Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am part of that percentage of America that is horizontally challenged while lying on the ground on a creeper working under a car.
I have trouble finding shirts, jackets, etc that fit comfortably and look normal. Just bought a VTX 3XL jacket from HDL and it fits fine in the upper body, but as usual the lower 50% of the jacket is too short in length and snug obviously. A 3XLT or a 4XLT will usually fit my frame adequetly, but it is the same story, some mfg's idea of a 3XL and a 4XL are all over the spectrum, nothing seems to be standardized these days in clothing.
So...
Does any of my fellow big men VTXO's have simular problems and have found a mfg. with a solution?

Dawg graphics has some very acceptable sized tee shirts, I have pretty much bought out his selection.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
im 380lbs and i need a 4XL and it has to be a tall size. i have 3 leather jackets sitting in my closet becuase it took buying 4 jackets to finally find one the right size. i found a 4XLT at wilson leather, iv heard wilson leather jackets arnt very good if you take a fall.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've had a Wilson jacket before that did actually fit quite well, but I would never want to ride with it as the leather is way too supple. The jacket I wear in the spring and fall is custom made by a woman here in Madison I bought about three years ago when I bought my X. It is the typical biker heavy leather jacket with all the zippers and flaps.
I have a real lightweight gray colored BROSH jacket with Kevlar armour pads I wear in the summer that is way cooler to wear (temperature wise).
I had hoped this VTX jacket I bought from HDL would have fit but as I said it is a bit snug for a 3XL

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was wondering what kind of a fit that jacket had myself.

I was considering a puchase of that jacket but also was unsure of how the sizing went. I am in the same boat when shopping for clothing , jackets in particular. In your opinion how would this jacket compare to a size 54R jacket which is what I normally wear.

Rick

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Interesting, I also have a Brosh Cool Kevlar jacket. It fits well and is comfortable when it's warm enough but I'm not convinced it'll actually protect me if I go down. I just hope it holds the armor in place for the initial impact.

I've got several jackets and if I lose weight, I'll have jackets that will fit me at various stages.

Best fitting leather I have is my Vanson race leathers. Not really interested in wearing a scuffed up white and purple one piece. Not ready to cut off the bottom half just yet either. If you really want something to fit properly, go custom. Vanson, Z Leathers, etc. It's just money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I was wondering what kind of a fit that jacket had mysel

mdvtx said:
I was considering a puchase of that jacket but also was unsure of how the sizing went. I am in the same boat when shopping for clothing , jackets in particular. In your opinion how would this jacket compare to a size 54R jacket which is what I normally wear.

Rick
MDVTX; Like I said for my frame it is fine on the upper body half, but the lower half of the jacket needs to be about 6 inches lower and the snugness is actually the elastic bottom wraping around my spare tire, but if it was 6 inches longer it would feel and look normal.
Nothing like standing in a mirror and seeing your gut hang out beneath the jacket.
MAN I GOTTA LOSE WEIGHT THIS YEAR!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
well hate to make my self

feel like a BIG MAN.... but well i am... 6'4-6" if im in Heels :lol: 350#

I just got a real nice classic style jacket from POOPYS in savanna Illinois just up the river. Kevin ordered me a 64 and it fits great. Very good fit in the arms and such. he had a 60 in stock but it was a lil snug.

I normaly wear a 4xl or 5xl tall. The brand of the coat was River Road I have seen them advertised in magazines. $155 for the coat. I hate shirts that are tight so i normaly go 5xlT.

I enjoy his unautorized Hd shop/ bar/ tatoo shop/ piercing nice store to go to.

http://www.poopys.com there motto is "Our prices are cheaper than sh#T"

Jacket online about 140$ - http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Cruiser_Jackets/F-5993_Basic_Motorcycle_Jackets.html?E+scstore

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bdunshee;
Yeah that Brosh Cool Kevlar will definetly not prevent road rash, very thin material, but like you said it hopefully the kevlar armour will protect you from the abrupt stoppage resultant from a crash.
The point I was making was that the Brosh and the Heavy Leather Custom made jacket I have are the only choices I have.
I bought the VTX jacket from HDL hoping to have an alternative for the summer riding as that Brosh isn't the warmest thing to have on in the morning when it is cool or late at night when you drive your bike into a valley...BRRRRRRRR!!!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
cryoman,
I run into the same problem of the jackets being too short... in addition to being too tight. I have a long torso but relatively short arms. I usually have to have the sleeves shortened.

I can't recommend Vanson enough and if I were resigned to staying at my current weight, I'd buy another custom fitted jacket from them. I've crashed wearing Vanson, several times on the track, once on the street.

They make several models of jackets with various methods of closeable ventilation. But they are pricey.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was looking for a jacket that fit me and didn't feel like a piece of crap. I spent a long time looking.

This is the company that I ended up going with, and believe me, its a REAL motorcycle jacket. These guys make a jacket that will fit you and it will be a serious piece of leather.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/

This is the jacket I bought:
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/1.html

It has all of the features I wanted in bike jacket (no liner for hot weather, snap in liner for cold; vents; zippered wrists; cool appearence; thick, functional leather; reinforced shoulders, elbows; fits properly ;) )

I've been down once while wearing this. It was a slow speed fall in an intersection, the leather did not scratch or tear...I can't even tell it happened, let alone somebody that wouldn't know to look.

The jacket is very heavy...I'm not sure there is anyway to avoid that on a jacket designed for a big guy and made of quality leather.

I really, really recommend these guys. My jacket is about 4 years old or so and I can't imagine riding with out it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another site for all leather items, especially motorcycle leather is...theleatheroutlet.com.......Can outfit about anyone in chaps and 64 tall jackets...I think they may go up to 6x on some clothing. Good product at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess the problem comes in with the conversion from "number" sizes to XL, XXL, etc. There seems to be NO standard at all. I wear an XXXL leather jacket that fits perfect, all of my tee shirts from multiple mnfgrs are XXL, and fit great. However, I purchased a vest from jammin leather, (BTW...good price, great service, nice product) and it was XXXL. However, it was 8 inches short of being able to close it accross the front, and about 3 inches too short on length. The lady told me they run a little small. O.K., but DANG........they could save a lot of returning/exchanges etc. if they just used sizing a little CLOSER to what everyone else is using. I guess the bottom line is, to be sure of a good fit, ya gotta try it on. Trouble is, you sure miss out on some good internet deals by being afraid of size problems........

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I was lucky to have a lady that sells Jamin Leathers measure me to be sure we got the right size before ordering. And sure enough it all fit. Normally wore at 2x at that time and the jacket was a 5x! :shock: (lost weight since then!) I bought my vest later on that was a Jamin Leathers by being able to try it on at a bike swap meet. I'm one that likes to try it on because all the leathers seem to fit differently from brand to brand. So I would say to carefully check any return policies in online ordering.

·
Registered
900 Posts
cryoman said:
Ok I am part of that percentage of America that is horizontally challenged while lying on the ground on a creeper working under a car.
I have trouble finding shirts, jackets, etc that fit comfortably and look normal. Just bought a VTX 3XL jacket from HDL and it fits fine in the upper body, but as usual the lower 50% of the jacket is too short in length and snug obviously. A 3XLT or a 4XLT will usually fit my frame adequetly, but it is the same story, some mfg's idea of a 3XL and a 4XL are all over the spectrum, nothing seems to be standardized these days in clothing.
So...
Does any of my fellow big men VTXO's have simular problems and have found a mfg. with a solution?

Dawg graphics has some very acceptable sized tee shirts, I have pretty much bought out his selection.
You may want to check with . . . .

Jay Goddard
301-340-0886
[email protected]
http://www.MotorcycleLeatherExchange.com

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts