Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have already been discussed but here goes. I had back surgery several years ago, lower lumbar, and as a result can't stand or sit for long periods of time. And I can't stay in the saddle too awfully long either. I have an "05 Retro and I have been looking at the Ultimate LowRider. I have read all the posts about the different seats, ie: Mustang, Ultimate, Corbin etc. I really like the looks of the Lowrider and the back support, but is it enough? Where I really need it is the lower back. I would really appreciate any comments from any other folks in the same situation or for that matter, any comments on the Ultimate Lowrider. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Best Seat for A Bad Back?...LazyBoy comes to mind.... :wink:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silvervtx04s said:
Best Seat for A Bad Back?...LazyBoy comes to mind.... :wink:
Thought that was what the ultimate was supposed to be? Dang! :lol:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i ride with a guy who had back surgery and he has a mustang seat with the driver bacrest. He said w/o it he would only go on 75 mile trips or less but now he cool up to 200. He also wears a belt sometimes like you would see on folks lifting weights or the kind many stores like walmart make their employees wear. I think he only does this when his back is already bothering him.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Back pain is such an individual thing... not easy to compare. I have the mustang seat, although, if I had it to do again, I would probably opt for the cushier ultimate. For back pain though, I think the important item is the back rest. Once I got mine, I have felt terrific. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip where the first day I put on 700 miles. Fell two stories while framing a house in my younger years and have always had a weak back since. Get the back rest!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ultimate with backrest on my retro. The best investment I made for my vtx.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Never had the surgery, but lots of therapy in my younger days, still suffer from lower back pain from time to time (along with other things). I have the mustang seat with the back rest and it made an immeadiate difference. May I also suggest risers and a windshield, this combination will take a huge load off your back and neck, not to mention your wallet. :lol:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Which seat...

I suffer from low back pain from time to time, and find my Mustang seat very comfortable. I don't even have the back rest. Why don't you go to the Mustang seat site www.mustangseats.com and click on customer comments. I found them helpful in making a decision

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had back surgery when I was 22 for a MotoCross accident. After that I was always limited to short distance ridding untill I bought my first Mustang. On my 04 Retro I have the Two-Piece Wide Touring Seat

"The deeply pocketed driver seat is a full 17" and sits you at the 12.5" bucket that utilizes Mustang's unique internal steel support wings. All styles feature braided egde trim. On the styles without the driver backrest, the driver's back is well supported by the nose of the passenger seat that extends forward to create a full 9" backrest."

I find that I need the lower back support. The backrest models are upper back support. This supports me low where I need it (L4-L5). I can ride a full day...I have the Kury Highway pegs and the Kewl Metal Risers, and I can lay back and be supported for a change of seating position.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
StormRider wrote:
Fell two stories while framing a house in my younger years and have always had a weak back since. Get the back rest!
we all know the fall is not what hurts you......it is the sudden stop.

i got bad back and next day after ride i hurt like heck and hardly get around house when i first get up that morning.

the back support belt is good idea.
the ultimate seat is great , but either them , corbin or mustang,
get the rider's back rest.

i ruined my back doing motocross, worked as tree climber in my youth.
fell out of a few trees. and carpentry work is heck on back and knees.

corbin want to much money and i've sat on all 3 touring seats
the ultimate lowrider 4 piece is by far the best.
it brings you closer to your handlebars as well.
if you're a big fella you need their bigboy lowrider seat.

after more research i find mustang is very comparable to ultimate
in comfort and support.
ultimate looks better and the forward positioning is a plus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ultimate on a 04 Retro here. 5'9", 200 lbs and low back problems. Very good low back support for my frame. It made a world of difference for me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Most like their Ultimate,but be advised that if you are short(5'6") & slender(150),it moved me back from the tank & the severe angle of the seat makes me have to TRY to lean ahead to reach the bars.With this situation,my lower back does not even start to touch the back of the seat.For it to do me any good,I would need a wedge shaped piece of foam about 1" thick to straighten up the "backrest" part.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just installed the Mustang studded solo seat with the backrest this morning. Man why didn't I do this earlier. I think the backrest is making all the differences - You can fold the backrest and it supports the entire lower back perfectly, This seat should be the first investment for the X, Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
so i e-mailed Mustang bout hambones deal.
the sport touring seat dropping the rider
away from the handlebars, here is their response.

Our Sport touring seat is flat across the seat and the rise area. This seat
does not offer the support that our Wide touring seat does. The Wide seat
puts the driver into a bucket that actually moves the driver about one inch
forward and at least one inch higher than stock. The Sport seat allows the
driver to sit farther back because of its flat shape.
Our driver backrest is adjustable to allow you to move your upper body to
just the right position for the most comfort.
Thanks for your interest in Mustang, and let us know if we can help you
further.

hope this helps you out bud :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had too many ruptured discs (lumbar) in the last 10 years resulting in 4 surgeries. I bought the Mustang 3 piece with drivers backrest and LOVE it! I can ride for a couple of hours now with no problems at all. I tried the Ultimate and Corbins as well, but the Mustang just felt better to me. Personal choice. It's hard to sit on one for a few minutes and make a decision like that. But, I really like mine.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts