Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what is the best and least cumbersome ie i do not want to put a bunch of stuff on the bike maybe something in a windhield bag or on me ??

·
Registered
665 Posts
hey battoo,

here is my set up. i purchased a cobra handheld from a local truck stop for $79.00. purchased the mic and ear peice from www.motocomm.com web site for $59.00. Use the regular antenna that came with the radio for a while, but since i have to ride in the back, no it is not because i am blk, because of my 3 in str8 hardkrome pipes with no baffles, i purchased a mirror mount antenna for semi's and mounted it on for $29.99 i will take pics sometime to day while i am cleaning da mistress up and post my set up for ya
Tiny

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Me and the wife use the Q2 Scale Rider..Its Wireless and in stereo..
It has built in FM recivor, blue tooth for your phone and with
a nav. also works bike to bike and bike to passanger. Cost about 200. a set.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Me and the wife use the Q2 Scale Rider..Its Wireless and in stereo..
It has built in FM recivor, blue tooth for your phone and with
a nav. also works bike to bike and bike to passanger. Cost about 200. a set.
Is this the same as the Scala Rider Bluetooth Teamset Headset Scala TeamSet? If it is what kind of range do you get bike to bike? I found it for $219.95. Has two headsets so I would think it is all you would need. Also can you hear is noisy situations or am I going to have to get quiter helmets?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Scala Teamset is NOT the same as the Scala Q2. They both work essentially the same but the Q2 has a much longer range making it good for bike-to-bike communications. The Scala Q2 is available as a set (pair) but it is marketed as the Scala Multiset.

Hope that helps.
John

·
Registered
669 Posts
The Scala Teamset is NOT the same as the Scala Q2. They both work essentially the same but the Q2 has a much longer range making it good for bike-to-bike communications. The Scala Q2 is available as a set (pair) but it is marketed as the Scala Multiset.

Hope that helps.
John
xactly. The teamset is for driver/passenger (iirc 10 meter) distance. Q2 multiset is 500 meters.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
They are coming out with a new Q2 any week now that has a 6 mile range.

I was at a bike shop today, that is expecting a shippment withen 30 days

Price range close to $400.00

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have been researching this same thing. And I know its a cheaper alternative but it looks like you can buy Midland GMRS radios and set them up to be used on your motorcycle for a little under $150 for a pair. This is for talking from motorcycle to motorcycle and it appears the quality is pretty good from the reviews I have seen.

Here is their website.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=140

Look under accessorys and then headsets to find the motorcycle headsets for these radios.

Also it appears that Amazon.com has the best prices on all this equipment.

Good luck. I think I may go this route in the spring myself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
com

I use the midland set up with a ram mount for the radio I can plug it into lighter socket or run it on rechargeable batteries
Whole package was under $200.00 from www.sierra-mc.com
As it is a cb I can go bike to bike (provided they have a cb) or others on raod. You can add a better antennae for longer range I just use the one on handheld

jb

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been using the "BlueAnt" interphone bluetooth system since last spring (?). It works good as an intercom for me and the wife. I also use it with a friend for bike to bike. You can only use between one other bike (or one other device) at a time. Range is stated to be 499 feet and seems to be about right. It is a straight line transmission though and I do lose comm in the twisties if we get too far apart ( no problem with cagers between us). I'm able to get about 4 hrs out of each charge if it is in the comm mode all the time . They state you can get up to 7 hrs in stand-by mode. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also use the Blueant Interphone. It works great as an intercom with the wife. I was getting tired of the headslap to the helmet when she had to go potty. I only used it once bike to bike and it worked fine. For the price, it does great. We have full face helmets so there is little wind noise.
Merfs

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did this route and only have one problem with this setup.
I have 2 helmets, 1 open face, 1 closed and I bought the Midland mic set (open and closed) for each helmet from Fry's. One comes with a boom mic, the other just a small mic, everything else is the same.

I went ahead and pulled my tank and ran the PTT (Push to talk) switch and cable and zip tied it cleanly and put everything back and have the end cable between my tank and seat. I use a tank bag to hold my radio.

My problem is that one of the helmet cables is wired backwards and when I try to use it with one helmet, the PTT switch is engaged and the radio is transmitting without pushing the PTT switch. Ok so the cable wire just needs to be "flipped" by a quick solder job, but you would think that all cables would be wired the same. The other helmet mic works perfect and I can talk within range of anyone else that has a GMRS / FMS Radio.

I also built a Y cable to split the ear plugs to also go to my iPod, so I can listen to music when I am not talking.

Of course the corresponding cable works with the corresponding helmet mic just fine, its just that I had already made one cable permanent and hid the wires.

Steve

I have been researching this same thing. And I know its a cheaper alternative but it looks like you can buy Midland GMRS radios and set them up to be used on your motorcycle for a little under $150 for a pair. This is for talking from motorcycle to motorcycle and it appears the quality is pretty good from the reviews I have seen.

Here is their website.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=140

Look under accessorys and then headsets to find the motorcycle headsets for these radios.

Also it appears that Amazon.com has the best prices on all this equipment.

Good luck. I think I may go this route in the spring myself.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have been using the "BlueAnt" interphone bluetooth system since last spring (?). It works good as an intercom for me and the wife. I also use it with a friend for bike to bike. You can only use between one other bike (or one other device) at a time. Range is stated to be 499 feet and seems to be about right. It is a straight line transmission though and I do lose comm in the twisties if we get too far apart ( no problem with cagers between us). I'm able to get about 4 hrs out of each charge if it is in the comm mode all the time . They state you can get up to 7 hrs in stand-by mode. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm
Buy.com has it for $121 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I did this route and only have one problem with this setup.
I have 2 helmets, 1 open face, 1 closed and I bought the Midland mic set (open and closed) for each helmet from Fry's. One comes with a boom mic, the other just a small mic, everything else is the same.

I went ahead and pulled my tank and ran the PTT (Push to talk) switch and cable and zip tied it cleanly and put everything back and have the end cable between my tank and seat. I use a tank bag to hold my radio.

My problem is that one of the helmet cables is wired backwards and when I try to use it with one helmet, the PTT switch is engaged and the radio is transmitting without pushing the PTT switch. Ok so the cable wire just needs to be "flipped" by a quick solder job, but you would think that all cables would be wired the same. The other helmet mic works perfect and I can talk within range of anyone else that has a GMRS / FMS Radio.

I also built a Y cable to split the ear plugs to also go to my iPod, so I can listen to music when I am not talking.

Of course the corresponding cable works with the corresponding helmet mic just fine, its just that I had already made one cable permanent and hid the wires.

Steve

How does it do with the 1/2 helmet?

I use a 1/2 helemt most of the time, and a 3/4 in the winter

I installed the PTT system on the Goldwing I had, because we were getting to much mic noise, and it worked great

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the 1/2 helmet it worked, although with a bit more wind noise. I would have to place the mic directly in front of my mouth, and the wind always seemed to rub the mic against my beard and I was always irritated. :mrgreen:
For the price, and being "wired", I am happy. I may go wireless someday...

Steve

How does it do with the 1/2 helmet?

I use a 1/2 helemt most of the time, and a 3/4 in the winter

I installed the PTT system on the Goldwing I had, because we were getting to much mic noise, and it worked great

·
Registered
313 Posts
I mostly wear half helmets also. How did the speakers mount? I am looking for a device that will allow you to change the headset so I can use the type that wrap around your ear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wear a Scorpion EXO 100 that had a zip out ear protector and took it out when I first bought and started wearing the helmet. After looking at it months later, I realized this had a speaker pouch for each ear and the Midland speakers fit perfectly. There is a small cavity with a snap that runs behind the back that you can hide the wire to the speaker. I usually tuck the main wire harness inside my jacket and run it to the seat / tank area where it connects to my tank bag.

I will say that I was very impressed with this feature on the helmet, It just took a few months to realize what it was and start utilizing it. :mrgreen:

I mostly wear half helmets also. How did the speakers mount? I am looking for a device that will allow you to change the headset so I can use the type that wrap around your ear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Me and a friend use the Scala Q2. I works great. It mounts right on the helmet and uses bluetooth so you can recieve phone calls from you cell phone or instructions from a bluetooh compatible GPS system. The range is approximately 1/2 of a mile. The set was $240, but the communication is clear and hands free. It also has a FM tuner which is okay and a jack so you can listen to a mp3 player. The system will automaticly go to bike to bike when the other guy talks, or when you recieve a phone call. A little on the expensive side, but it works well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts