Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have the same exhaust. I think I had to separate the Y before I started the header nuts (I may be wrong).

I know for sure I didn't mount the can to the bracket until I had everything finished up front.

Also, did you loosen the floorboard bracket while you were mounting the header? I had to actually space my floor board out with an oversized nut between the floorboard and frame (I left it loose while I was mounting the headers).

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have the same exhaust. I think I had to separate the Y before I started the header nuts (I may be wrong).

I know for sure I didn't mount the can to the bracket until I had everything finished up front.

Also, did you loosen the floorboard bracket while you were mounting the header? I had to actually space my floor board out with an oversized nut between the floorboard and frame (I left it loose while I was mounting the headers).
(y)Thanks for the tips...

I have the same pipes, but I doubt you have the same heat shields, mine are serrated (see image) and have some 'give' and flex. My back pipe swivels where it joins the front so it able to move and allow me to the front into place. Also, the right floorboard on my bike is close, but not so I had to remove it to get the pipe off or on. My floorboards aren't stock.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have the exact same exhaust:

I did have to space out my factory floor board bracket for my 2009. I also had to change my factory exhaust rear bracket to a pre 2008 bracket to mount the can. Here is the spacers, I used over sized nuts and longer bolts.

·
Registered
2006 VTX 1300C
3 Posts
I am getting a lot of backfiring, I assumed that it was jetted incorrectly for the breather and exhaust upgrades, but after reading this, I have some checking to do.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have the exact same exhaust:

I did have to space out my factory floor board bracket for my 2009. I also had to change my factory exhaust rear bracket to a pre 2008 bracket to mount the can. Here is the spacers, I used over sized nuts and longer bolts.
I have a 2004 and don't have factory floorboards and I have a highway bar mounted that I think holds out the foot mounts. I definitely don't have any special spacers on mine.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is an update to this thread. I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't do what experience should have told me to do—that is check the simplest things first. In this case the backfiring was caused simply by a vacuum tube that popped off the side of the petcock. It could have taken me less than a minute to fix, but instead I pulled off my exhaust pipe to put in new gaskets and retighten the exhaust headers (where I guessed the leak was coming from).

I struggled with this for two weekends (trying to get the pipes back on) and the only way I got them on was to pull out the mounting bolts and then remount them so more threads were exposed to allow the flange nuts to mount. Anyone who's pulled off a set of pipes that have 3 pieces to the assembly and heat shied covers that have to be mounted knows it can be a major PITA to get it to line up. It's on, but still not quite right as it was (rear baffle barley made the alignment of the mounting hardware).

Now I need to find out where I can get better than stock vent hoses, as the ones on there are crap (why it popped off).

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Check all four diaphragms (petcock, vacuum piston, air cut off & accelerator pump) with magnifying glass and against a bright (flash)light. I can't imagine if you can't see any flaw then, how these parts could be your issue.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Check all four diaphragms (petcock, vacuum piston, air cut off & accelerator pump) with magnifying glass and against a bright (flash)light. I can't imagine if you can't see any flaw then, how these parts could be your issue.
I have pulled the diaphragm out of the carb and checked it for cracks and it looked fine. As soon as I attached the petcock vacuum line that wasn't connected everything now runs fine. Thanks for adding things to check.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I ordered Honda replacement hoses. It was pricy, but if you notice there are bends in the hoses (fuel and vacuum) right where they attach to the petcock, so I didn't want to introduce a kink in that 90 degree bend.

I replaced all fuel and vacuum hoses a year ago (last winter), and while I was ordering I got the long hose that I cut to size for all the little straight pieces. I even ran a new tank vent line down (including a new T).

I ordered everything from my local dealer after collecting all the part numbers and prices from online. If you want I can look to see if I still have the spreadsheet.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you PM your email address, I found the file, I can send it to you.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you PM your email address, I found the file, I can send it to you.
PM/Conversation started with my email. Thanks.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts