Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. New guy here. I have been eves dropping on all the great debates for a while but I finally need some help of my own. I finally got my new VTX 1800 retro (spokes) home from the dealer. For some reason I took both hands off the bars to fiddle with something and noticed the bike pulled quite noticeably to the right. I repeated this manouver many times since then in different lanes, in different gears including neutral in both directions to eliminate any variables from the road or wind. Always the same result. I phoned the dealer who said big bikes will do that. Uh, ya. I checked all bolts on the front half of the bike. Long story short, I can't figure out if this is normal. Oh ya, with one or both hands on the bars, there is not any noticeable pull right or left. What's up ?? Please go drive your bike on a flat road and see if your bike does this or what could be causing it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Welcome aboard - this may sound bad so please don't think I'm trying to shrug you off... Use the little search button above and search for "bike pulls right" and click "search for all terms" and select 1800 tech forum. You should get about 27 results all good reading.

Like I said, not trying to shrug you off but this is a common question and everyone has their own opinion on why it is - skim through those threads and it should give you an idea of where to look. :wink:

·
Registered
687 Posts
The stockers all do that. Mine, and some others that I've ridden, all had the exact same problem, including an 05 1800F that I rode. Changing the pipes to V&H BigShots lessened it to some degree but it was still there. I recently changed to Metzeler tires and, voila, the problem is gone.

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
The exhaust is extremely heavy. This will off balance your ride a bit to the right. 8)

Welcome to the board!
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX.
There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search). Enter your item to be searched in the "Search Query" section and click the "Search for all terms" bullet under the query. Then go to the "Search Options" section and choose a board from the "Forum" drop down menu. This will limit the results to your search so you won't get pages of "Fluff" .

The pupose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Also, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My old K bike would do the same thing. Crank on the right, pistons & exhaust on the left & it still would drift 2 the right. I'll have 2 look but I think the differential was on the right as well w/Suzys on the left. Had a dry clutch so there never was a syn made my clutch slip thread. Would've been a plus on this board. If ya wanna do the "look ma no hands" ya can always list 2 port..........

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Frank P said:
Greetings. New guy here. I have been eves dropping on all the great debates for a while but I finally need some help of my own. I finally got my new VTX 1800 retro (spokes) home from the dealer. For some reason I took both hands off the bars to fiddle with something and noticed the bike pulled quite noticeably to the right. I repeated this manouver many times since then in different lanes, in different gears including neutral in both directions to eliminate any variables from the road or wind. Always the same result. I phoned the dealer who said big bikes will do that. Uh, ya. I checked all bolts on the front half of the bike. Long story short, I can't figure out if this is normal. Oh ya, with one or both hands on the bars, there is not any noticeable pull right or left. What's up ?? Please go drive your bike on a flat road and see if your bike does this or what could be causing it. Thanks in advance.
Its normal and is probabily due to the weight of the stock exhaust system. It weighs a ton.

Hope this helps,

D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. You guys are AWSOME ! To think that perfect strangers would all take the time to answer someones question is realy something. I knew I needed a good reason to get a set of Vance and Hines. I will soon get the finer details of navigating this site worked out and hope to get in on some of the discussions. I'm new to the site and the VTX but not new to bikeing. If I could only figure out computers "eh". Maybe I should take it apart and oil it. Of course, I would only use synthetic and OEM filter. Thank again.

Frank

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When I swapped mine out I weighed everything
nuts,bolts,washers.brackets ect.ect.

The net difference was 31 1/2 lbs.

Than went on the Adkins diet lost an additional 43 lbs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's the crown in the road.

·
Registered
841 Posts
roadrage said:
A lot of times it is, but the stock Retro pipes ARE heavy. Even on a perfectly flat surface, the bike will want to go right (it's not exactly a "pull"). The very same bike will track straight when going to a lighter exhaust.

·
Registered
687 Posts
roadrage said:
So, if it still pulls whilst driving in a parking lot, what could it be then? Like I said, mine and several others that I've ridden pulled no matter what the surface was. That is, until I swapped exhaust and changed out the tires. No more pull.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same thing

Mine did the same thing from the day I bought it new. I then changed the front tire to a Metzler at 11000 miles and again at 22000 and have not had a problem since then.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Have you ever noticed how the engine sits on the frame? Look where the jugs end up near the tank on the top and you should see more room between the top of the jugs and the tank on the left side than on the right. There's more meat of the engine out the right side, I noticed this while trying to place lighting under the tank to shine down on the motor. This might be a contributing factor to the complaint you have as well as the pipes being on the right as well.

Don

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Stock pipes
Slide your butt(depending how much you weigh)1 3/16-1 5/16 to the left.

Big shots only 3/16- 5/16 left.
Should be okay

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
So what your all saying is that the Honda engineers misplaced the center of gravity... Wow, I would have thought after building over 5 million motorcycles they would know how to place it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
So what your all saying is that the Honda engineers misplaced the center of gravity... Wow, I would have thought after building over 5 million motorcycles they would know how to place it.
I'm saying that the stock Dunnies may be the culprit, as changing them made the biggest difference and seemed to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
How much do you think the driveline and final drive on the right hand side weigh? I have heard this "pipes weigh so much" stuff for years. I agree with the other guy who said that the Honda engineers know better than to weight down on side or the other. Myself I don't have any problem in a parking lot other than cars. I wonder why guys who make learn to ride videos never mention anything about Honda manufacturing off center bikes. I have Paladin’s video on how to ride, where he rides an X and he makes no mention of this myth. All bikes no matter what the brand have this tire wear pattern.

·
Registered
841 Posts
DonG said:
Have you ever noticed how the engine sits on the frame? Look where the jugs end up near the tank on the top and you should see more room between the top of the jugs and the tank on the left side than on the right. There's more meat of the engine out the right side, I noticed this while trying to place lighting under the tank to shine down on the motor. This might be a contributing factor to the complaint you have as well as the pipes being on the right as well.

Don
The forward jug is right of center and the aft jug is left of center. You will run into that loss of space under the tank much more quickly on the right side because the tank is tapered aft (i.e. all that space that you see to the left on the forward jug is not going to be there on the right of the aft jug.)

And RR, Jerry Palladino doesn't mention anything about this "myth" because his tape deals with riding your bike with hands ON the handlebars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Problem faced before...

I have a good buddy who bought a 03 Retro Spoke and his pulled (or tracked, whatever) to the right alot worse than my 02 Retro with cast wheels. I rode it and confirmed it, it was definately NOT RIGHT!! After getting the run around from Honda for 3 or 4 months, they finally broke the bike down and found what the problem was......untrued wheel!! They replaced the wheel and the problem went away. Alot of guys on this board will (and have) confirmed, changing the pipes will make a difference, but not too much. The bike should only track very slightly right, not a real abrupt track, if everything is set up right. If it pulls enough to make you feel uncomfortable, make Honda check it out, and don't take the "it's the pipes" crap from them. Make them work for their money.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The VTX's pull and so do the Aero's. It not the crown in the road, anybody that says this hasn't rode on with no hands. I don't buy the muffler weight theory either.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts