Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have a 2003 1800R with approx 10k miles. Bought it new.

I've always thought my bike leaned to the left a little. Not really being a very experienced rider, I chalked it up to my imagination.

Replacing my front tire the other day, it really looked like the LEFT side was worn more than the right. Hmm.

Now that I have a new tire on, with approx 200-300 miles, it is VERY clear that I am riding on the left side of the tire. VERY obvious, as the right side looks almost new.

Chalk it up to paranoia, but now it is VERY obvious to me now that my TANK is pointing to the left. When I'm riding straight, I can clearly see that my dash (which appears to be straight relative to the tank) 'points' to the left of center, of the bolt in the middle of the plate between the forks (is that the triple tree? Forget the name).

I recall some issues w/ tank mount point welds being off. Could a uneven tank mount actually cause the bike to LEAN and cause such an obvious tire wear issue? Also thought that was an '02 issue, not an '03.

I've always felt that if I stood the bike up 'perfectly straight' , I travel to the right. Turns out I was correct! Again, I just kept chalking it up to me inexperience and paranoia, but now I'm really worried about the safety, etc.

Bike is out of warrantee, but I would think such an obvious defect (whether it's the tank mount, OR a real problem w/ my frame/forks/etc) would be covered by the dealer.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice?

Thanks guys,

-mike

·
Registered
651 Posts
You're not the only one here who has uneven tire wear. Some attribute it to the crown built into the roads, others aren't sure. As for the tank being off center to the left, mine's the same way. You can mess with it to get it to straighten out, but I'm lazy so I just live with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts