Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that I enjoy mountain bike riding. Specifically, technical riding which involves riding over logs, jumps, steep ravines, etc. So being active in the saddle is imperative. It also applies to cornering a bicycle or motorcycle.

Yesterday after a full day of riding, and getting a little tired, I wasn’t feeling comfortable with my cornering. There were corners with sand and off camber turns, etc. So I started applying my MTB philosophy of being “active” in the saddle. I’m not talking about sliding off the saddle like the sportbikes, but rather rocking sideways on my butt into the turns as well as leaning slightly forward into the turns. Wow, what a difference! The bike seemed to corner like it was on rails, in fact, it wanted to dive into the corners. Talk about NICE! One thing that I know works, but don’t do it on a motorcycle, is to stick the inboard knee out. This twists the torso into the turn and on aggressive corning really helps as well.

Okay, so take this for what its worth. Try it sometime and see if it works for you. Better technique is safer riding!

Da Woot!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I mtn biked for over 12 years before I bought my X last year, and there's no doubt in my mind why I took to the X so quickly. Granted it is an exceptionally well engineered and balanced bike, but multiple years of mtn biking, around town, and on trails really gave me a head start on the slow speed balance and manuvering, as well as cornering. Only problem is I love riding the X so much I've not been on my mtn bike since last spring, and I've gained 20 lbs. Damn it. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts