Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a VTX 1300S and I'd like to replace the stock vent hoses, (T-hose that is under the tank and connects to petcock and gas tank vent hose) and the stock gas line with something hopefully better than stock.

Does anyone know a source for better than stock hoses I can order from?

If not, is there a source to order these other than OEM?

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Intrigued by your question. Thinking, isn't a vacuum hose just a vacuum hose? Why not simply pick up a length of 4mm at AutoZone and be done? [asking for a friend;)]

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
There is an answer on here…I just dont know how to find it…back in the day similar question was asked…and someone recommended a type of hoses better than rubber…I believe they were silicone….…came in a variety of colors…good luck

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Intrigued by your question. Thinking, isn't a vacuum hose just a vacuum hose? Why not simply pick up a length of 4mm at AutoZone and be done? [asking for a friend;)]
Looking not just to replace, but to replace with better than stock, if such a thing is 'out there'. The vent hoses aren't ridged enough in my opinion and so they can get pinched easily and the rubber where they connect gets cracked around the edges and loose. Mine didn't have any kind of clip/holder, so I made one out of thin wire twisted tight to serve as a clip. I've pulled my gas tank vent hose off and put it back on it more times than I can remember from pulling my tank off and the mounting tip of the hose gets old/weak after awhile. I'd just like better than stock tubing if any is made.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an answer on here…I just dont know how to find it…back in the day similar question was asked…and someone recommended a type of hoses better than rubber…I believe they were silicone….…came in a variety of colors…good luck

I was thinking of that very discussion when I posted but also didn't recall what was suggested. Silicone seems like it would last longer than rubber, but I have concern it might not be ridged enough (might pinch too easily, even with just a bend).

I'll settle on stock rubber if I cant find an improved tube (((shrug))).

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Considering the OEM tubing lasts approx. 15+ years makes me wonder if the search is warranted. Although at one time i remember wanting my bike NASA ready:D .

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looking not just to replace, but to replace with better than stock, if such a thing is 'out there'. The vent hoses aren't ridged enough in my opinion and so they can get pinched easily and the rubber where they connect gets cracked around the edges and loose. Mine didn't have any kind of clip/holder, so I made one out of thin wire twisted tight to serve as a clip. I've pulled my gas tank vent hose off and put it back on it more times than I can remember from pulling my tank off and the mounting tip of the hose gets old/weak after awhile. I'd just like better than stock tubing if any is made.
McMaster-Carr

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If you want it to last forever you should get quality silicone vacuum lines and PTFE (teflon) braid covered fuel line. Both will be unaffected by the heat normally experienced and will not be affected by UV or ozone. Both will last a very long time. If you have a rare shop close then that's where to go.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I own a VTX 1300S and I'd like to replace the stock vent hoses, (T-hose that is under the tank and connects to petcock and gas tank vent hose) and the stock gas line with something hopefully better than stock.

Does anyone know a source for better than stock hoses I can order from?

If not, is there a source to order these other than OEM?

Thanks for any suggestions...
It's a good idea to get substitutes identified actually, considering the decreasing availability of parts. Some good post here already. (y)

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering the OEM tubing lasts approx. 15+ years makes me wonder if the search is warranted. Although at one time i remember wanting my bike NASA ready:D .

While you make a very good point about how stock is built to last, my knee-jerk reaction is to see if there is anything better than stock. I just know from experience that bike builders don't put in the best, most expensive (whatever) and that technology changes to improve general use items like say, rubber tubes. This is why my brake lines are steel braided now, my headlight bulb, brake light, turn signals seat, etc, etc are now better than stock. (y)

Replacing with silicone seems like what I'll be shopping for and the PTFE gas lines Harkon suggested.

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I'm lazy, 😴 does anyone know the diameter of the vacuum line and the gas line (VTX 1300)?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I posted to another one of your threads. I went OEM when I replaced mine.

Be careful of the needed bends in the lines. Actually most of the lines have bends in them and are formed for specific purpose. Hopefully if you go aftermarket, you wont run into kinking issues, but with all the bends I would think you would.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2009 Honda VTX1300R A FUEL TANK | Ron Ayers

Item number 33 is the bulk hose. The measurements are (3.5x8000)(3.5x520), not entirely sure what that means, if the 3.5 is the ID or OD of the hose.

Link to excess hose:
Honda 95005-35008-10M - BULK HOSE, VACUUM (3.5X8000) (3.5X540) : Ron Ayers

Thanks for the info...
Actually, the part I need to replace is:

TUBE B, VACUUM

16957-MEM-670

See it here:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks for the info...
Actually, the part I need to replace is:

TUBE B, VACUUM

16957-MEM-670

See it here:
Yup. Tube B is in the file I sent you. The part 33 refers to the bulk hose, it is the same size hose, just not molded. Maybe you can use part 33's description to look for an aftermarket replacement.

But I still think OEM is good enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts