Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell us what you can do and have actually performed successfully on your Bikes. These are things you are comfortable doing yourself. Feel free to use this list and just add/subtract procedures.

Here's my list:
1. Oil and filter, Air filter change
2. Final Drive Oil change
3. Spark Plugs
4. Coolant Flush/Fill
5. Brakes: Change Pads, Bleed*, remove/clean/lube calipers*
6. Shock Absorber bushing change
7. Front Wheel Remove/replace
8. Turn Signal Mirrors install
9. Electrical accessory install. Lamp replace.
10. Forward Control extensions install (last bike)
11. Battery test/replace
12. Tachometer install
13. Fuel Tank Remove/replace
14. Hand Grip Install
15. Font Fender Remove/Replace (last bike)
16. Shift Pedal removal/lube/replace
17. Exhaust Removal, Gasket replace
18. Windshield Install
19. General accessory install. Rear rack, saddlebags, pass backrest, floorboards etc.
20. Kickstand remove/lube

On the list to be added SOON:
1. Fork Oil Change
2. Brake Pedal remove/lube/replace

Would like to be able to remove back wheel but do not have a lift that goes high enough and no garage. Carport has a slanted concrete surface which would make it difficult/problematic to have the entire bike off the ground.

* indicates procedures recently added

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
ah, for me.... I can not remember everything I can do..
as I have never failed at what I wanted to do..
:)

I "NOW" have a car port.. I so miss my 24x24 garage..
bike jack ( Sears ) and bike stand... did my rear tire last fall.

IMG_1403 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

so you know...
with a little care and a friend.. you can lay the bike on its side to remove rear wheel/tire...

homemade 2x10 and 2 2x4.. goes just before the rear tire.. rotate the 2x10.. back wheel/tire is up for wheel removal..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, for me.... I can not remember everything I can do..
as I have never failed at what I wanted to do..
:)

I "NOW" have a car port.. I so miss my 24x24 garage..
bike jack ( Sears ) and bike stand... did my rear tire last fall.

IMG_1403 by Chuck_Honda

so you know...
with a little care and a friend.. you can lay the bike on its side to remove rear wheel/tire...

homemade 2x10 and 2 2x4.. goes just before the rear tire.. rotate the 2x10.. back wheel/tire is up for wheel removal..
I thought of you when i was making my list...lol I was ready for your response ?

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
I was raised a shade tree mechanic....of all my vehicles I farmed out very little....Ive even learned to work on my Civic Hybrid that my sister gave me....having said that Ive done/do all the work on my X, with the exception of mounting Tires.......I remove and take to a mom and pop around the corner...its never been to a dealer..if my health doesnt get in the way there is nothing I wouldn’t attempt on the X...but hey no worries their bullet proof...
I have a huge 2 car garage...with carport to match...with every kind of tool I need ,including air compressor ,stand and jack...even an overhead hoist...I’m good to go...

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
I think the most difficult job was for my friend Dennis J.

80's Chevy 3500 Van. it was 6 years old at the time.
spun a main crankshaft bearing.
very work involved to remove engine.
so replaced all bearings and crankshaft with engine still bolted in the engine bay..
on my back.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did a lot of my own work on my VTX 1300 thanks to the help of the great people on this Forum very helpful with posting their knowledge when i asked questions

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
I understand machines, electrical, hydraulics..
if it ran on gasoline. I worked on it.
as a mechanic ( cycles and cars ). I never wanted to make contact with owners..
and rarely did.

but humans. not so much.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Not sure what the purpose of making a list is for, maybe bragging rights? :unsure: Perhaps its to prove who has more time to waste than others.......

OK, I'm bored and have some time so here's my list:
1. Oil and filter, Air filter change
2. Final Drive Oil change
3. Spark Plugs
4. Coolant Flush/Fill
5. Brakes: Change Pads, Bleed
6. Shock Absorber bushing change
7. Front Wheel Remove, Rear Wheel Remove & replace.
8. Lube final gear splines, replace final gear oil
9. Replace rear signals with aftermarket and rewire
10. Replace stock pegs with hand made custom (other bike)
11. Battery test/replace
12. Install Hondaline driving lights
13. Replace clear driving light lenses with custom amber glass hand cut out from amber bulbs and placed into housing after removing clear lenses
14. Hand Grip Install & cover with hand made laced leather grips
15. Font & rear fender remove /Replace (other bike )
16. Shift Pedal removal paint replace (other bike)
17. Exhaust Removal, Gasket replace
18. General accessory install (various chrome parts)
19. Hand made saddlebags mounting bracket & mounted bags
20. Pull stock throttle and clutch cable and replace with steel braided
21. Pull carb and do SCAR MOD
22. Custom fabricate a Harley Cow Bell horn mount and mount a working Harley horn into it
23. Customize my stock seat with chrome studs I bought and put on.
24. Customize my side covers with leather covers and decorate with braided leather.
25. Pull the stock driver seat cover and have it remade with fake alligator vinyl top and contrasting color side panels.
26. Attach custom leather braid to custom seat by hand.
27. Replace front signal bulbs and lenses with aftermarket (LED & Kury smoked lenses)
28. Replace rear signals with custom black aluminum housing halogen bulbs
29. Replace stock headlight bulb with brighter Silver Star bulb.
30. Replace rear brake bulb with custom Tailblazer (Brighter than stock & pulses).
31. Pull stock exhaust heat shields and replace with custom serrated.
32. Pulled stock handlebar risers and replaced with higher
33. Did valve adjustment at 8K miles thanks to this forum

Work done on my other bike (VStar 1100):
34. Pulled dual carbs and bench synchronized, then synchronized with hand made synchronize tool/replace
35. Pulled exhaust headers, cut off header heat shields and hand wrapped with heat wrap.
36. Installed torque cones in headers.
37. Pulled off stock exhausts and replaced with VTX headers hand cut and hand sanded bare stainless to a chrome finish.
38. Fabricated a mounting bracket to hold on custom exhausts.
39. Pulled front tire and had retro Firestone tire mounted.
40. Pulled rear tire and painted final drive.
41. Custom fabricated a bracket and mounted Harley chrome tool box
42. Pulled stock dog dish style air filter and replaced with under fuel tank 'air pods'
43. Fabricated bracket and mounted faux Bendex style air filter where dog dish filer was (just for looks- real filters are under tank).
44. Pulled handlebars and risers and replaced with custom 'dog bone' risers and clubman style handlebars.
45. Cut off handlebar mounted choke from left signal control and re-routed/mounted it under the tank then fabricated, painted and mounted a metal bottom to the control that was cut off.
46. Drilled the handlebars to route the hand control wiring internally through the bars for cleaner look.
47. Made custom upper fork cover decorations and mounted them (see photo)
48. Installed fork boots for retro look
49. Pulled stock front signals and replaced with LED's
50. Cut stock rear signals and license plate mount and relocated signals with custom Hologen bulbs and fabricated my own license plate bracket.
60. Pulled stock brake pedal, & cut the metal footrest into a diamond shape, drilled decorative holes, painted and replaced.
61. Fabricated an aluminum tank divider with fake bolts.
62. Installed a much louder than stack STEBEL air horn.
63. Installed pulsing rear brake/signal unit that pulses both rear signals and brakes at same time.
61. Pulled stock painted brake reservoir, stripped paint and polished aluminum to chrome finish.
62. Pulled tank instrument cover & custom painted chrome to black
63. Pulled engine head 'plasti-chrome' covers, sanded chrome and painted faux hammered metal (tops & bottoms) and polished aluminum (side strip).
64. Custom painted seat & hand attached braided leather trim along seams.
65. Pulled stock smog crap off engine.
66. Fabricated my own muffler baffles and installed.

Other bikes I've owned (8 street bikes) I never owned long enough to do any wrenching on other than regular oil, filter and plugs work, & they were all new or new-ish and in great shape. I've done re-chroming on a Goldwing I restored that a guy left outside too long. I brought it back to new condition (pulled lots of parts and re-chromed).

Cars? I've done all kinds of work on them from replacing brakes to rebuilding a Ford Mustang engine. Did all my own tune-ups back in the days when you could actually tune a carbureted engine with a timing light.

My VStar 1100:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Quite a list! Surprised you never did the Fork Oil change... You reminded me of a few things i had left off my list too.

21. Installed LED rear turn signals (last bike)
22. Customized brake pedal. Removed, heated with torch, reformed, dunked, had re-chromed, replaced. (last bike) The stock pedal form didn't fit well with my big feet.
23. Designed, Drew and found a machine shop to fabricate custom heal shifter (last bike)

Pics:

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
made Baker wings.. before they became a company, 1972
altered car CB radio... weatherproof.. mounts... moved mic connector to rear of unit... altered circuits for micro switch PPT into turn signal housing. .. home made boom mic, with clutch movement, using powered condenser mic..
.. helmet speakers.
all this in early 1970's...

floor boards for engine guards late 1970's. for goldwings.

altered car trailer brake controller ( electronic ) for motorcycles... mid 1980's..

weatherproof radar detectors.. for motorcycles.. early 1980's.. before anyone made one for motorcycles.

made battery box's for motorcycle pop-up campers... for lights and fan inside... with frame mounted 120 volt charger... and circuits for motorcycle to charge trailer battery while riding.. after bike battery is fully charged ( automatic ). 1988

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
a few items.. I did not make but installed... for customers

superchargers into 1000 cc Goldwings. late 1970's (3)
internet photo of kit

yes.. distributor kits as well..
electric reverse kits for Goldwings. late 1970's , early 1980's. ( many )
converted Honda CB750 into Rickman cafe' racers.. frame replacement.. mid to late 1970's. (4)
2 went to race at Mid-Ohio..

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
bragging.... some

I was a mechanic when most items were not off the shelf... aka re-manufacturered, rebuilt...

generator, alternator, starter, carburetor, some water pumps, some fuel pumps...
you got a box of parts, and did it yourself. in gas-stations, garages... etc. at home on the kitchen table :)
or purchased a NEW item . mostly from a dealership.

I am OLD,,, wrenching on cars / motorcycles since 1965,
wrenching on bicycles since 1959, by myself,,,
NO father, no mother's male friends. she had none.
first car engine I fully rebuilt was 1967
first motorcycle engine I rebuilt was 1970.

LAST engine I rebuilt... 2005, a 1972 Honda CB750.
oldest engine I rebuilt .. 1911 Maxwell car engine, 2 cylinder, air cooled. (1981) It was in boxes.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Quite a list! Surprised you never did the Fork Oil change... You reminded me of a few things i had left off my list too.
I had the fork oil changed (VStar) and had new progressive springs put in to lower the bike 1, 1/2 inches and I installed a kit to lower the rear mono-shock 2" in the rear. The seat is 25" from the ground. :eek:

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
a few items.. I did not make but installed... for customers

superchargers into 1000 cc Goldwings. late 1970's (3)
internet photo of kit
View attachment 169999
Having owned 2 Goldwings, that superchargers is just COOL! (y)Your list of experience makes me feel like a wannabee mechanic (which I mostly am).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts