability to add intermediate stops between starting point and destination and have the website consider them as part of the route (calculate mileage to them)

2) Suggestions for places to see along the way: scenic spots, museums, etc

3) Ability to add/highlight/annotate hospitals, hotels, bike dealers/garages, etc to the route

4) Ability to print it out so that it can be folded and either slipped into the pocket on my leathers or in my jacket..something smaller than 8x10 pieces of paper

I'm not opposed to paying for a membership (Ex: Honda Red Rider, AAA, some insurance company, etc)...I just want the best.

Peace,

MILF Rider

Mapquest used to be okay - max. 10 stops, but I think they got rid of the route planner. Instead of a website try MS Streets and Trips ($20-24 at Costco). Outstanding program for planning routes. You can save and share the files.

Check it out....

Credit Cliff and Carol on this one. They turned me on to it!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Trip

Remember, there's 125 miles of nothing between Green River and Ritchfield.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Weekend trip? Taking the Cessna? 1,280 miles without side trips. :shock:
If you are burdened using a windows computer the Streets and Trips is good software, Sams $24-26.
If you are enlightened and on a MAC, then get Route 66 map software. It includes long. and lat. as well as elevations. It is more expensive, but for planning...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Re: Trip

pichel said:
Remember, there's 125 miles of nothing between Green River and Ritchfield.
Makes for interesting riding here in Utah.

Can't tell you about the other states, but this website will give you updated reports on road conditions and weather throughout Utah. http://www.utahcommuterlink.com/ie.htm

Go here and either download the "Utah Official Highway Map" or even better fill out the application form and have "Kitty" mail you one. These maps are excellent and show every nook and cranny in Utah. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Ydwh ... +Map&hl=en

Let us know when your coming through. Be more than glad to hook up with you along the way. VTXers are also having a Cedar City get together June 18 and we'll be riding up around Cedar Breaks, Brian Head, Panguitch Resevoir and through Zions. I plan on coming back, through Tropic (right next to Bryce Canyon), Escanante, Boulder, Torrey, Fish Lake area Highways 12 and 24. Spectacular Scenic ride (designated a Scenic Ride) coming back to Salt Lake area right through the middle of Utah.

I have lived and driven throughout the USA. I will say this. There is probably no more diverse and scenic country than in Utah. You could probably spend a month or two seeing all the sights.

I'd do the Southern part of the State in early Summer late Spring and meander North as Summer goes on. Don't miss the Uintah Mountains, all out ski resorts, Francis Peak, Mt. Nebo rides up North.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I now use a program "Back Roads Explorer" to investigate and mark my routes but...

MapsOnUs does allow the insertion of multiple intermediate stops and is handy for forcing a route in that manner. I also like picking back routes with it on the scale setting of 4 miles. If the road shows at that level then it's not dirt and at that scale you can get an indication as to whether it has plentiful curves.

http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/map ... e/usr=~new

·
Registered
959 Posts
Go to AAA and tell 'em you want the m/c coverage, if you don't have it already. Tell the trip planner where you want to go and any side diversions if any. Tell 'em you don't want to go on any major interstates and they'll plot you a point by point on secondary roads and include the scenic stuff as well as the logisitcs (mileage, room & board).

I had 'em plan my MA to NYC to LA trip: 4700 miles I'd do again in a heartbeat. Idiot proof directions, with the benefit of side streets being that anything of interest that you see you can just peel off.

I'd do it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys...thanks for all the replies to this thread...you've given me several good leads to check into..I might end up using a combination of all the sites to makes sure I get what I need...

Ride safe,

MILF Rider

1 - 11 of 11 Posts