Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There had been a few posts about the BigCity Thunder baffles I had a set on order and get them today. Nice looking item. took 5 mins to install. They have to sit a minumim 3 in into the pipe. I didnt need to drill a new hole on my Cobras for them to mount.
The sound is awesome, I was running my pipes with out the baffles but didnt like the sound ( didnt like the sound w/ them in either) I started the bike up with out needing the choke and it sounds like a new set of pipes, nice deep rumble at idle.
Took it out for a spin, ran it up slowly up to 3rd gear and then got on it, WOW... feels like more power, seems like I had to hold on as I ran up through the gears. I was impressed and really dig the sound at idle and running it. $79.95 + shipping
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
Yep, lots of us have them. They produce an awesome torque curve. The sound is very loud and throaty. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have them, and like them...at least until I can save up and get some Roadhouse pipes. :p

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
What do they look like? I have the HK stock baffles in my big straights and they are louvered, I would like to see how these baffle differ from them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
TM's are LOUD. Additionally, they are LOUD. I like many things about them, including the backpressure , torgue and the deep rumble. Most of all I like that they are LOUD.
They are well worth the money, but if you have any reservations about being really LOUD, I say pass on them.
At first you think, these will be too LOUD for long trips, but then you find they are not.
Sometimes you get strange ideas about taking them out because they are SO LOUD, but the thought passes quickly. :)
BTW, if you looking to duplicate the sound of "another Bike " this is not your answer.
This is a sound that's all VTX, and I like it like that, and also, they are LOUD!!

LOUDLOUDLOUD!!!!

p.s they are loud.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
289 Posts
could pipes ever be to loud????? I like to set off car alarms

G

·
0 Posts
how did anyone get them for the big 3s on a 1300? they told me I had to get the straight through baffles, then measure THAT ID and call them back. This can't be. What did you guys do?

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Thunder Monsters

I have an 02 1800 R...I just got the Thunder Monster baffles for my HK 3" Big Straights...Yes ,you have to buy a separate,straight thru baffle from HK,in order to use the Thunder Monster..Or they say you can do some "cutting" to the spiral baffle to make them fit..Sounded like a lot of work.. I have not put them in yet,but there is not much to the part itself..
Its 2" long,1-5/8' OD,and looks like it just has a 3/4" dia. washer standing
up in the middle of it...I dont get the science of it,but people say they work well.Gail Hamilton at Big City Thunder was very helpful and knowledgable....and she sent me a free ($20 value) T-shirt with my baffles. I will be installing my new baffle set up this weekend...

·
Registered
20 Posts
solveforX said:
TM's are LOUD. Additionally, they are LOUD. I like many things about them, including the backpressure , torgue and the deep rumble. Most of all I like that they are LOUD.
They are well worth the money, but if you have any reservations about being really LOUD, I say pass on them.
At first you think, these will be too LOUD for long trips, but then you find they are not.
Sometimes you get strange ideas about taking them out because they are SO LOUD, but the thought passes quickly. :)
BTW, if you looking to duplicate the sound of "another Bike " this is not your answer.
This is a sound that's all VTX, and I like it like that, and also, they are LOUD!!

LOUDLOUDLOUD!!!!

p.s they are loud.

Respectfully,

David
I liked this post! Thanks for the laugh :lol:

btw I odered a set today and also got the free t-shirt. Gail is very nice

·
Registered
47 Posts
V&H quiet baffles

OK take it easy on me. Will anything make my 1800C sound close to a HD. :oops: I've owned HD in the past, just sold my chopper. I'm running straight V&H exhaust. I think it sound like my old John Deere 2 cylinder "put"put". :( We read a magazine that done an article on the VTX and said it sounds "like an elephant farting under water". Now my wife always tells me that it sounds like an elephant farting under water. Don't get me wrong, I love my VTX, Just like the sound of the HD. Hell, my wifes 750 shadow sounds closer to a HD than my big thumper.
I've tried putting the quiet baffles in, just sounds like a quiet fart under water :lol: Now I read about the TM's, can you tell me what they would sound close to? i've been thinking about cutting the closed end off my quiet baffles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Re: V&H quiet baffles

buffy said:
OK take it easy on me. Will anything make my 1800C sound close to a HD. :oops: I've owned HD in the past, just sold my chopper. I'm running straight V&H exhaust. I think it sound like my old John Deere 2 cylinder "put"put". :( We read a magazine that done an article on the VTX and said it sounds "like an elephant farting under water". Now my wife always tells me that it sounds like an elephant farting under water. Don't get me wrong, I love my VTX, Just like the sound of the HD. Hell, my wifes 750 shadow sounds closer to a HD than my big thumper.
I've tried putting the quiet baffles in, just sounds like a quiet fart under water :lol: Now I read about the TM's, can you tell me what they would sound close to? i've been thinking about cutting the closed end off my quiet baffles.
Nothing will make your 1800 sound like a Harley. Has everything to do with the engine (twin pins on the crank as opposed to one). The 1300 will sound a lot like the HD.
That said, I LOVE the way my 1800 sounds...in fact (dare I say it?)...I like it more that the sound of a HD. Sure, the HDs have the potato sound, just like every other HD on the road. When I pull up to a stoplight beside any of them, mine sounds deeper, throatier, and just plain meaner. Of course, I might be a little biased. The stock V and H sounded too "tinny" to me at times. With the ThunderMonsters, I honestly could not be happier. Good luck on whatever you decide!

·
Registered
146 Posts
1800 will never sound like a Harley, as has been discussed.

I don't really see a way out of your quandry, closest solution I can think of is to trade for a 1300, with a single crank pin, closer to the sound you like.

What a magazine says does not shape my experience, period.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I decided to go with a pair. I figured it would be a nice addition with a P4 and a NOS system. Once the P4 gets here its DynoTime :twisted:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go back to 1300 :shock: , Na. Ok, I will quit whinning and just enjoy my "putt putt" :wink: .
Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 26 Posts