Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Haven't posted in a while.
I have been looking for information about bike to bike communication using open face (3/4) helmets.
MY riding bud and I both have open face helmets and look-over windshields on our bikes.
Has anyone found a way for good communications with this setup?

Would be grateful to here of any success story's.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply's.

What I can't seem to find is if they work bike to bike with open helmets and low or no windshields.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good info on the beanie. Is that with a low windshield.
My windshield isn't low, but still have a little air turbulence around mouth. Enough where can't smoke cigar while moving.... :grin2:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have a sena 10s with my 3/4 open face.... works great... coms works great, other person can hear me fine, in fact other person had 3/4 open face as well... I thought it would be a issue, but the boom mic worked great... and I have no shield... he has a victory so it has the fairing...

Other then that, I use it every time i ride to listen to music...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a sena 10s with my 3/4 open face.... works great... coms works great, other person can hear me fine, in fact other person had 3/4 open face as well... I thought it would be a issue, but the boom mic worked great... and I have no shield... he has a victory so it has the fairing...

Other then that, I use it every time i ride to listen to music...
Thankyou Ken. This is just the information I wanted.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thankyou Ken. This is just the information I wanted.

NP, in fact the helmet that I use it with is the HJC IS-33 II... I does have a shield, but I haven't used it with the helmet yet... (I will for long trips, like this May going to NC- Maggie Valley), so I will use the sheild just for the trip down and back, since 7-8 hours of Highway will get to you after awhile) This helmet has the resessed areas for the speakers as well... if your in the market for a helmet I really like this one... just a fyi.

My normal commute to work is 73-75 miles round trip... and I always have the music Jamming with the sena... and if you want to make a phone call, that works great too.... Last year is when I really used the bike to bike comms, my friend had one and was leading and I was in the rear... heading to Maggie valley last year... it was great to be able to communicate when I needed fuel (unfortunately, I always needed fuel first damn 1800 likes to eat and my tank is smaller). also the one of the other guys, we talked him in to getting one for this year... so will will have at least 4 people using them this trip...

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Helmet to helmet communication?
I tell my wife that kind of magical voodoo hasn't been invented yet .... :grin2:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NP, in fact the helmet that I use it with is the HJC IS-33 II... I does have a shield, but I haven't used it with the helmet yet... (I will for long trips, like this May going to NC- Maggie Valley), so I will use the shield just for the trip down and back, since 7-8 hours of Highway will get to you after awhile) This helmet has the resessed areas for the speakers as well... if your in the market for a helmet I really like this one... just a fyi.

My normal commute to work is 73-75 miles round trip... and I always have the music Jamming with the Sena... and if you want to make a phone call, that works great too.... Last year is when I really used the bike to bike comms, my friend had one and was leading and I was in the rear... heading to Maggie valley last year... it was great to be able to communicate when I needed fuel (unfortunately, I always needed fuel first damn 1800 likes to eat and my tank is smaller). also the one of the other guys, we talked him in to getting one for this year... so will will have at least 4 people using them this trip...
My riding buddy is stuck on the Scala. It has some feature the Sena does not have. But every time I look for real world testing of bike to bike coms with 3/4 helmets and no or low shield the people are always using Sena. The Scala may work just as well. Just not seeing it anywhere.
There is a newer Sena now. But the price is nuts.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Helmet to helmet communication?
I tell my wife that kind of magical voodoo hasn't been invented yet .... :grin2:
You may have to cover her eyes once in a while.
I see you are in Burlington. Nice area. My niece lives there on the end of Lake Ontario by the skyway.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
You may have to cover her eyes once in a while.
I see you are in Burlington. Nice area. My niece lives there on the end of Lake Ontario by the skyway.
Could well be my neighbor. My son was married at the sailing club right there

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could well be my neighbor. My son was married at the sailing club right there
They are actually into Hamilton by about 2km on Beach Blvd. Still not far from you.
Hard to tell when in Hamilton or Burlington.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts