Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, my beloved bike is down. Wondering if anyone has had this happen. Stopped, signalling to take a left hand turn. Then Boom. I got rear ended. Knock me and the bike down. Fortunately I got away from the bike with only an ankle injury that will heal. The bike is to be looked at by the insurance guy...So to be determined. Any advice before talking to the "man" would be appreciated.

Jack

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing OK! I know when I work with people involved in an accident, it's best to make sure you are totally satisfied before you close your case. Wait a day or so and see how your body feels...you could probably use some bodywork yourself. I try to keep my eye on my back side at stops at least one preferably two cars are behind me...some times I drift off at long lights and then shake myself.
Blessings on you~M

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Well damn the bad luck...Good think you had the BIG GUY riding 2 up...Glad to hear your pretty much ok.....Nuts and bolts can fix the bike...Take care ....MATT

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I agree with the first reply. It's normally not the next day but the day after that that you really feel it. Make sure first that nothing is wrong with you first. I don't believe in suing for the hell of it but how hard is it to see a bike like ours sitting at an intersection?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Sorry to hear that, and glad it was not to bad. I watch my six in the mirror at stop lights in fear of that. Heal quick, fix the bike and get back out there. Watch your back bro!

·
3,915 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you are ok except for the Ankle... you know it could have been much worse. I agree with the previous posts. Take care of that ankle!! :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Incident. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery (bike included here) :) :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hey Teach, hope you and the bike get well soon. That's exactly why I put a run-turn-brake module on the C. People make me nervous behind me. I also hardly ever take the bike out of gear at stops but you can't always watch everything.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Oh, man! I'm very sorry to hear about your accident, Teach. I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope you don't have to total your ride...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sorry about the mishap, but glad you're ok.
Call a lawyer. It's the only way to be absolutely sure you'll be taken care of. I cursed them all up and down until I called one after getting smacked by a bonehead cager on a cell phone. They're worth every bit of their cut for the aggravation they save you alone.

Good luck, and hope you're back on your wheels soon ...
Ed

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
OK Teach, fess up......it was because of the car tire, wasn't it? The driver in the car coming up from behind couldn't believe what he was seeing......he was transfixed.....and...BAM! :shock:

Wow dude, glad you came out, mostly, ok.

I would definitely get checked out by a doctor. I had a guy in a huge dually pickup rear end me a couple of years ago, at fairly low speed, at a traffic light, but even at low speed the amount of momentum that truck had was enough to snap my head back, send my water cup flying, and sprayed the change in my ashtray all over the car. He didn't think it was a big deal, and didn't want the police called. I knew how hard I was hit, so I waited for the LEO.

I did hurt more the 2nd day, so I had x-rays. Fortunately, there was only muscle trauma in my neck.

Make sure that ALL of your repairs and medical bills get covered by the guilty party's insurance, and don't settle too soon.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, look into a brake light modulator. I use the one made by Kisan, but there are others. You'll also probably get into the habit of checking your mirrors as you are stopping, and rechecking periodically after you've been stopped. If I stop at a light, and nobody is immediately behind me, I keep watch for people coming up, and when I see them in my lane I reapply my brake, which reactivates my modulator. It really helps get their attention, and if for some reason it doesn't, you'll be aware that they are coming, not stopping, and you need to move out of the way FAST!

I hope you heal quickly, and completely Teach.

-S

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm glad your not hurt too bad. whew.

sorry about your bike. I know how one feels. I never got to see mine again :cry:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yoidahom said:
Ghost-Flame said:
roundabout said:
That's exactly why I put a run-turn-brake module on the C..
What is a run turn brake module and what does it do?
:? Tom
Check this out
http://www.customdynamics.com/honda-vtx ... lights.htm
I have a rear brake flasher, and though it's good, I believe that it's not as effective as physical movement. i.e. Move your arm or leg when someone is bearing down on you from behind. Motion is more visible from a distance than a fixed flash, especially in sunny conditions IMO. Always stop in a position that you can lurch forward as well and keep the eyes on the mirror. Too many cellphones out there. Ride safe!

RamboX

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Jack, glad to see your typing about this, and not hearing this from someone else. I hope the A hole did not mess up that pretty drive you got from me just a short while back. :shock:

If you need anything, give me a holler...............................

Take care buddy,
Show

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the support

Appreciate all your comments. I'll keep that 2nd day effect in mind on account that everything happened really fast.

Going to talk with the Insurance Company. I sure hope they don't total it and give me NADA value. That would be a third of what it would take to replace everything. Man, this is the big downside of putting on a lot of expensive aftermarket stuff. Insurance will not fully count total replacement cost. What a jeip. Like edc said, I may have to contact a lawyer.

Anyways, I appreciate your comments. I'm also glad to have my health mostly intact. It's about perspective, I guess.

Jack

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I got rear ended, didn't knock me down, lucky. But that rear fender on my C is expensive. Damn uninsured motorists.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I got rear ended at a stop light. The cage was about 12-15 feet behind me and we both had been stopped for the entire red light cycle. The light turned green, I was checking to see if folks had stopped and weren't running the light and BAM. She must have floored it. Knocked me all around and she pushed my bike about 12' on it's side. She wanted me to get up and move myself and my bike so she could get her car out of traffic. I simply repeated. "I want a sheriff's report."

I had 16 hairline fractures and $4500 damage to my bike ('06 VTX1300C). My medical bills were around $25,000. The cager did get ticketed, the owner of the car was charged for not having insurance on the car, and my Motorcycle and Medical insurance ended up paying. They were going to sue, but the cager and family are all on welfare. I am out for two deductibles.

Blech!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts