Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking of taking a little vacation to the Smokey Mountains this summer and want to ride the dragons tail while Im there. The lovely misses has now thrown a complete fit about bringing the X on a trailer to do that and says lets just do it in the truck which would be fine but we all know thats not the same thing now is it. So Im thinking that there has to be somewere to rent a Wing or something like that. Might be able to pull that off with out ticking her off to bad.

I have seen 1 place that rents 650 dual sports but thats not quite what I was after. Thought somebody might have a link somewere in that area that would do that.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
let her drive the truck and you ride your X.... be a LOT easier if women just thought "right".:rolleyes::mrgreen:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can understand her not wanting to ride the bike from TX.
But why would she have a problum with you pulling the bike
on a trailer:confused::confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason she doesnt want the bike up there is she doesnt like the idea riding that rode. Shes afraid of everything. So I told her to give me a few hours on the X out there and she told me that didnt want me running off by myself. So Im thinking if I can find a place to rent from I can wait for her to say she wants to take one of those 3 hrs noon time naps that she likes to take and I can sneek out for a little road time. Plus she wont have to look at the bike the whole time were out there, so mabee she will be in a better mood. Hopefully I wont get put on strike while we are out there.

This marrige thing is like a game of chess, always got to have a strategy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
http://www.ismoky.com/mountains/services/rentalcars.html

http://www.smh-d.com/motorcycles_rentals.php

These are a couple I found. I was at the H-D dealer in Maryville for a toy run with live band (friends of mine) afterward last year. They have a good setup for events such as live music, large outdoor area and a smaller indoor area. Would have liked to hear music in the indoor part, but the toy run had way too many participants for that room.

Good luck talking the missus into letting you trailer your bike. If that doesn't work out, one of these links might help out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
remind her what Johnnie Blaze says.... "You can't live in fear... you can't live in fear."

·
Registered
808 Posts
Tell her I just got my bike and im a newbie... i rode the smokies this past summer and planning on going down that dragon this coming summer. Not that it helps that I did it...just i am a newbie might help some.... It really isn't that bad and unless she just hates bikes.....she is surely to love the ride once she is on it. Good luck guy...I would probably be divorced over what your going thru LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
My sister-in-law rented a Harley Fatboy in Memphis cause we couldn't find a Honda when she came to visit - pretty pricey. Then while we were in Nashville we found a brochure from http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/namerica/usa/tennessee/nashville_rental.html - prices were about half of what she paid for the Harley. We haven't tried them yet but will next time we need to rent. The 750 Shadow should be all you need for riding the twisties in the Smokeys though they have a 1300 VTX for a bit more cash. Good luck and enjoy the ride!!!

Ladyrider
1800R
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:D:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow are you going to mess up big time here. Plan is to sneak out while she's asleep and do something she is dead set against? You need to work this out before you go. Marriage is give and take. You take advantage of her and she will give you an asset chewing all the way home. 23 years of experience here. :shock:

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
I'm thinking she'll be reading this post before long....~M :yikes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your taking a trip with the wife keep her happy and just plan a ride without her then you can enjoy both trips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was telling her what some of the bikes cost to rent tonight and she didnt have anything bad to say. She still dont want to ride out there but thats not suprising and would not push here to. Shes only been on the bike with me a few times and thats been fairly close to the house were she was familiar with the area and more comfortable. So I would never push her to ride out there just I want to go. But I think shes starting to warm up to little letting me go. In an earlier post I said I would go when she was napping. Thats what I have been telling her I was going to do. No secret to her just that she would not miss me. Just thought I would clear that up. Im luky enough that my wife usually dont give me any flack from her. But with the MC she just gets worried for my saftey.

Thanks for the help yall.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Drop her off in Pigeon forge and she will forget about all about you :thumbup:

Here's a rental place near by.

http://www.eagleriderofknoxville.com/index.htm

Don't forget to take some time to ride on one of the 1500 go kart tracks :lol:

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Several points need to be made:

1) You do NOT want to ride the Dragon on an bike you are unfamiliar with. The tree of shame is decorated with the remains of bikes taken on such foolish endeavors.

2) There are many wonderful roads up there that are super-scenic, enjoyable to ride, and non-threatening to your wife; The Blue Ridge Parkway is just one of them.

Do you know how to cook a live frog??? If you try to put one in a pan of boiling hot water, they will simply jump out the instant you put them in it. If you place them in a pot of water that is room temperature and add a few dead flies from time to time (they love the food), turn on a very gentle heat and increase it from time to time, the frog eventually becomes too hot to get out and thereby gets cooked.

The same adage applies to your wife. Take her on non-threatening rides, add some beautiful scenery (in that area, it's hard not too), and ever so gently add a little aggressiveness and challenging roadways. Before long, two things will happen; you will become a much better rider for two-up touring, and your wife will become an accomplished passenger who will enjoy the ride.

Just a few thoughts from an old-timer . . .

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
This thread reminds me of why I got divorced. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I was telling her what some of the bikes cost to rent tonight and she didnt have anything bad to say. She still dont want to ride out there but thats not suprising and would not push here to. Shes only been on the bike with me a few times and thats been fairly close to the house were she was familiar with the area and more comfortable. So I would never push her to ride out there just I want to go. But I think shes starting to warm up to little letting me go. In an earlier post I said I would go when she was napping. Thats what I have been telling her I was going to do. No secret to her just that she would not miss me. Just thought I would clear that up. Im luky enough that my wife usually dont give me any flack from her. But with the MC she just gets worried for my saftey.

Thanks for the help yall.
Dude you must explain PMS to her. She gets nasty when she has it and so do you....
Parked Motorcycle Syndrome is not a good thing around my house ;)

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The reason she doesnt want the bike up there is she doesnt like the idea riding that rode. Shes afraid of everything. So I told her to give me a few hours on the X out there and she told me that didnt want me running off by myself. So Im thinking if I can find a place to rent from I can wait for her to say she wants to take one of those 3 hrs noon time naps that she likes to take and I can sneek out for a little road time. Plus she wont have to look at the bike the whole time were out there, so mabee she will be in a better mood. Hopefully I wont get put on strike while we are out there.

This marrige thing is like a game of chess, always got to have a strategy.
Maybe it is time to find a chess mate that can play at your experience level. :grin:

John

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do you know how to cook a live frog??? If you place them in a pot of water that is room temperature and add a few dead flies from time to time the frog eventually becomes too hot to get out and thereby gets cooked.
Phideaux - That's My Favorite "Boiled Frog with Dead Fly Gravy" Yummy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts