Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Take away the polarizing headlight and it looks like Harley actually hit a home run with this one. Nay sayers here had a lot of reasons why this model would fail, possibly sinking the MoCo. It's beginning to look like a bold new future for the Bar and Shield.

I, for one, am very happy this historical American company is forging a future. The Pan America, engines and transmissions built in Milwaukee and the rest done in York, providing jobs and income for a great many citizens.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
It's nice to see Harley branching out to take on the adventure bike market, and from what I've read on the HD forums the owners LOVE them. I'll never spend $20K on a bike of any make, but the Pan America is very impressive. I like the idea of a go anywhere bike, but the little dirt bike riding I've done in my life tells me I'd most likely kill myself on this bike because I can't help trying stunts in the dirt. I'd love to rent one of these one day for an adventure ride.

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sat on one the other day, nice, well put together, lots of cool innovations but $23,000 out the door,? VStrom, KLR, Africa Twin would all be a better option...
Depends on what you want.

VStrom, Super Tenere, are definitely the best value in the bigger bikes. KLR, is the best value overall, IMO. Africa Twin is what you need for off-road, but for cross country, you really are comparing it to BMW GS 1250 or a KTM 1290. Maybe a Triumph Tiger 1200. All of these bikes come in at a similar price tag, where the Harley is comfortably in the middle of the group, price wise. Harley did that on purpose.

So, there definitely is better value out there, but they are vastly different bikes within the same segment.

That said, when someone speaks about Harley, price is always front and center. Rarely is it so with BMW, KTM or Triumph.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
$20k+ for an adventure bike that you would be afraid to take off-road because it could get easily scratched or lose parts if you dropped it ij the terrain?
Well, my co-worker is selling a like-new KLR 650, pretty much the same thing, an adventure bike, but for $5k.
And you can always glue on an H-D logo if you need.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm interested in it but more likely the cheaper base version $17.3K. Been actively looking for a new bike, have my 2004 luxury tourer and 2005 single cylinder adventure. Want to get down to only one bike, don't see any future trips without the wife and I feel the 650 might be a little small for really long distance, although in reality probably not. We travel with the 1200 and like remote camping and the LT just isn't the bike for that. A newer adv bike seems like a potential choice. Made a word doc comparison with the things that are important to me. Don't care about things like connectivity, wifi, display screens, things like that, ridden the most remote places in north america without them and won't make a decision based on those things. The one thing I don't like about the HD is the 5.6 tank, for an expensive bike with a motor that size they should have gone over 6. Electrical output is very important, wearing heated gear for both is a world of difference in riding. Want to be able to run at least 2 sets of heated jackets. The LT easily outputs 60A so we can run anything we want with mucho power to spare.

Looking at electrical output, tank size, and cost I'm leaning toward the yamaha, like the shaft drive but pay for it in weight. Close second is the base HD 50lb lighter and more power.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I looked at one when I went to pick up parts. Thought it was very nice. My 'dirt/off road' riding days are over but, if I were a younger man I would certainly consider it. Glad to see HD taking a shot at a slightly broader market.

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$20k+ for an adventure bike that you would be afraid to take off-road because it could get easily scratched or lose parts if you dropped it ij the terrain?
Well, my co-worker is selling a like-new KLR 650, pretty much the same thing, an adventure bike, but for $5k.
And you can always glue on an H-D logo if you need.
Not at all, anywhere close, to the same thing. Ride a KLR for 3 hours and ride a big ADV, and the difference is night and day. Make no mistake, the KLR is a great bike, for what it is. I know, I had one for a while. But as great as it is, it plays a different game. Yes it will do the same thing, basically, but a Rebel 250 does basically the same job as a VTX 1800. I know which one I'd choose.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Not at all, anywhere close, to the same thing. Ride a KLR for 3 hours and ride a big ADV, and the difference is night and day. Make no mistake, the KLR is a great bike, for what it is. I know, I had one for a while. But as great as it is, it plays a different game. Yes it will do the same thing, basically, but a Rebel 250 does basically the same job as a VTX 1800. I know which one I'd choose.
Rgr. I'll have to take your word for it.
I admit I've never seen a Pan Am in person, only pictures and videos. So it is hard to compare. It just "looks" like my co-worker's big KLR with briefcases mounted on the back.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There are so few off-road possibilities in my neck of the wood that any sort of adventure bike will spend more time on blacktop. I don't see myself trailering my bike for two hours just to be able to start my adventure. After owning the 1300 for 15+ years, I am looking for a lighter bike in the sub 500lb range. So yeah, no PanAm for me.

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe a 950 is in the works. It will be smaller and lighter for those that prefer it. Really and truly, I think Harley was going after the 800 pound gorilla of ADV (GS1200). If you can make an impression there, it credits your effort.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Depends on what you want.

VStrom, Super Tenere, are definitely the best value in the bigger bikes. KLR, is the best value overall, IMO. Africa Twin is what you need for off-road, but for cross country, you really are comparing it to BMW GS 1250 or a KTM 1290. Maybe a Triumph Tiger 1200. All of these bikes come in at a similar price tag, where the Harley is comfortably in the middle of the group, price wise. Harley did that on purpose.

So, there definitely is better value out there, but they are vastly different bikes within the same segment.

That said, when someone speaks about Harley, price is always front and center. Rarely is it so with BMW, KTM or Triumph.
You are exactly right. went to sit on one Wednesday and it was sold before I could get their. I was told no more bikes until 2022 and the ones still around are 25K. If the test ride goes well I think I am getting one just don't know when. Hopefully supply chain gets fixed so we can get back to normal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Something else to consider if a middle age to older man who decides to take up motorcycle AVD riding far off in terrain many miles from a town. Riding alone could be dangerous if you take a fall and you are injured and with no cell service. This video has some good tips.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Something else to consider if a middle age to older man who decides to take up motorcycle AVD riding far off in terrain many miles from a town. Riding alone could be dangerous if you take a fall and you are injured and with no cell service. This video has some good tips.
To me this is a sport tourer that might see some gravel roads in Oregon I have had my dirt days to old to fat for that any more

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To me this is a sport tourer that might see some gravel roads in Oregon I have had my dirt days to old to fat for that any more
Totally!

Several hours on my couch (dresser bike) on pavement, is far preferable to masochistically taking a 500-600lb bike off-road.

·
Registered
418 Posts
[/QUOTE="Several hours on my couch (dresser bike) on pavement, is far preferable to masochistically taking a 500-600lb bike off-road."]

I had a WR250F aluminum frame 240lbs wet, after a couple hours riding trails I was so tired I had to ask for help to get it off its side. Sold it after that just to much work and chance of getting hurt. The Pan America would see the occasional well maintained gravel road. If I see a rut I'm taking the "long way around

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[/QUOTE="Several hours on my couch (dresser bike) on pavement, is far preferable to masochistically taking a 500-600lb bike off-road."]

I had a WR250F aluminum frame 240lbs wet, after a couple hours riding trails I was so tired I had to ask for help to get it off its side. Sold it after that just to much work and chance of getting hurt. The Pan America would see the occasional well maintained gravel road. If I see a rut I'm taking the "long way around
Sold my CRF450X for the same reason. I was getting hurt waaayyy too much.

Reactions: Capt. Rory
1 - 20 of 22 Posts