Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just noticed this today while going for a ride today. I have a K&N filter in a stock air box, as well as hollowed out stock pipes.

When I go to gun the throttle, it doesn't seem as responsive as it was awhile ago. Currently the bike is over a month old with 3500KM on it.

I have not got my first valve adjustment done yet, but it is scheduled with the dealer for next month. Would that have something to do with the lack of power? It isn't a huge lack of power, but I notice it since I ride the bike every single day.

What could be some culprits causing this?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
JamesA said:
i just noticed this today while going for a ride today. I have a K&N filter in a stock air box, as well as hollowed out stock pipes.

When I go to gun the throttle, it doesn't seem as responsive as it was awhile ago. Currently the bike is over a month old with 3500KM on it.

I have not got my first valve adjustment done yet, but it is scheduled with the dealer for next month. Would that have something to do with the lack of power? It isn't a huge lack of power, but I notice it since I ride the bike every single day.

More info. Top end loss? Across the Band?
First things...Fuel Petcock "on" completely?(Not half in between) Air filter/intake obstruction? Throttle cable adjusted?

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you hollowed out your stock pipes then you will see a drop in low end power, but you will notice an increase of power in your top end.

So bad for pulling up tree stumps.

Good for highway speeding 8)

-Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BornOnFire said:
JamesA said:

First things...Fuel Petcock "on" completely?(Not half in between) Air filter/intake obstruction? Throttle cable adjusted?
I would have to say its a loss in top end performance. That is where I notice it the most for sure. I notice a bit in low end, but as Mike says thats normal so I'm happy with that.

Also, where does one get shims? Is there a place online that sells them?

I haven't even thought of checking the throttle cable, I will check it and adjust it if need be. As well as checking the air filter.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
JamesA said:
BornOnFire said:
JamesA said:

I would have to say its a loss in top end performance. That is where I notice it the most for sure. I notice a bit in low end, but as Mike says thats normal so I'm happy with that.

Also, where does one get shims? Is there a place online that sells them?

I haven't even thought of checking the throttle cable, I will check it and adjust it if need be. As well as checking the air filter.
Go read the thread that Scar linked in his reply...you will get ALL the info you need there. :wink:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing that I noticed as well when i first take the bike out. On first and second gear there is a bit of hesitation. Once I have been on the bike for about 30min, it disappears.

Would tuning the carb solve this problem as well?

·
Registered
126 Posts
JamesA said:
One thing that I noticed as well when i first take the bike out. On first and second gear there is a bit of hesitation. Once I have been on the bike for about 30min, it disappears.

Hey James,

First of all, welcome.

Let us know how you work the choke when the bike is cold...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MNDVTX said:
JamesA said:

Hey James,

First of all, welcome.

Let us know how you work the choke when the bike is cold...
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Depending on how warm it is out, I usually do not pull the choke it. She just fires up, a couple twists of the throttle and she is up and running. I let it run for about 5-10 minutes before take off.

When she doesn't start off the bat. I pull the choke out for about 30 seconds then push it back in and let the bike warm up.

Crap and I meant to say 2nd and 3rd have the slight hesitation. Not first and second. Sorry for that confusion.

Any other questions you have, I am more then happy to answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts