Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning my VTX 1300 just started doing decal backfiring. Not the super loud 'CRACK!' sound, but just a noticeable amount of soft popping every time I decal. Since I've read enough about this symptom, my first reaction for what to check is a possible leak in the exhaust head connection causing a lean condition.

When I get time this weekend I'll see what I can do to fix this. I invite anyone to comment with their knowledge of this symptom/issue.

Lastly, I read some people saying they did a pair valve mod and it 'fixed' their backfiring, however I don't understand how that would fix a situation where the issue is air being sucked into the exhaust heads due to a loose pipe/seal condition, but maybe in those cases where the pair valve fixed the issue they had other issues than an exhaust leak?

I have the stock acorn nuts on my exhaust connections, so I plan on buying new gaskets and using some washers when I tighten the acorns down to ensure good closure. Those acorns have a reputation of not holding the flanges down as tight as they should.

I'm hoping this is all I need to do because I'll be stumped if it's still backfiring after I make sure the exhaust has no leaks.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Have you ever replaced the slide diaphragm in the carb? Might want to take a look at that. Mine did started acting up while cruising and sure enough there were visible cracks and gaps in it.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
diaphragm
intake manifold cracked
cracked vacuum hose(s)
cracked vacuum "T" fitting, if you still have one.
leaking exhaust head pipe seals... ( one or both )

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever replaced the slide diaphragm in the carb? Might want to take a look at that. Mine did started acting up while cruising and sure enough there were visible cracks and gaps in it.
I never replaced my slide diaphragm, but I'm familiar with it from when I did the SCAR mod. I'll order one just to have it on hand even if mine turns out in good shape.

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
HOP.. I had the same issue, the decel pop was due to loose exhaust head pipes. I got tired of trying to keep the acorn nuts tight so I replaced them with these. You can see they have the serration grooves and they stay tight. Home Depot has them in the bolt/nut bins.

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
Acorns and stainless washers here.....good luck

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Acorns and stainless washers here.....good luck
I really like the look of the Acorns and I think if I use split lock washers (like below) that and some Loctite should keep the acorn nuts in place another 10 years. ; )
Value Collection - #6 Screw 18-8 Stainless Steel Split Lock Washer -  87925129 - MSC Industrial Supply

·
Registered
906 Posts
I really like the look of the Acorns and I think if I use split lock washers (like below) that and some Loctite should keep the acorn nuts in place another 10 years. ; )
I used a very very light coating of antiseize (almost nothing) and regular open ended nuts. I did have to retorque to 17 ft lbs 3 times over the next 1k miles. So far it has held up since (2 seasons). I would be afraid of using loctite, those studs are very delicate, and if you have to remove the nuts you may have a problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Lastly, I read some people saying they did a pair valve mod and it 'fixed' their backfiring, however I don't understand how that would fix a situation where the issue is air being sucked into the exhaust heads due to a loose pipe/seal condition, but maybe in those cases where the pair valve fixed the issue they had other issues than an exhaust leak?
The pair valve puts fresh air (non-exhaust air) into the exhaust system for the purposes of burning any fuel that may still be in the exhaust gases. Fresh air + hot exhaust with unburnt fuel = bang. The bang is considerably louder on an aftermarket exhaust, since everything about them is louder. So, if it fixed it for them, it is because of this, not because of loose headers. They could have had multiple issues, and the fixed one issue and still have other fresh air getting in.

I do still on occasion have a backfire. Maybe once every 500 - 1000 miles, but my vacuum lines are all new, pair valve is removed, and my diaphragm is brand new.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I used a very very light coating of antiseize (almost nothing) and regular open ended nuts. I did have to retorque to 17 ft lbs 3 times over the next 1k miles. So far it has held up since (2 seasons). I would be afraid of using loctite, those studs are very delicate, and if you have to remove the nuts you may have a problem.
Agreed.

I followed that advice from a Northstar Riders U tube video, before I did mine.(y)

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed.

I followed that advice from a Northstar Riders U tube video, before I did mine.(y)
Loctite comes in various degrees of hold, and I know better than to use the red/permanent hold, but was thinking of using the blue. I did a quick lookup (see below) and the blue will not likely hold up to the heat range of the headers, so

222 - Purple - Low strength thread locker, designed for precision metal fasteners under

3/4". Protect threads from rust and corrosion. Removable with hand tools. Temp range -

65 to 300 degrees F. Cure Speed 20 min. Full 24 hrs.

242 - Blue - Medium strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Cures reliably even

on stainless steel. Tolerant of oil and other contamination. Protects threads from rust and

corrosion. Parts can be disassembled with hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F.

Cure speed 15 min. Full 24 hrs.

262 - Red - Permanent strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Designed for

extreme environmental/chemical conditions. Especially useful for holding tight Grade 5

and 8 fasteners. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Localized heating and hand

tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 30 min.

Full 24 hrs.

272 - Red - Hi-temp/hi-strength formula. Suited for temperatures up to 450 degrees F.

Fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up

to 1 1/2" in diameter. Heat and hand tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to

450 degrees F. Cure speed 60 min. Full 24 hrs.

277 - Red - High strength for locking fasteners up to 1 1/2". Prevents fasteners from

loosening due to shock, heat or vibration . Protects threads from rust and corrosion.

Removable with heat and hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 60

min. Full 24 hrs.

290 - Green - Medium strength thread locker for pre-assembled bolts up to 1/2".

Penetrates threads by capillary action: simplifies preventive maintenance. Secures set

screws and other assemblies after settings are completed. Used to seal welds and porous

metal parts. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F.

Cure speed 10 min. Full 24 hrs.

RCGF Aero

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
I forgot about the Anti-seize,as mentioned light coat to prevent oxidation,flat stainless and acorns....16 years zero issues...good luck

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
As mentioned above make sure to re-torque after several hot / cold cycles. I usually re-check mine at the beginning of each riding season. I used the original acorn nuts with a flat and then a lock washer, both stainless. I prefer the look of the acorn nuts.

If you find that the nuts are tight when you check them I would then think since it started all of a sudden it would be a vacuum hose or the diaphragm mentioned above. Maybe just a vacuum hose came off somewhere that did not get put completely back on when you did some work on your bike or just fatigued with age.

That's my .02 for ya

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know when I ride in the mountains at high elevation, I have a lot of popping upon deceleration but when I'm at home near the coast it is non existent. In your case, if it just started out of the blue these guys may be on to something concerning the exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts